Best Thing to Eat Before my Race Tomorrow?

Options
MysticRealm
MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm doing a 5km Obstacle course race tomorrow (I run at 1:45pm). Obviously it's nothing long so it's probably not that important what I eat compared to a half marathon or longer run. I run 5k+ multiple times a week and doing weight lifting so it shouldn't be too taxing however I have never run an actual organized race before and would like to do my best and feel fuelled for it.
I probably will only eat once before it, just before I leave for the race around 11:30-11:45. What would be the best type of food to eat? Thank you.

Replies

• rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The night before my 10K I ate some white rice for dinner with a little bit of chicken and vegetables. Don't eat too much fiber or you might have some GI issues during the race. Carbs with a little protein and not too much fat work for me. Try some boiled or baked potatoes or have rice or pasta. Like you said, though, for a 5k it's not really going to make a big difference what you eat, so just try to eat something that you're used to and that you know won't give you any kind of stomach trouble. Good luck!
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Thanks.I think I have decided on an omelette as I have been craving one for a while haha. My tummy is already a bit upset from a little over eating the last couple day so we'll see how that goes haha.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    for a 5K I wouldn't really worry about it...there's no need to carb load or anything like that. it's a pretty short distance. just do what you would normally do.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you've been eating while training and normal workouts. If you deviate from your usual it can upset your system and no one wants that on race day :) good luck!
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Thanks guys. I had a great race. I finished the 5k obstacle course in 45 mins. I completed all the obstacles, and most of them much quicker than other people. I also ran/jogged the entire way with no walking, I passed a lot of people! Including those who started their run in the wave before me! My first ever organized run was a success! And it gives me some idea of what to expect in my Tough Mudder in September!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    My coach tells us to be done eating 3 hrs before race time, but this is for triathlon, about 16 miles total. I did mini bagel with peanut butter and my usual coffee. I like a banana with a little peanut butter before training runs.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I had a great race. I finished the 5k obstacle course in 45 mins. I completed all the obstacles, and most of them much quicker than other people. I also ran/jogged the entire way with no walking, I passed a lot of people! Including those who started their run in the wave before me! My first ever organized run was a success! And it gives me some idea of what to expect in my Tough Mudder in September!

That is awesome!

Gotta be feeling good for all the training and effort you put in.

• tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    acd9d09a20fc616af451266e9f63503e.jpg
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    People are not taking in consideration you are running a obstacle run, its not a normal run. Eat some carbs and proteines, dont overdo it as its not a very long course. But carbs and proteines make up for a good source for interval excersises like this.

Update: Oh you are done already :lol:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    5k I wouldn't change a thing of what you usually eat before you run.