The evils of sodium?

Options
Could someone explain the effects of sodium? If it has no calories, why is it such an issue? I understand sodium + water = weight gain. Can you burn more calories then you eat and still lose fat, even tho you are retaining water from sodium ? Eventually you would stop retaining water. If you can't tell I am having trouble keeping sodium down. I am not having trouble keeping calories and fat count down. Thanks Kathy

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    There are tons of health issues from too much sodium.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I generally go over on sodium, too. I think it's set so low and tracked due to the popular belief that sodium=heart attack. Research isn't proving that true, but there is nothing wrong with a "better safe than sorry" approach, and it keeps me thinking and trying not to be excessive. When I eat mostly homemade and fresh foods, my sodium levels are lower, so I do think that the typical American diet has way more sodium than is good for us.
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The bloat effect from sodium can disguise all the progress you are making by makeing you look and feel puffy! When I started my low sodium diet I lost about 4 lbs in 4 days, but I went down a whole dress size because of it. Usually, 10 lbs would be a dress size... You should also take into consideration that foods that are high in salt and preservatives have a "dousing" effect on the fires of your metabolism. You will burn calories and fat much more effficiantly by eating "cleaner" foods, i.e. avoiding canned, boxed, jarred foods as much as possible. It is a big change but one that can be made gradually as you educate yourself on foods that are high in sodium, and find healthier substitutes. Your taste buds will adjust after a while and you won't miss those salty dishes near as much as you think you would! Just start with one meal a day and see if you can switch your food choices to low/no sodium and then build on your progress! Also, drink lots of water, and take B6 or a good B complex! If you can keep your sodium under 1000 mgs a day you will do great!:flowerforyou:
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Sodium tends to raise the blood pressure, and raised blood pressure can lead to strokes. It also retains water. So the heart and brain are affected as well as a strain on the kidneys. No need to freak out...we've eaten way more sodium than we should have over the years, but paying attention is a good thing. Cut where you can. Take the time to read the labels in the grocery (not everyday, just once or twice), then make a mental note of the things you will go back to and the things to stay away from. Don't make it a chore, just a learning experience. Pick up a spice shaker before a salt shaker...give it a try!