sugary drink issue

Options
how can i quit drinking sodas & other sugary drinks like starbucks refreshers & other starbucks drinks ?

seriously need advice. been struggling for way too long

Replies

• MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's fine to have diet soda.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just cut them down. I don't understand the question. There's nothing wrong with having one once in awhile but if gulping down X amount of calories in sugary drinks is not helping you meet your weight loss goals-stop doing that. Try putting one less sugar in one week, one less the week after. Try your coffee black. Opt for skim milk and stevia.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you're getting out of them. I mostly quit drinking soda, when I realized I could get caffeine without calories. And when I'm drinking enough water, I don't even crave soda. Figure out why you like them so much, then figure out how to get that without the calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you're getting out of them. I mostly quit drinking soda, when I realized I could get caffeine without calories. And when I'm drinking enough water, I don't even crave soda. Figure out why you like them so much, then figure out how to get that without the calories.

Good suggestion. I do that with other foods too.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    nobody is forcing you to drink them, or to go into Starbucks.

Dont drink them, replace some Starbucks for own made iced tea's or coffee ( Pinterest is full of recipes) without sugar or sugar replacements like Stevia. And you always have diet soft drinks
  • abelchuazw
    abelchuazw Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To curb my sugary drink habit, i usually put a few slices of apple in my water. Usually that does the trick and i don't have urges for sugar.

The sugar from the apples satisfies your body's cravings for sugar.
  • AdeleParli
    AdeleParli Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lemon ice water helped me with my flavored milk cravings, it might help you with sugary drinks too! I just bought a 1L drink bottle and try to drink at least one bottle a day.
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    nobody is forcing you to drink them, or to go into Starbucks.

Dont drink them, replace some Starbucks for own made iced tea's or coffee ( Pinterest is full of recipes) without sugar or sugar replacements like Stevia. And you always have diet soft drinks

I second this. You can make your own drinks and monitor the sugar amounts or just use artificial sweeteners and drink diet beverages. Alternatively, you can just plan for these sodas and Starbucks drinks in your calories for the day and make sure you don't go over your daily total. The first option saves you more money overall though. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Take a prelogged packed lunch and drinks with you and leave your cash at home.
  • seekingbetterme
    seekingbetterme Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you don't like diet soda, you could just buy soda water and flavor it with Crystal Light packets or the juice of a lemon or something like that. At first I thought I couldn't give up sugary soda but I realized that I was mainly just craving a carbonated beverage. I stick with diet soda occasionally and soda water!

You won't miss all of that sugar! I can't stand sugary soda anymore. I took a sip of my boyfriend's Coke the other day and it tasted like syrup! Yuck!
  • georgi_connor
    georgi_connor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When travelling in America for 3 months I ended up putting nearly 1.5 stone on. Within a couple weeks of getting back to England and drinking water instead of the sugary sodas I lost nearly 1 stone

Deffinately work curbing the fizzy drinks in!!
  • TeenageMutantNinjaMike
    Options
    I hear you and I have struggled on this front too. My advice is to just cut back a little bit, then a little more. I actually buy soda in bulk so I only have a certain number for the week and if I run out, then I know I am stuck. This has helped me portion them out.

Anyone who says "just don't do it" is a fool. No one would be on this site if things were that easy. Good luck!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    diet soda is worse for you than regular soda

Nope.
  • seekingbetterme
    seekingbetterme Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    diet soda is worse for you than regular soda

I've been drinking diet soda for a long time and the only side effect I've noticed was weight loss! Because I'm not drinking 70g of sugar 3 times a day anymore...
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I struggle with starbucks drinks too. I would drink two a day and at 260+ calories plus all the sugar it hurts my goals ( but gives me satisfaction at that moment).

I try and make coffee at home and use a little of sweet Italian creamer - its not the same but it does help give that itch a scratch.
    I drink a lot of water with lemon, cucumber, strawberries.... I don't drink soda at all (just don't like it) but I do love sweet tea and have been trying to make it with less sugar.

Its hard. Its an addiction for me. I crave them.

Hugs
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I noticed drinking more water during the day helped me.