I break out in itchy hives when I work out!

Options
13»

Replies

• RoadWarriorFit
    RoadWarriorFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    I actually used to have this, too! I went to a doctor, and I can't remember exactly what they said, but it was something like the blood vessels near the surface of my skin were opening and more active than they'd ever been, and it was making me itchy. And yep, it went away after about a month of regular exercise!

That was my experience as well. And blood moving quickly too any part of your body (due to exercise) can cause light headedness, stomach camping, headaches and upset stomach. I'll have spells of this occasionally, but now I'm careful too warm up and cool down. And, my doc have me an epi-pen, just in case.

Good luck!
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sounds like cholinergic urticaria -- heat hives. Do see your docter, though. Antihistamines might help, but again, talk to your doctor. Good luck!

Yes I think you will find Faithful, Caitwn and Laur357 are correct. "Cholinergic Urticaria is a medical term used to describe a subcategory of physical urticaria (hives). It is characterized by a hypersensitive response in the skin as a result of the body increasing in temperature (passively or actively), or the precipitating release of sweat. Individuals with this physical heat hives condition often ask, “Why do I itch when I get hot or exercise?” This is the most common symptom experienced by sufferers.

Individuals may experience a cholinergic urticaria reaction in response to any activity that increases overall body temperature (or causes a sweat release). Some examples include the following:
    •Taking a hot shower or bath
    •Eating spicy foods
    •Exercising or doing physical activities that increase body temperature
    •Stress or anxiety
    •Emotional responses (sadness, anxiety, anger, laughter)
    •Transitioning from a cool environment to a hotter environment without allowing the body time to slowly acclimate to the temperature difference (such as walking from a cold room to a hot room)"

We were discussing something similar the other day but I can't find the thread (I think it is in one that got nuked). My daughter used to break out in hives all the times but once we found it was brought on by extremes of heat and cold we were able to manage the problem. Definitely, antihistamines proved to be helpful.

I think you will find once you understand the problem you will be able to manage it better. Good luck.
  • swartepiet
    swartepiet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Too.much detergent when you wash.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep Benadryl with you to be safe. :)
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, but only on my legs when I'm running. I did switch to a detergent that was free and the issue has decreased. I also hydrate well before a workout and after. I saw a doctor for my itchiness a long time ago. He told me that the increased blood flow can cause the blood vessels under the surface of the skin to expand which can lead to skin irritation and itchiness. It wasn't a diagnosis though. It was just his best guess. There could be a number of causes that makes different individuals react like this. You can try some of the suggestions that have been mentioned here, but if it's severe, I would see a doctor to be safe.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was baffled when this first started happening to me. I eventually discovered that when I eat specific foods - such as shrimp - and then exercise vigorously/sweat, I first experience severe abdominal cramps, then hives (which are small and abundant all over my body and large on my face, lymph nodes and neck), a burning sensation in my palms and soles of my feet, and then eventually coughing and chest tightness. Apparently I have some food allergy that is triggered by exercise (haven't seen an allergist yet to determine exactly which foods), so I usually won't exercise after consuming the foods I do know trigger it or take a Benadryl if I'm not sure. If you're in the position to see an allergist, though, I recommend it as it's high on my priority list.
  • julescba04
    julescba04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Histamine Response

Some research suggests that histamine is released during exercise to protect against fatigue, rather than as an allergic response. Histamine works to expand blood vessels in your body, but, unfortunately, sends the itchy message to your brain. As with urticaria, taking an antihistamine before running may help, and it’s possible that as you continue your regimen, the itching will lessen.
    - See more at: http://share.upmc.com/2015/03/prevent-runners-itch-save-workout/#sthash.Sh5ezpYg.dpuf

Your doctor or an allergist can do a skin test to see if you react to histamines. Probably a good idea to talk to your doc about this one.

Good post..

I have similar problem, but happens at any time. I have to take anti-histamines every day, just so I don't claw my skin off
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    julescba04 wrote: »
    laur357 wrote: »
    Histamine Response

Some research suggests that histamine is released during exercise to protect against fatigue, rather than as an allergic response. Histamine works to expand blood vessels in your body, but, unfortunately, sends the itchy message to your brain. As with urticaria, taking an antihistamine before running may help, and it’s possible that as you continue your regimen, the itching will lessen.
    - See more at: http://share.upmc.com/2015/03/prevent-runners-itch-save-workout/#sthash.Sh5ezpYg.dpuf

Your doctor or an allergist can do a skin test to see if you react to histamines. Probably a good idea to talk to your doc about this one.

