Question for those who do early morning workouts

Options
Do you eat before you workout? I just read that it is bad for you to workout on an empty stomach.

Read it here if anyones interested. http://shine.yahoo.com/event/workingit/eating-mistakes-that-squash-workout-results-2488742/

by the way i was wondering because i was going to start early morning workouts, but i just can't eat that early.

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I work out in the morning smply because I don't feel hungry. I'm usually up and ready to go and, besides, for me jumping around with anything other than water in my stomach would make me throw up. :-/
  • SpazEMcGee
    SpazEMcGee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If I workout in the morning I don't eat before. But then again, my morning workout isn't very strenuous. I just go for a quick 3-4 minute jog and then walk for about 5-6 minutes. Just enough to wake me up and get the blood flowin a lil bit.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat something before I work out at 6am. But sometimes, I do realize that I SHOULD and I will eat a small portion of oatmeal. But for the most part, I don't eat before my morning workout because I'm just not hungry...
  • fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before my workouts either because I am not hungry; I prefer fasting before workouts.

I have no clue if this is correct or not but I don't want my body trying to work off the food I just ate but instead working off the fat I have stored!! In my head it makes sense :)

I eat within 30 min post work out though!
  • cabbiegabby
    cabbiegabby Posts: 14
    Options
    i notice if i eat before i work out i get sick
  • tropicalicyicy
    tropicalicyicy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i have to eat something before i work out otherwise i feel sick and dizzy, especially chugging water on an empty stomach. i don't have to eat much...even a half of a banana works, as long as it's something.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm on the C25K plan. I bring water, but I'm not interested in food beforehand. I get up, put on my running outfit (which can scare dogs and small children) and go for it.

After I get done, I drink more water, take a shower, get dressed, and then a while later I eat when I'm hungry or before I go to the office.

I'm not too worried about needing food just yet. I've only just started running.
  • kctbo
    kctbo Posts: 29
    Options
    I have heard that if you excerise on an empty stomach you are actually working off stored fats...I hope this is true because it is what I have been doing.
  • tameranet
    tameranet Posts: 2
    Options
    I always eat a piece of fruit or a fruit smoothie before working out.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i eat a piece of fruit befor and a cup of coffee black befroe I work out then have my breakfast after with protein and fiber to refuel and hold me untill mid morning snack.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before workouts in the morning. I usually follow them with a good high protein breakfast. It's too early at 5am for me to eat seems to work for me.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I usually have half (or a whole) banana.

There are a lot of different opinions- for me I like having something in me for my workout. I feel like it helps me put maximum effort into my workout. Others don't like to have anything in their stomachs, and feel it helps them perform.

But I say, try a few different things, keep and open mind, and stick with what makes you feel best.
  • innerspiraling
    innerspiraling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It depends on the length of the workout. If I am only working out for an hour or a little more, I won't eat before. If I am planning a longer workout, I will occasionally eat before (like on weekends if it is later or I have more time), but usually I will just use a gel or sports drink during the workout. I really like the products from Hammer Nutrition - I use their gel, sports drink and recovery drink. It's always important to eat soon after the workout especially if you don't eat before/during.

For reference, I train for endurance cycling, so a longer workout can be several hours in length.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    actually you are partially correct. it also will go for the glycogen stores in your muscles and make you perform sub par.
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    I am struggling with this too. I usually have a good filling breakfast, but have to just eat a bowl of cold cereal before I go to the gym now. I can then have some yogurt or something after my workout, and that's when I take my vitamins.

I used to run a lot in the mornings, and would never eat before I ran. I would get an upset stomach if I ate before I ran. Since I've had some stomach problems I want to have a little something in there before I work out or I get too acidy.

I read the material you mentioned. Looks interesting, but since I used to run on an empty stomach and lose weight I am a bit more skeptical. For weight lifting I can definitely see eating before making sense.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If I feel particularly hungry before a workout, then I'll eat half of a banana. My workouts are usually too intense to eat before hand. I've had episodes that weren't pretty. I eat a good protein breakfast or protein shake after the workout.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat only because I run long distance and I need the fuel to keep me going. That means that I have to get up extra early so I can digest a little before I start my run so I don't get cramps. I don't think it's bad to do a workout on an empty stomach. There is one school of thought that says you burn more fat since your body has nothing else to "eat". I think it is essential to eat directly after your workout, though, so your efforts aren't wasted.
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I swim for 45 minutes 4 or 5 times a week early in the morning 6am and there is no way I can eat that early it would make me sick...

I was discussing this with my PT as the standard advice is that you should eat before working out in the morning however he was saying that it is a common problem for people that exercise early not to be able to eat he suggested I try any or all of the following options to see what worked for me:-

1) Always drink at least a large glass of water when I get up.
    2) Eat breakfast within an hour of exercising (while my metabolism is still spinning).
    3) Try a high protein meal replacement shake or bar before exercising.

Hope this helps.....

Lucy
  • Kermit82
    Kermit82 Posts: 5
    Options
    A friend of mine, who is a trainer, said that its personal preference but if you do eat before working out, it should be something lite and easy for the body to absorb - like fruit, or OJ, or yogurt. And then after have a protein shake or scrambled egg whites or an egg white omlette.
  • lrensi
    lrensi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I go to the gym at 5:00 - 6:00 AM, then usually I just have 2 pieces of fruit and maybe some toast. If I go later, like around 7:00 - 8:00 AM then I like to add a peanut butter sandwich or something like that. I feel that it helps keep my energy up. If I don't eat, then I get light headed and hit a wall.