Sugar

Options
Having set my nutritional ratios to 125g carbs, 22g fat, 75g protein the sugar bar automatically sets at 45.5g surely this is too high? Whilst in the main I have stayed below this I still get confused as to what I should be looking at in daily intake ratios? I am not loosing weight, still struggle with the fat ratio which I am always nearly over daily. I do eat my calories back because I set the bar at 1000cals per day purely because I am sedentary, if you look at my reports rarely am I over 1500 cals a day. I am 65 but just gaining weight even though I eat so healthily. Can it be a medical problem?

Replies

• RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Dont worry to much about sugar, if anything you are eating way to less calories. I refuse to believe you need anything less than 1500-1600 cals (this already includes a 400-500 deficit) given the fact that you are trying to lose 56lbs. We can't tell you if its medical, but i would go to the doctor and ask for a medical exam, its the only way to know for sure.
  • themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would consider using a scale if you arent already using one. As long as you're getting more calories out than youre putting in all should be well in terms of loss. How long have you been on this plan? It may take a while for the scale to move
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Having set my nutritional ratios to 125g carbs, 22g fat, 75g protein the sugar bar automatically sets at 45.5g surely this is too high? Whilst in the main I have stayed below this I still get confused as to what I should be looking at in daily intake ratios? I am not loosing weight, still struggle with the fat ratio which I am always nearly over daily. I do eat my calories back because I set the bar at 1000cals per day purely because I am sedentary, if you look at my reports rarely am I over 1500 cals a day. I am 65 but just gaining weight even though I eat so healthily. Can it be a medical problem?

The sugar is a % of calories, unless you dial in a different number. 45g goes with 1200 calories. If you're setting your own goals just dial in a different number - 45 grams of total sugars might be a bit high in the context of 125g of total carbs but in itself isn't a specific problem, after all you are staying under it.

22g of fat is I think too low, I've seen 30g suggested as a minimum to keep your bile system happy and that's only 270 cals or 27% of your 1000. 35% of calories as fat would not be seen as "high".

You can do better than Richmond's sausages - try one of the higher % meat versions with less carby filler.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Read this: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    How long have you been at this? How are you determining what you eat? Unless you use a food scale and weigh everything, and make sure you're using correct database entries, chances are you're eating more than you think. 'Eating healthily' has no impact on weight loss—it's purely a question of eating less than you burn. There's really no need to track sugar, especially since MFP doesn't differentiate between added and natural sugars. Also, how do you determine your exercise burns and do you eat back all of the calories?
    That being said, 22g of fat per day seems extremely low. Your body needs fat for various hormonal processes and to be able to use fat-soluble vitamins. A number I see mentioned a lot is to get at least 0.35g of fat per pound of bodyweight. I've also read years ago that 30g a day seems to be the absolute minimum with 60–80g cited as a good amount to get on average.