How can I a pickey eater lose weight?? Please need serious help

Options
biglo69
biglo69 Posts: 3 Member
Hello,
I am 45 years old and weigh 300lbs. I am such a picky eater that I don't know how I am this big. Need some ideas on how to eat healthy with what I currently eat.. Chicken, turkey, rice, eggs, cheese, bread (get the picture).. This seems like my whole list. I hate veggies but I am willing to try if I could find a way too cook them where I will eat them... Also diet Pepsi is a staple in my life that needs to go.. How do I stop when all I drink is milk, water and diet Pepsi.. I feel so helpless

Replies

• JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am also an extremely picky eater. The only way you can lose weight is calories in verse calories out. Many will say you need to eat veggies and fruits and this and that, it's not true. I have lost almost 40 pounds eating whatever the heck I want. I have a diet coke next to me as we speak. You eat what you like to eat, just fit it into your calorie goal for the day. There is no secret way to lose weight. Everything you posted can easily fit into a calorie goal, just have to make it properly. If you eat fried chicken, make it grilled. If you eat 3-4 eggs eat 2. If you eat 3 pieces of cheese eat 1. It really just comes down to moderation. Good luck. You can do it! Also there are so many healthy recipes online and on this site that includes that foods that you do eat, it's a great way to get new ideas.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You just need a calorie deficit
  • momoffour2013
    momoffour2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I sneak my veggies in with protein shakes. I have a hard time eating some otherwise. Try not to waste your calories on soda though. Try carbonated water it's the fizzy stuff we like not so much the soda :) good luck to you and feel free to add me if you would like .
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Raw baby carrots and salads are the staple vegetables in my new diet. I add others too, because I've grown to like them. If that's your list of food you like, eat at a deficit. The problem comes down to, eating filling foods to stay in your calorie deficit. If you can add any vegetables to your chicken and rice, it'll make it more filling. Diet Pepsi isn't the healthiest thing in the world to drink, but try cutting back, NOT cutting out. There's no need to cut it out completely. You can have ALL the things on your list. In fact cutting back on servings when you're a picky eater will be easier, because you just eat less. Most people struggle finding new things to have on their "new lifestyle" so eating simply will maybe help.
    You just need a deficit to lose weight. You can do this!
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I drink only Diet Dr. Pepper. Everything else I like has sugar in it and I live with an insulin pump so I just don't drink milk, fruit juices, etc. I also can barely stand water. I have never been one to drink water unless I was crawling thru the desert and nothing else was available. Two things in your list that I would give up for the most part are cheese and bread. Both have a lot of calories for how little they will fill you up. I happen to love fruit so I snack on seedless grapes and cherries. I eat 4 or 5 bananas per day. I just ate some pineapple slices with my lunch. Veggies? I have either a serving of green beans, broccoli, corn, or cauliflower with most evening meals; and, that's the extent of the veggies I eat. I happen to like all 4 of them quite a bit; but, there aren't too many others I care for. As others have said, eat what you like; but, be sure you take in no more than the net calories the MFP calculator allows and you will lose weight. In order to keep below the MFP calorie calculator, I find it necessary to do some serious exercising as I can't make it thru most days on only the 1200 calories it wants me to have. I eat in the 1500 - 2200 calorie range and then exercise my way well below the 1200 number.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Well, luckily, weight loss doesn't care if you are a picky eater.

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories (if you are losing faster than expected after logging for a few weeks, then up the % you eat back). Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the best forum posts such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want. But half of the portions you normally eat. And really, food is fuel. Just stop eating what you want. I have a friend who is size zero, all she drinks is Diet Coke mixed with skim milk. She eats like a bird. She never exercises. But, the key is that she is a very picky eater. She hates meat, cheese, fruit, vegetables. She pretty much sticks to bread and cereal. I have literally never seen her eat a meal in a restaurant. She thinks they are filthy. If she travels, she grabs a Diet Coke and a bottle of milk from the store, with some crackers. She never cooks, or buys food.

Yet, men are crazy about her. I guess she is a cheap date.
  • biglo69
    biglo69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone
  • ShawndraHiggins
    ShawndraHiggins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a picky eater too. I currently weigh 230lbs and also hate veggies unless some of them are raw and dipped in ranch lol I just joined this community and am really excited to find like minded friends so we can encourage one another:) I've actually finally found a berry flavored green drink powder that fits in 8 servings of fruits & veggies for me. I mean I actually like this brand!! Lol if you like the fizz ( I don't fyi ) you can just add it to your sparkling water! :) I like to add it to my juice and sprinkle it on my grapefruit to make it sweeter :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You just need a calorie deficit

This. Just eat less than you burn. You don't HAVE to eat veggies to lose weight. You can still drink milk and lose weight. You have to create a caloric deficit. If you are eating 3000 cals a day, lower it to 2000 calories and you will lose weight.