Managing calorie consumption when overtired

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I've had a couple of really rough nights. 3h of sleep last night, 4h tonight. It makes it a lot harder to not eat everything. My self control is sleeping, I guess.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to resist over eating when you're exhausted and worn out? This happens to me periodically and I'd like to have something in my arsenal for the future.

Replies

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A little bit of tough love here - Remind yourself of why you are even concerned. Wake up your self control. Remember you can eat more once you've met your goal - the sooner the better. Good luck.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you sleeping?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I've had a couple of really rough nights. 3h of sleep last night, 4h tonight. It makes it a lot harder to not eat everything. My self control is sleeping, I guess.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to resist over eating when you're exhausted and worn out? This happens to me periodically and I'd like to have something in my arsenal for the future.

Worry about your weight when you're tired, not how to eat the entire fridge that won't make you feel any better.

Stop ignoring the voice that tells you to stop scoffing yourself.

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If you're not sleeping you need your energy from somewhere and that'll be what's telling you to eat. As long as you don't go over maintenance you'll still be slowly losing but your real priority is getting some sleep right now, not losing weight if you want to feel better.
  • clockworkgeisha
    clockworkgeisha Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So, I've cobbled together some pop science which goes like this: Cortisol is produced by stress. Sleeping lowers your cortisol levels, so if you don't get enough sleep, your cortisol levels are quite high. Cortisol is a hormone that effectively lowers your blood sugar levels (it's more complicated than that, but that's the net effect), causing you to lose control of your appetite.

So, perhaps having a little something within your calories to bring your blood sugar levels back up (some fruit?) would stop you eating All The Things?
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I struggle with eating the wrong things in the wrong amounts as well when tired.

The things that help me are always the same:

Eat high quality food, usually relatively high in protein and with fibrous veggies. I avoid all simple sugars OTHER than around workout times when I want to push my insulin up and go anabolic and feed.

If you want a great breakfast, opt for a serving of oatmeal in a shake with natural peanut butter and whey protein all blended. If you really want some sweetness, add a half a banana if you need the energy.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I'm tired or stressed I tend to want to eat the entire Mcdonalds menu because the idea of figuring out what to feed myself, or put more effort than saying a value number is just over whelming.
    I started preportioning snacks in the house when I'm in a good mood, so when I'm in a bad mood I don't have to worry about measuring something out. I also have a few meals ready to go in the freezer for lunch/dinner.
  • Joolscrowley
    Joolscrowley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have things in the house ready made that you'd like to eat, but are high protein and bulky with vegetables - then make sure you eat that and not junk.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make sleep an absolute priority so that everything is easier.
    Perhaps cook some low cal veggie soup to keep in the freezer for the days in which you are sleep deprived. It helps somewhat if the foods you like are easily available.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,010 Member
    Options
    Ya, have food available that's easy. I too am more prone to eat poorly when I don't sleep well.

I've recently turned my place into Dracula's Lair with these blackout curtains, which work better than blackout shades and are cheaper. They do have insulating benefits. Not so sure how effective they are with noise:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eclipse-Samara-Blackout-Energy-Efficient-Curtain-Panel/43601769

Experience the silence, darkness and beauty of one-of-a-kind Eclipse window treatments, a line of energy-saving, noise-reducing blackout curtains and valances where function meets style. Eclipse thermal curtains are designed to block out over 99 percent of light and reduce unwanted noise so you can get a better night's sleep. The magic is in the Thermaback construction. The innovative double-pass foam-back construction keeps the noise and the draft out, letting you enjoy all the light-blocking, noise-reducing and energy-saving benefits you want without compromising the style you crave. These classic foam-backed thermal curtains provide the ultimate in blackout performance, while helping you save money on heating and cooling your home. Hang them in your living room for better TV viewing or in the nursery or kids' room to keep out unwanted light and noise. Use two window panels on a standard or decorative rod for optimal coverage.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why aren't you sleeping?

I was at a family friend's cottage and the room was unfamiliar, also there was a sound that sounded like knocking on my window all night. I'm prone to short bouts of insomnia though, so that's why I want to be prepared. I do my best to get enough sleep, but sometimes I just don't and I have to deal with it.
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    I struggle with eating the wrong things in the wrong amounts as well when tired.

The things that help me are always the same:

Eat high quality food, usually relatively high in protein and with fibrous veggies. I avoid all simple sugars OTHER than around workout times when I want to push my insulin up and go anabolic and feed.

If you want a great breakfast, opt for a serving of oatmeal in a shake with natural peanut butter and whey protein all blended. If you really want some sweetness, add a half a banana if you need the energy.

Thanks for sharing! I tend to be a bit low in protein anyway, so that makes a lot of sense. I'm so glad to be home now where I can make some oatmeal if I want to :)
    Dariasen wrote: »
    When I'm tired or stressed I tend to want to eat the entire Mcdonalds menu because the idea of figuring out what to feed myself, or put more effort than saying a value number is just over whelming.
    I started preportioning snacks in the house when I'm in a good mood, so when I'm in a bad mood I don't have to worry about measuring something out. I also have a few meals ready to go in the freezer for lunch/dinner.

That is a wonderful idea. I should really get on that, so that when these days happen I can just have things ready.
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Make sleep an absolute priority so that everything is easier.
    Perhaps cook some low cal veggie soup to keep in the freezer for the days in which you are sleep deprived. It helps somewhat if the foods you like are easily available.

That sounds really good, I love vegetable soup. Sleep is always a big priority, but anxiety sometimes overrides it anyway, so it's good to have a plan.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ya, have food available that's easy. I too am more prone to eat poorly when I don't sleep well.

I've recently turned my place into Dracula's Lair with these blackout curtains, which work better than blackout shades and are cheaper. They do have insulating benefits. Not so sure how effective they are with noise:

I've always wanted blackout curtains, but my room doesn't have space for a curtain rod, unfortunately. It would be perfect though, thanks!