Potassium - I could never reach the 4,700 mg per day required. Do you worry? Low salt user.

Options
I am 50 and never noticed how little potassium I take per day.
I am almost vegetarian.
No fast food.
I cook everything, little to no salt user.
Do you think being low salt person offsets low potassium intake?
1800 seems to be my average.
I read potassium supplements can be dangerous.
And to my surprise my multivitamin contains only 2%.

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i am a non salt user (under 1500 mg a day if i can) and hit my potassium regular

lots in fresh veggies, potatoes, and fruit
    Spices and herbs have potassium too. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at potassium levels from food in the data base, you can forget about tracking potassium.
    The labeling rules in the US do not require Potassium so the entries are going to be off.
  • apmat
    apmat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use nosalt salt substitute which is potassium chloride. It has loads of potassium. Most items in the database don't have potassium listed correctly so you would need to check listings or enter amounts carefully.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Foods high in potassium are bananas, potatoes, kale, spinach, kiwi fruit, apples, salmon, natural yogurt, dried apricots, white beans, squash.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If you are looking at potassium levels from food in the data base, you can forget about tracking potassium.
    The labeling rules in the US do not require Potassium so the entries are going to be off.

Agree.

Most people creating entries in the database don't put in the micronutrients, so don't pay attention to them.

You only need to worry about your potassium (or other micronutrients) if you have a medically diagnosed deficiency.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, as others have said, check your entries.

When I log mostly whole foods (nothing in packages or from restaurants where potassium may not be listed, but from the USDA entries which include it) and eat my usual amounts of vegetables, fruits, and potassium-rich starches such as sweet potatoes and potatoes, I have no problems hitting or exceeding the recommendation. Therefore, I'd think someone who is a vegetarian and eats well shouldn't have much problem. If that's you, it's likely that your entries don't include it--maybe try to change about the entries used so as to reassure yourself? Or if you eat a good diet there's probably nothing to worry about--potassium is in so many foods.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    As was said earlier, a lot of foods don't track potassium. I have tried to get the items that specifically list it (choosing some vendors, leaving them out). However, I do try to get more than 1800. More like 2300-3500.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    As was mentioned, a lot of foods that may contain potassium won't show it on the label, so it won't get counted. But even so, most Americans do not get enough Potassium. And No, being low on salt doesn't relieve you of the potassium burden, lol. That would be nice, though! Like you, I don't eat much sodium and have trouble hitting my potassium.

Don't take supplements unless the doctor tells you to take them. Bring it up next time you're in, which should be at least yearly.

If you want to increase your potassium intake, eat foods that have a lot of it. If you like potatos/sweet potatos, it's a nice excuse to have some. :)
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I take a potassium supplement at my doctor's advice every other day. I have a heart condition and potassium is crucial to proper heart function. Like the previous poster said, ask your doctor. When you have your yearly physical and labs your potassium level is one of the things checked in the blood work.
  • mrs_j_smith
    mrs_j_smith Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am 51 and get regular blood tests and have never had a potassium deficiency (one it was too high) so no, I don't worry about it. Having had to worry about getting too much at one point, I know potassium is in almost everything I eat on a regular basis.

Don't try to use MFP to track your potassium intake. Many entries are incorrect or missing the information altogether.

Also, don't take supplements without talking to a doctor. High potassium in the blood can be deadly.