Good post..

I have similar problem, but happens at any time. I have to take anti-histamines every day, just so I don't claw my skin off

Yes I agree that for anyone with this problem, a trip to the doctor would be advisable. Hopefully, things have progressed over the past 25 years because I had absolutely no success with doctors when my daughter was having trouble with hives and welts at the time. It was her asthmatic aunt who told me my daughter was reacting to extremes of heat and cold.

Anyway, keep a note of when it happens and see if you can connect it to extremes of heat and cold eg. warming yourself against a heater or too many blankets on the bed or exercising, that sort of thing. However, if you are on a constant supply of histamines it may be difficult to notice the connection.
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Keep Benadryl with you to be safe. :)

I know Benadryl is an antihistamine, but wouldn't it dry up your and make you drowsy because it is mainly used for coughs, cold and flu. I also think if you are asthmatic there are better products to use. Once again, check with your doctor before using any medication. Often people with hives etc are allergic type people who may suffer from asthma as well. I know my daughter has to be careful with all medications because of her asthma and allergies.
  • GeckoSupervisor
    GeckoSupervisor Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a rare condition called Vibratory Angioedema (a form of urticaria) - basically I get subdermal hives whenever my skin is rubbed or moved too much. The hives last about 30 mins to an hour, and can cause pain and itching to the point of nausea. And of course, the skin vibration from running can cause a pretty severe reaction on my thighs, but rubbing clothes will also do it. Taking an antihistamine works to prevent it, and compression garments help. I also got an elliptical machine for a lower-impact exercise option, and that works great.
    You can test for it by subjecting an area of your forearm to vibratory stimulus for 4 minutes and see if a reaction occurs.
  • AJ_LadyBug
    AJ_LadyBug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Exercise-Induced Urticaria. I didn't know anyone else that would itch when exercising and people were just bewildered when I told them about it. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to exercise. One night after walking with my husband (and nearly clawing my skin off) I came home and looked in the mirror and surely enough, I was hiving. It started on my legs, then my back, then spread to my chest. My doctor suggested a daily antihistamine. I tried Allegra and noticed minimal improvement if any. When I went back to the doctor, the pharmacist there said she had the same thing and suggested I try Clariton. I switched and now don't remember having a problem with it in quite a while. You really don't want to continue to exacerbate the problem if you are hiving. Your body is having an allergic reaction which can be very dangerous. Definitely talk to your doctor about it.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My husband is sensitive to fabric softener and he also has urticaria that presents when he exercises. Antihistamine and compression clothing help him! Your Dr. should be able to confirm.
  • KelleyJoL
    KelleyJoL Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I get what my doctor calls "stress hives" when my body has to deal with sudden temperature changes. The cold bothers me most, with sucks because I live in WI. If I leave a warm cozy house and suddenly have to endure -20F, I break out into painful hives. If I leave an air conditioned house and go out into 85F and sweat, Hives. If I workout getting sweating too quickly instead of a gradual build, same thing. My body does not like temperature changes. Maybe that is why after a few weeks of working out you do better? it is less stress on your system to adjust to? Benedryl gives relief to the systems, but it also knocks me. Hydrocortizone cream is my good friend, but my Pharmacist says not to use it too often on my face. Sometimes, too, when the hives linger a couple of days after getting sweaty, I rub on an antifungal cream "just in case" my sweat fed yeast just enough to get a growth going. Since my heat hives tend to linger in my sweat creases, my Pharmacist says "it won't hurt..."
  • KelleyJoL
    KelleyJoL Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    O, let us know what your doc says. I am sure you are not alone!
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Amazing how many people suffer from this problem. I feel sorry for you as I remember how painful it was for my daughter.

Kelly, be careful with Hydrocortisone as I understand it is extremely damaging to the skin and should be used rarely. My friend has very bad eczema and the cortisone has damaged her hands to the extent that they look like the hands of a 100 year old.