I binged. Now I'm in tears.

Options
I've been low carbing for about a month now. I really like how I feel on the diet physically. But this morning, I lost all control and totally binged on 100 carbs of cookies and cinnamon sticks from pizza hut that were left laying around. It was bad. In the moment there was a voice in my head saying "Stop. You're going to regret this." and I just ignored it. Now I feel physically ill and emotionally distraught.
I have depression and bipolar. My meds were recently changed (only a week ago) because I'd been drowning in some profound depression that my other med wasn't handling anymore. So, needless to say, I'm an emotional eater and I'm depressed.
Total self sabotage. I need to knock this crap off. For now, I just needed someone to tell.
Tomorrow is another day right?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep, tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up, it happens. You can do this!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Log it accurately & honestly, then let it go. Logging works.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. And deprivation leads to bingeing. Rather than going on (and eventually off) a diet, make some healthy, sustainable lifestyle changes.
  • always1011
    always1011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is always a few bumps in the road, just look at it as that. And maybe re-evaluate your diet, will you be able to keep the low carb up long term? I think sometimes a binge comes from your body needing something, maybe your carbs/calories are too low for you and that was your body's way of letting you know.

I had to up my calories because after a few months of keeping it so low I went through a week long binge cycle. I figured out my carbs were wayyyy too low for me and my calories just weren't enough to function on. After some research and changing a bit at a time I figured out what worked better for me. I prefer the if it fits your macros approa
  • always1011
    always1011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It quit on me.

The if it fits your macros approach. It allows me more freedom to enjoy the foods I love while "being good" on what I need
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Listen you do NOT have to feel guilty about it, this not a perfect diet, this a lifestyle change that we are trying to achieve and with that it comes the ups and down, log it and move on.
    The only way this is working for me is ALWAYS knowing that there is a next meal, next day to do it better.

Just last weekend I ate popeye's and was way above my cal. Limits and so what? , I ate, I enjoyed it and move on.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    always1011 wrote: »
    I had to up my calories because after a few months of keeping it so low I went through a week long binge cycle. I figured out my carbs were wayyyy too low for me and my calories just weren't enough to function on.

After some research and changing a bit at a time I figured out what worked better for me. I prefer the if it fits your macros approach.

^This. Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Do not give up, OP!

The advice in the Sexypants post worked for me: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes tomorrow is another day... but also this happened this morning so you also have the rest of today to just get right back in there and back on your plan! I'll bet of the thousands of MFP members, not one of us hasn't done the very same thing. Also you say you've been doing the lo-carbs for a month... good for you! Sounds like success to me. You are not a failure because of this one hiccup along your journey.... You say you love how good you feel on the lo-carb so think on that and go for it. You can do this and we are out here to give you a boost when you need one. Best to you!
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you can look at the picture of the whole month. Be proud of what you have achieved and try not to let one day matter. I know for some it's easier said than done but really one day is a very small amount of time in a whole month.

Even if you did this every month for a whole year that's only twelve days in a full annual!

Every month I go off the rails with hormones and I learnt to accept it and I just do it now because I know the next month I will eat in a healthy way for 28 days (ish) and that is really doing my body some good.

I don't know if that helps you at all... I hope so. Good luck x
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. Tomorrow you will do better.
    Last night I went over. God damn kfc extra crispy chicken thighs. Had three of those, and single chocolate cake things from the freezer section, then had 3 smart ones chocolate chip cookie dough ice creams. Did I regret it? Yes I do. Am I going to dwell on it? No. It's not going to change anything. I'm back on track today and will do better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Low carb may not be your lifestyle eating plan then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    As others have said low carb may not be the way for you. It's all about CICO. You can't change what you did. What you can change is how you react to it. If you allow it to totally derail you then you lose. Just log it and it let it go. Start again tomorrow. One binge is not going to undo everything you have achieved so far.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A change in meds can always lead to problems because it alters our serotonin levels. If you're an emotional eater you were probably trying to replace what you might have lost in the crossover.

What does that mean? That in all likelihood, this was coming whether you wanted it to or not. But what's done is done. Pick yourself up and carry on. You don't exist in the past, you live in the here and now so be the best version of you you can be, i.e. let this go and get back to it. Log it and move on, y'know?

You can and will get past this hiccup, I promise.
  • gonettie2015
    gonettie2015 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You knew you'd regret it and now you're logging this event in your mind, as well as your eating diary. Think of it as experience that you'll use to be stronger against self sabotage in the future.

It was a moment. You acknowledged it.
    Now, be kind to yourself! :)
  • sunflowerblues13
    sunflowerblues13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fall seven times, stand up eight.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It happens to all of us, you log it and you move on. Don't beat yourself up over it, that doesn't do you any good. Just move on from it, we've all been there doll.
  • nowhereelysium
    nowhereelysium Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Without meaning to sound dismissive, one slip involving cookies and cinnamon sticks isn't that huge of a deal. I know it feels like it, but as you've said, you're not feeling rational at the moment.

I also deal with manic depression (as it used to be called) and you know what helps me? Going out for a walk. You probably won't want to initially, but when you're out and about (preferably somewhere where other people aren't, in my case), things will start to feel a bit better. You've also got the advantage of burning off some of the calories that you've just beaten yourself up about.

SSRIs and other anti-anxiety meds do more harm to your emotional stability than good, in my experience; especially in the first few weeks of taking them. You're effectively dealing with withdrawal from the old stuff and the side effects of the new medication, so you're going to be emotionally all over the place for a while.

Log the consumption, but also log the walking. Use a phone app to determine how far you've walked and for how long; you'll be surprised at how much it burns off, and how much it helps to stabilise your mood.
  • gonettie2015
    gonettie2015 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    how's it going, LadyLeonard84?

• hbrandy
    hbrandy Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think what Everyone has said what is totally true - also ask your family to get these things away if they can. I've only been back in track for a week and my husband pulls into the Chinese buffet today- I reluctantly go in thinking I could handle just veg and meat but caved to the coconut shrimp - I should have asked him to go somewhere else - to avoid temptation-but I logged it all and now I have to work out if I want to eat again today.
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I know personally how big of a *kitten* the ups and downs of bi-polar can be. It can definitley make success in this dept a bit more challenging, especially if you equate eating and stress relief/release (most of us do to some extent).

One incident isn't a failure, it's how you go from here that defines your success. Do you give up, or do you use your slip up as motivation to take your mission further.

This might be another (more harsh) way of looking At it, but it's what's helped me the most. There's whiners and there's improvisors. You can wallow in self pity and look for others to join you in doing so here online, or you can refuse to be knocked down and defined by your past mistakes, and go do something NOW to show yourself you can.

Get up go for a walk or jog, whatever, anything other than feeling sorry for yourself. Your negative emotions are your worst enemy right now so do something to feel good about and see what suits you better!
  • cristical
    cristical Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I actually have two cheat meals a week. It has been the only way for me to lose weight. I have to have my "fix" at times. This has been the longest I have dieted and the most success i have ever had. I just do whats best for ME and what works. Dont be so hard on yourself :)