Addicted to Les Mills

Options
Just me that is addicted to Les Mills classes? I just can't get enough!

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Nope. Definitely addicted.
    I've been doing combat for over 7 years now. Recently started pump.
    Also did some different programs like jam, balance, s'hbam and attack over the years. (Don't particularly like those last two though.)
  • sarabucknam
    sarabucknam Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So jealous that you have access to LM classes - there are ZERO LM classes in my repressed part of the world (otherwise known as the state of Iowa). I did the at-home versions of Pump & Combat (though BeachBody) and absolutely LOVED those.
  • Fiona_Meikle
    Fiona_Meikle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh no! That's unlucky, they are fab classes. Bring a bit of fun into exercise :)
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump. I go to it every Monday that I don't play tennis.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Pump on a Monday, RPM on a Friday. I like the current releases - no plank!
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    We don't have les mills in my area but we have something from what I gather is similar and they're group power, group core, group fight, plus a few more, and I love them! Anyone else familiar with these oraybe have experience with both and can compare?
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »
    We don't have les mills in my area but we have something from what I gather is similar and they're group power, group core, group fight, plus a few more, and I love them! Anyone else familiar with these oraybe have experience with both and can compare?

I have gone to both group power and bodypump. They are very similar but I did notice some differences. Bodypump has better music, from the mainstream singers. Bodypump seems to be a little bit faster with more reps completed per track, although most of the lifts are the same.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Have you Guys found that these Body Pump classes actually build muscle or are they like Cardio with weights? Plus, how much weight do you tend to use?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Love that stuff! Attack, combat, step, pump, are my regulars. Cx and rpm are others I've tried but rarely take!

I think pump is in the cardio weights category and not what you do to add serious muscle mass

Oh weights. Warmup 7kg total, squats 20kg, chest 7, back 17, biceps/triceps 7, lunges 17, shoulders 12

Les Mills addicts add me!!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Love that stuff! Attack, combat, step, pump, are my regulars. Cx and rpm are others I've tried but rarely take!

I think pump is in the cardio weights category and not what you do to add serious muscle mass

Oh weights. Warmup 7kg total, squats 20kg, chest 7, back 17, biceps/triceps 7, lunges 17, shoulders 12

Les Mills addicts add me!!

Thanks for the info!
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    LOVE Body Combat!!! I've been doing that for 10 years :D No class in my current area though & I was literally depressed (just a bit). There's also OnDemand from Les Mills now. They offer a 10-day trial for free & $12.99 per month for their modified 30-min videos online (almost all classes, I think). Not as fun as the full length classes but, hey, it's better than nothing! :wink:
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you Guys found that these Body Pump classes actually build muscle or are they like Cardio with weights? Plus, how much weight do you tend to use?

Body Pump classes are not optimal for adding muscle mass but you could add muscle mass if you are eating a calorie surplus with proper nutrition, it would probably just be at a slower rate than you would lifting heavier weights.
    I wouldn't call it cardio either, although there are times when your heart rate will go up and you will become winded. It's just kind of endurance weight lifting. You do a variation of lifts for 3-5 minutes at a time for each muscle group.
    My weights(plus 2lb? bar):
    Warmup: 22 kg, Squats: 42 kg, Chest: 35 kg, Back&Legs: 37 kg, Triceps: 22kg, Biceps: 22kg, Lunges: 35kg, shoulders: 22 kg.

• cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Waaah I moved away from my gym that had the les mills classes and I miss it so! I loved doing Combat, Pump, Flow and Sh'Bam especially, although I'd go rep or cxworks occasionally too. My gym now has some on-demand kind of video classes but it isn't the same.

I wouldn't say I built much muscle mass with Bodypump, even when I was going very regularly, but I was getting stronger and doing progressively heavier weights and it definitely made going on to heavy lifting easier with some form background. Definitely strength-based rather than cardio.