Nutrition Facts...PLEASE No Rounding

Options
Every time I search for a food and find it... the Nutrition Facts are not the same as on the container I am looking at. So I add my own ...Most of the time what the difference is, is that they rounded up the grams...Example if the Total fat was 4.5 they will make it 5...
Every little bit counts ... Please Stop Rounding The Facts

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've found that quite annoying. MFP needs to do an overhaul of their database. Just do the best you can!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    You might want to post that in the Suggestions area. If you go to the "edit" section of foods with rounded gram amounts, you'll usually see that the amount was input correctly but MFP shows it rounded to the whole gram.

I, too, would like for the food diary to show the unrounded amounts.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Butorfleye wrote: »
    Every time I search for a food and find it... the Nutrition Facts are not the same as on the container I am looking at. So I add my own ...Most of the time what the difference is, is that they rounded up the grams...Example if the Total fat was 4.5 they will make it 5...

You are responsible for your own logging. If you don't like the way someone else put it into the database, don't use it and put all your own recipes in.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I add most of my foods myself, especially fruit and veg as I like to track iron, potassium and vitamins too.
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Whenever I try to add a new food to the database, some of the data I try to input doesn't allow for commas. For example, I try to input the fiber at (ex) 0.8 and the thing writes 8 (not even 1, it just won't recognize the comma), so it forces me to round up. It's something MFP should correct ASAP because, let's be real, most of us can't be bothered to go to find a computer in order to add a food to the database.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Whenever I try to add a new food to the database, some of the data I try to input doesn't allow for commas. For example, I try to input the fiber at (ex) 0.8 and the thing writes 8 (not even 1, it just won't recognize the comma), so it forces me to round up. It's something MFP should correct ASAP because, let's be real, most of us can't be bothered to go to find a computer in order to add a food to the database.

MFPs data base is based on user entries, and I hardly believe the people running it have time to go through thousands of entires, nor should they have to. If you don't have the time to enter your own dietary intake or pick correct entires, then you can't blame MFP or anyone else here who has taken the time for lack of success.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    You might want to post that in the Suggestions area. If you go to the "edit" section of foods with rounded gram amounts, you'll usually see that the amount was input correctly but MFP shows it rounded to the whole gram.

I, too, would like for the food diary to show the unrounded amounts.

This, it's MFP that does the rounding. Do you ever actually go into the entry to correct it there?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You do realize that food labels can be up to 20% in error from actual calories, so worrying about half a gram of this or a fraction of that, probably does not matter at all comparatively.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    How do you go in to change an entry on the iPhone app? I have looked and can't find anything that will let me do this. Do y'all carry your laptops into the kitchen to log or how do you handle this?
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's a bug.
    You can work around it by first typing the 8 then put your cursor before the 8 and type the comma. This time it will stick.
    image_1.jpg
  • Butorfleye
    Butorfleye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

You are responsible for your own logging. If you don't like the way someone else put it into the database, don't use it and put all your own recipes in.

• Butorfleye
    Butorfleye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do add my own and all that does is make another almost duplicate...
    This makes it harder for anyone searching for a food to know which one is the right one
    Make peoples life's easier...easy is the Key...if its easy its easier to stick to
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    This makes it harder for anyone searching for a food to know which one is the right one
    Make peoples life's easier...easy is the Key...if its easy its easier to stick to

If it were easy, no one would be over weight and everyone would be healthy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

MFP rounds up...
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I assume you mean MFP is rounding. Here is a little stinker fact for you - the FDA rounds too.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064932.htm

So you can actually get a smidgen of a transfat in food even though it says 0 on the label. The only way to know is to read the ingredients. Ever wonder what the difference between cake, AP, and Bread flour's are? Protein. But because of rounding, you wouldn't know it by reading the labels. The best you can do is educate yourself on the products you eat as best you can, cook from scratch as much as you can, and learn to live with a little variance in precision.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

MFP rounds up...

Read the whole thread.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

What? OP is complaining that if an entry has 2.5 grams of fat, MFP says it has 3. It would indeed be easier for someone who was concerned with accuracy to be able to tell at a glance if they had the correct entry, or if creating a new entry is necessary. Not sure why you're personally offended by her perceived laziness, but you do you.

In any event, I'm glad Steve_Apex posted that link. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff, OP. You can drive yourself crazy doing it.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

What? OP is complaining that if an entry has 2.5 grams of fat, MFP says it has 3. It would indeed be easier for someone who was concerned with accuracy to be able to tell at a glance if they had the correct entry, or if creating a new entry is necessary. Not sure why you're personally offended by her perceived laziness, but you do you.

In any event, I'm glad Steve_Apex posted that link. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff, OP. You can drive yourself crazy doing it.

There is a very small rounding factor that takes place between the data base and the mobile app because that's just how the program works. I'm not a programmer and I can't fix it, so I manually enter and just know there might be an insignificant difference between the two. MFP states that it is less than a calorie difference if you're seeing rounding.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Me likey +1 focus on the bigger picture its deficit not macros that will make the bigger difference for weight loss.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nothing we're measuring is accurate to within half a gram's worth of calories, anyway.

It really, really doesn't matter.