new to LOOSING weight...what am I doing wrong??

Options
Hey guys, so I am 5'3 and have always been 125 pounds and fit...I have never had to try hard to loose weight and had a super fast metabolism..I started anti depressants a year ago and in 8 months I gained 35 pounds...I Drastically changed my eating habits..switched from juice to water, cut out pasta and potatoes..I eat fruit when I'm craving sweets and it works...I go mountain biking 3 times a week and have oatmeal and fruit everyday either for breakfast or lunch instead of a sugary cereal or sandwich... The thing is..I stopped gaining... It's been three months and I'm stuck at 160..what do I have to do to LOOSE.... Like my metabolism slowed down to a halt...I'm not overweight but want my body back... I'm happy with the pills I'm on in every other aspect and don't want to switch... Should I accept that I stopped gaining and leave it at that? Need help.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If you're an outlier due to size, age, or medical issues, then it may be best to talk to your doctor or someone like a registered dietitian.
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ya, I've heard ALOT about food scales and purchasing one is next on my list..thanks :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    ^^^Great advice above!

It is possible to lose weight even while on medication that normally causes weight gain. I'm on a med where the #1 side effect is weight gain and was seeing the scale creep up month by month. Over a 6 month period I gained about 30 pounds before joining MFP. When I started weighing and logging everything, and started eating at a deficit, the weight began to come off. It has taken 6 months, but I'm down 16 pounds. I'm 5'4" and 165 pounds right now. I want to lose another 20 because I AM still in the overweight category. Opening your diary, being open to constructive criticism, and following the above posters recommendations is the best way to start!
  • domgibson88
    Options
    Thanks :) I've got the gaining under control now need to loose...a food scale is probably a biggy
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Call whoever prescribed the meds and tell them about your weigh gain issue. Ask for help.

It's much easier to end the problem than it is to keep fighting it.

Might make it easier to LOSE weight. I capitalized it because you kept capitalizing it. :)
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're not eating enough protein. Oatmeal is great but it might not be what you need. Try looking at your macros over the last few days and see where you land. Maybe up the fat and protein since you're mountain biking.
  • domgibson88
    Options
    Thanks bmchenry02...right now my protein is low and fats and carbs are high....will look into more protein foods I can eat
  • domgibson88
    Options
    And Kalikel..I don't want to go experimenting with other medication... I feel great!!and that's more important..I know I can loose if I really put my mind to it..great advice so far I've got buy a food scale and up protein on my to do list :)
  • FloralBlossom
    FloralBlossom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    And Kalikel..I don't want to go experimenting with other medication... I feel great!!and that's more important..I know I can loose if I really put my mind to it..great advice so far I've got buy a food scale and up protein on my to do list :)

I was on Seroquel and it made me gain 40+ pounds. I talked to my psych aND she put me on another med onto of my Seroquel for a short period of time that helped me lose weight until I was weaned off the Seroquel (I was on a high dose.) I don't remember what it's called because the Seroquel also made my memory really bad. So this is probably no help but maybe you could bring it up?

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    ^^^Great advice above!

It is possible to lose weight even while on medication that normally causes weight gain. I'm on a med where the #1 side effect is weight gain and was seeing the scale creep up month by month. Over a 6 month period I gained about 30 pounds before joining MFP. When I started weighing and logging everything, and started eating at a deficit, the weight began to come off. It has taken 6 months, but I'm down 16 pounds. I'm 5'4" and 165 pounds right now. I want to lose another 20 because I AM still in the overweight category. Opening your diary, being open to constructive criticism, and following the above posters recommendations is the best way to start!

This. I experienced this as well. You CAN lose weight when on meds that have weight gain as a side effect.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think it is hard to lose weight when on medication but if it's helping, maybe it is easy to accept the extra weight as long as you're not gaining.
    I find that if I eat back my exercise calories, then weight doesn't come off.
    Look at ways to cut your carbs/sugars and raise your fibre and you good quality fats. When you log for a day, go to reports. Check out what percentage of your intake came from unsaturated fat versus the good fats monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. This, I have found is one of the key ways to jumpstart weight loss. If you eat 50 grams of fat a day, then only about ten should be from saturated fats.
  • apmat
    apmat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing you need to cut calories. More accurate logging and weighing may help wirh accuracy but if you consistantly under estimate your consumption than setting a lower goal may work just as well as being more accurate in your calculations. I would slowly lower your target calories by 75 or 100 daily calories every week until you start losing.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was on citalopram (celexa) for 3 years. Went to the doctor about a month ago and she informed me that I'd gained almost 30lbs since being on it. Could be the pills that are making it harder to lose weight....
  • cscoparino
    cscoparino Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lose