Eggplant recipe?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Eggplants were cheap at the store so I bought one.

I have no idea what to do with it. It's just an average size eggplant. Ideas?

Replies

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is usually what I do with one. I don't buy eggplant that often. Peel it and slice in about 3/4 inch slices. Rinse then salt both sides of the slices and let sit for an hour. Removes the bitterness. Rinse again and lay on paper towels. Spread a bit of marina in the bottom of dish, add the eggplant, parmesean cheese then more marinara and fresh basil leaves and bake for about 30 minutes. I have it with whole grain pasta because I genuinely like the taste better than 'white' pasta.

This is sort of basic because I can be lazy but you can add all sorts of veggies. No matter how you end up making it, I think the salting/rinsing part is important. Eggplant is sort of spongy when raw but when cooked it's sorta mushy. Maybe that means I'm overcooking it? Even though it's cheap I find eggplant to be more trouble than it's worth. But, like I said, I can be lazy.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Slice into rounds. Sprinkle with salt and let sit 30 min on a paper towel to draw out some of the moisture.

Place slices on greased baking sheet. Plop some cottage cheese on top. Plop a tomato slice or some diced tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.

Bake at 400 for 10-20 min or so.

ETA: It's also really good baked with salt and chili powder and a little veggie oil. But then most vegetables are. :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I sauté them up in slices, then use them as lasagna noodles.

If you have Japanese eggplant, it's amazing is stirfry
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Andalucan style eggplant that is the BEST!

1. Slice into 1-2 inch thick rounds.
    2. Soak in milk or almond milk 2 hours or more (can leave overnight. Also have had success soaking only 45 mins or so)
    3. Make a flour dredging mixture: all purpose flour, pinch of cardamom, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper all to taste.
    4. Take eggplant from milk, dredge in flour mix one or two at a time.
    5. Arrange in frying pan with a mix of olive and coconut oil (olive for flavor, coconut for stability in high heat). Should be an inch or so of oil. Fry a few minutes in each side until golden brown. Change oil if it becomes brown or burns smoky.
    6. Drain on paper towel and BEST PART!: drizzle generously with a quality raw honey and serve. (Goes well with a simple grain or on top of mixed greens).
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Place slices on greased baking sheet. Plop some cottage cheese on top. Plop a tomato slice or some diced tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.

Bake at 400 for 10-20 min or so.

That sounds pretty good! Have you ever tried it with sun dried tomatoes?

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I just made eggplant pizzas for lunch today. It was a recipe adapted from a julia child recipe. It was really good!
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    eggplant salad: buy about 4 eggplants, make sure are more long than round so it can be cooked inside too.
    place eggplants on direct flame (grill or stove). once the peel becomes flaky and burned turn them until are cooked on all sides, up and down. as soon as one is done, carefully peel burned skin. let them dry/drain on a tilted butcher block or something similar. once all are drained/dried, take one by one and chop them to make a mash. do not use blender, it will break the seeds and the taste might change. try the other side of a knife or BETTER a wood chopper. mix the mash with fine chopped onion, oil and salt.
    it is a lengthy process but it will pay off, the smell when you cook them and the end result (taste) are irreplaceable. works well with tomato salad or grilled and peeled pepper salad. I am not going to talk about the smell of grilled pepper now...

http://www.food.com/recipe/romanian-eggplant-spread-salata-de-vinate-276672

it works with or without mayo, try without at first, to undestand the taste. if you put mayo, i would recommend the home made one if possible.
    onion can be replaced with green onion, or chopped garlic and hot pepper.

it should not be low in calories due to the oil, but it is a healthy appetizer.

greek moussaka: alternate slices of eggplant, tomatoes and grounded meat. you can pick whatever meat you want, and depending on your choice, from here the spices you will use.

that is the recipe i would recommend, but not with the cheese sauce, rounded slices of tomatoes on top would look and taste perfect. if we use spices wisely, no need for cheese.
    http://greek.food.com/recipe/kittencals-greek-moussaka-88804

eggplant sidedish: it can be used with grilled meat or as a meal accompanied by polenta. grill eggplants and peppers. make a stew with sauteed onions, ripped tomatoes cubed, chunks of grilled eggplants and peppers, peeled and deseeded (the peppers, of course, haha). salt, pepper and oil to taste.

bonne apetit !
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I like to either grill slices (on my stovetop grill); roast it with other vegetables or slice pieces into french fry style slices and bake as eggplant fries.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I might try a moussaka in an individual dish. Just need to get ground beef...