Jawbone up 3 or fitbit charge hr

Options
I am going to purchase one of these later but not sure which to go for I currently have a original jawbone up I like the sleep tracking and the app but having look at reviews the fitbit seems to be better as it can track my active heart rate I also like that the fitbit has a display but I have herd the sleep tracking is either non existent on the hr or not very good plus I'm worried if I will like the app can anyone help me make my decision? Thanks

Replies

• ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was just contemplating this. I have had a Fitbit Flex for two years, but it's finally starting to go kaput -- it's not holding a great charge and I'm suspect about its continued accuracy because of that. The Charge is tempting, but TBH I have found the Flex perfectly convenient (I don't usually end up using bells and whistles features on these devices, only the core function). As for Jawbone, I don't have any firsthand experience, so I will be interested to see what the folks here have to say.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    And can current fitbit users tell me can fitbit be paired with myfitness pal? Like the jawbone can?
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes, Fitbit devices pair w/ MFP.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, Fitbits sync with MFP. Unlike UP, they can even sync with a computer via a dongle—rather than just a compatible smart phone or tablet. And Fitbit has a web-based dashboard where you can see all your stats, not just the app.

Last I heard, the heart rate sensors in the Jawbone UP3 didn't work continuously, and Jawbone kept promising a firmware update "soon." Here's an earlier thread about it:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32992539#Comment_32992539
    I'm worried if I will like the app can anyone help me make my decision?

Buy a Fitbit at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I had been waiting forever for the Up3 as it was supposed to be water proof and I like the design so much more than any of the FitBits. But when it was finally released it was not water proof and it got really bad reviews. Got the Charge HR instead and very happy with it, still don't like the design though ;)
  • SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also had a Fitbit Flex for almost two years. Really liked it until I went on vacation and now I have zero clue where it is. So, I bought a Surge and have been wearing it only a few hours. I like it so far. I trust the FitBit brand, which is why I didn't switch. I found my steps on the Flex to be completely accurate, so I imagine the Surge will do just as well (if not better). I used to watch the count increase as I walked to make sure. At the end of the day, it's a personal decision. One thing I would consider is if any of your friends have these fitness tracking devices. I have a few friends with Fitbits, but I have even more friends with Jawbones, this may have influenced my decision were I more motivated by social interaction
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    One thing I would consider is if any of your friends have these fitness tracking devices. I have a few friends with Fitbits, but I have even more friends with Jawbones, this may have influenced my decision were I more motivated by social interaction

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

And a Jawbone UP Bracelet group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/13420-jawbone-up-bracelet

Fitbit challenges and UP duels are great motivation—and fun.
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Oh and I used both the Up and the FitBit app on my iPhone for a long time before I had the actual hardware to go with it.
    I liked the coach on the Up app but hated the judging of my food choices, just because grapes have sugar doesn't make them bad, right?
    After some time I really preferred the FitBit app, also the fact that there is more information to be found on the connected webpage was a plus for me.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was just contemplating the same thing and after some more research went with the Fitbit Charge HR. Jawbone 3 has tons of cool sensors from buying out body media (I loved my body media as far as accuracy of calories burned for non-step activities) but they seem to be just promising to use them in the future. I figured with HRM is more accurate for now and if the future comes and Jawbone updates they'll still be available. Other deciding factors for me included not needing to use an app only (I have an older android phone), the display screen, and my Dad owns a different fitbit and showed me his app and I liked the look of the app.
  • Falling_star
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks I am leaning towards the fitbit now but will have to compare the size on my arm in the shop as it looks quite big and I have small wrists think I will have to consider tht when making my choice off to the shop now so shall see which I come back with I am also looking at getting the body fat scales if I go for the fitbit
  • editorgrrl
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am also looking at getting the body fat scales if I go for the fitbit

I have the Fitbit Aria wifi scale. The body fat % is completely useless—it sends a pulse up one leg & down the other, then guesstimates your upper body.

But I love never having to log my weight. I weigh daily, and it syncs with Fitbit, MFP & Trendweight. Also, Aria comes in black.
  • Falling_star
    Options
    OK so went for the fitbit in the end just trying to figure out how the app works. Does not seem to be tht accurate it tells me I have claimed 6 floors well I have only gone up and down the stairs once
    Also I cannot get any heart rate measurements on my app can any one help?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    It tells me I have claimed 6 floors well I have only gone up and down the stairs once

Also I cannot get any heart rate measurements on my app.

Stairs do not affect your burn in any way. It's just a motivating metric. It's based on changes in air pressure, so you can get lots of "flights" walking outdoors on a windy day.

You'll only see a heart rate if you have a Charge HR or Surge and you've enabled heart rate tracking in your Fitbit settings. Use "auto" rather than "on" to conserve the battery: https://www.fitbit.com/settings/device/tracker/
  • Falling_star
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks how do I get on to the fitbit settings?I have the charge hr
  • editorgrrl
    Options
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You should check out the Garmin devices too. I started with the jawbone UP24, and tried the Fitbit but returned it because the heart rate monitor was not accurate. I got the Garmin Vivoactive with the chest strap heart rate monitor, and it is very accurate. It also has GPS, is fully water proof, and the battery charge can last up to 3 weeks (depending on how often you use the GPS/HRM).
  • JunoBeachVan
    JunoBeachVan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I have the Fitbit Aria wifi scale. The body fat % is completely useless—it sends a pulse up one leg & down the other, then guesstimates your upper body.

But I love never having to log my weight. I weigh daily, and it syncs with Fitbit, MFP & Trendweight. Also, Aria comes in black.

Same for me, love my Fitbit Charge HR, and love my Fitbit Aria scale (in BLACK!) Not having to log it every day is a nice thing!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR and love it. I find the sleep tracking feature to be really accurate. Love all the other features as well, knowing that the HRMs are only guesstimates. It's still working for me. The only problem I've encountered with the device is the life of the battery charge. I've had one replaced already because it wouldn't hold a charge, and now the replacement seems to be doing the same thing. I do wear it constantly (except for swimming and showering) but the battery is supposed to last up to 5 days and I'm not seeing that. Customer service is excellent for the Fitbits so that helps.
  • tamiandtoto
    tamiandtoto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had the Jawbone Up3 (after waiting months for it)--it was a piece of junk! It wouldn't sync to any device. I now have the Fitbit Charge HR and absolutely love it!!
  • Falling_star
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Pleased I went with the fitbit hr :) How do I sync to myfitness pal? Also on the app my heart rate is not displayed still checked the settings and it's on auto
    Pleased I went with the fitbit hr :) How do I sync to myfitness pal?
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    It tells me I have claimed 6 floors well I have only gone up and down the stairs once

Also I cannot get any heart rate measurements on my app.

Stairs do not affect your burn in any way. It's just a motivating metric. It's based on changes in air pressure, so you can get lots of "flights" walking outdoors on a windy day.

You'll only see a heart rate if you have a Charge HR or Surge and you've enabled heart rate tracking in your Fitbit settings. Use "auto" rather than "on" to conserve the battery: https://www.fitbit.com/settings/device/tracker/