First 5k Completed, now onto the Half-Marathon!

Options
This past Saturday I experienced my first competitive race since my track-and-field days in high school. The wonderful sense of accomplishment and the feel of that adrenaline rush kicked in again, and made me say "oh yeah, I remember THAT"....especially in the last 100 metres from the Finish. Anyways, I finished my 5k with a time of 22minutes 20 seconds; I was quite proud of myself, and am looking forward to more races in the future.

Now, I'm looking at doing the half-marathon, the "Army Run" in September. Any suggestions on a training schedule? I'd be going for a personal best, and not really "racing".

One day (I'm hoping next year) I'd like to work up to a full marathon, but for now this is what I'm aiming to complete. I run everyday, but after this weekend the world of competitive running seems so exciting and inviting, I think I've found a new hobby and love!

Replies

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Congrats on completing the 5K!

I have my first half marathon this coming Sunday. Since half marathons require a lot more endurance, you need to progressively build up your mileage over the next three months or so. Usually, your long run day during the week will be whatever day off you can squeeze it in. Easy runs during the work week and one tempo run after your first two or three weeks into your program. You build up the mileage up until about two weeks before your half. Always keep in mind the 10% rule for increasing mileage. I actually stuck with 5% increases in weekly mileage because I didn't want to over-do it.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Most half marathon classes around here require you to be able to do a 10K before you can train for a half marathon...sounds like you're up to the challenge, though, if you did a 5K in just 22:20! I have a 5K to 10K plan if you want to start your training with that and then just add to it....let me know if you want me to post the 10K training schedule.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Wow, 22:20...nice work! *mind boggle* I'm aiming for sub-25 and am not even close yet. I can't offer much in terms of training suggestions, but for now I just wanted to cheer you on! You are an inspiration! :)
  • kwann81
    kwann81 Posts: 8
    Options
    That's awesome! I've found using resources like Runner's World or even going to the Running Room to get a mock schedule of building distance over the course of a few weeks is really helpful. If you are just starting out, try to run 3k-4k about 2-3 times during the week and a 7k on the weekends and gradually build from there (5k-7k during the week and 10k-20k on weekends). I think an average length of time to build up your endurance is about 12-16 weeks but it doesn't have to be! I'm also not a professional runner or anything like that, this is just from past experience. Good luck!! I'm hoping to be back in shape to run the 1/2 in May next year for Race Weekend!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Wow, 22:20...nice work! *mind boggle* I'm aiming for sub-25 and am not even close yet. I can't offer much in terms of training suggestions, but for now I just wanted to cheer you on! You are an inspiration! :)

wow!! Incredable time!

Id pick up a running book that has a training schedule in int. There are some good ones by Jhon Stanton

Good luck. Im sure you will do amazing!
  • Tiffy11011
    Tiffy11011 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wow just over 22 mins! that's awesome! I recently did the Pittsburgh Marathon's 5K and the fast time for a woman was just over 21 mins! So that is really really fab! Go you!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Las Vegas has a 1/2 marathon in December.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ooh, Las Vegas. That'd be nice- but I'm in Ottawa, Ontario so that'd be a little pricey for me.. haha. I'd love to get down there one day though!
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Yay! Thank You :-D