Should I change my activity level?

Options
i recently got a new job at a jewelry store so I'm not at a desk all day. I'm constantly walking around the store and I do walk around my college campus so I am slightly active and not sitting all day. is this enough to change to lightly active or should I keep myself at sedentary? I am nervous if I change it I will be over eating and quit losing weight.

Replies

• fitnesspal1256
    fitnesspal1256 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I always keep myself at sedentary no matter what my activity level :P I feel like it cant hurt. Also i would recommend getting a fitbit! You can link it to myfitnesspal and it will adjust your calories based on how much you walk each day!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Increase your activity level, give it two weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

Retail is not sedentary.
  • fulltimelife
    fulltimelife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How do you feel with the amount of calories that MFP gives you at "sedentary" versus "lightly active"? Are you consistently 'lightly active' without trying?
    I keep myself at Sedentary. Down side is that my daily allotment is lower, but upside is that I'm not as worried about my overall daily activity. I absolutely want to exercise every day, or at least be pretty active, but I have days where I just don't. Some days I am active naturally, some days I am super active because I made a point to be, and other days I am pretty much a sloth. I go to both extremes, and I like having a lower calorie plan to plan for.

I have a Fitbit, and that absolutely helps me keep track of my steps, and has often motivated me to move more than I normally would have.
  • brooketb617
    brooketb617 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How do you feel with the amount of calories that MFP gives you at "sedentary" versus "lightly active"? Are you consistently 'lightly active' without trying?
    I keep myself at Sedentary. Down side is that my daily allotment is lower, but upside is that I'm not as worried about my overall daily activity. I absolutely want to exercise every day, or at least be pretty active, but I have days where I just don't. Some days I am active naturally, some days I am super active because I made a point to be, and other days I am pretty much a sloth. I go to both extremes, and I like having a lower calorie plan to plan for.

I have a Fitbit, and that absolutely helps me keep track of my steps, and has often motivated me to move more than I normally would have.

I feel pretty good at my 1300 calories a day because I am only 5'2. I don't really track calories a whole lot I more so track macros. I agree with you though it's less worrisome keeping it at sedentary so I think I'll do that! thanks!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Those things are so hard to determine. It's so hard to pick. I always mark myself as sedentary and record exercise.

But you could try lightly Active and see how it goes! You can always switch back. :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.

Retail is not sedentary. Increase your activity level, give it two weeks, then reevaluate your progress. If you're still losing, rinse and repeat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Either increase to lightly active or invest in a basic fitbit or similar (not the HRM version) then you can get a more accurate estimate

If you get more calories and continue to meet your weight goals that's a clear win in my book
  • themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When i worked retail & was at uni i was set at lightly active. This also meant i made a point of walking a couple miles if i knew i didnt have class or wasnt working. Just a walk around the neighborhood or walking to a few stores, etc. I lost weight pretty consistently. (That was from a different mfp account--ive restarted so none of that loss is logged on my current account but i swear it happened lol)