How quick to see changes in body recomp?

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
edited July 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi all! So I guess I'm doing a body recomp type thing right now. I'm eating at a very small deficit because I'm training for my first marathon and I want to make sure not to undereat. It's exhausting even with how much I'm eating now! Over the past couple of months I've basically maintained my weight, I would lose a couple of pounds and then gain it back. I'm honestly okay with that; I don't care about the number on the scale, I care about how I look and getting that mileage down like a pro :D

My current training schedule is running four days a week, one of those being a long run (10-20 miles), and strength training two days a week. One upper body day, one lower body, lifting as heavy as I can.

I'm starting to see positive changes in my body! I'm developing some real guns and for the first time in my life, I see ab definition (even when I was 20 pounds lighter than I am right now, I didn't have that)!

My questions is how long it will take to see real results; I know body recomp is a slow process. I'm going to be a bridesmaid at my friend's wedding in two months, and I just don't love the way I look in the dress right now. It's strapless and floor-length, so the only thing it shows is my upper chest, back, and arms. My back looks pretty good if I do say so myself, but my arms still look flabby, and I have that annoying underarm fat thing happening.

For those who have done some sort of body recomp, is a couple of months enough time to see any significant changes? I know a typical recomp program involves more strength training, but I have to focus on running right now for the marathon. I'm hoping those two days at the gym, plus all the work my legs are doing on a regular basis, is enough. How long will it take for me to see more fat loss and muscle definition in the mirror?

Stats:
5'4"
135-140 lbs
Netting 1630 cals/day
I ensure accuracy by using a food scale and use fitbit to track my TDEE.

Here are a couple of recent pics for reference of what I look like now:

lb194xzn0oiw.jpg

jp952g3jr7hv.jpg

lmlo4msf8dlz.jpg

zeocj9m6pljz.jpg

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    Options
    Sorry the pictures came out huge :P Trying to resize them...
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    OK, I know so many people see themselves differently than the world sees them, but I do not see bat wings on your arms AT ALL. You wanna see bat wings, I'll show you bat wings (!!).

To answer your questions, though, I think you should stay on track with what you're doing, given that you've prioritized your running. If you wanted to prioritize that wedding dress and your arms, I'd almost recommend more lifting at a re-comp.

I would also re-evaluate whether or not the 1630 cals/day is enough. I know you said you "net" that, but it seems like that might not be enough given what you do for your exercise regime.

Maybe look at your weekly food totals (eat a bit above maintenance on lift and long-run days, at a deficit on the other days), or do a short bulk/cut cycle (a few weeks above caloric maintenance to "bulk" and lift heavier, then cut for the remaining few weeks) but that may impact your running program in the short term.

Overall, listen to your body. If you're consistently hungry, you're simply not feeding yourself enough.

And really, disregard your concerns about your arms....again, I understand the personal perspective and how people see themselves, but I'd bet about 90% of the female population would give their eye teeth for those arms.

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    +1 that you already look great. 2 months is not a lot of time but I think you would benefit from at least doing 2 full body days instead of one upper one lower. You won't really gain muscle hitting your upper only once a week at deficit. Make sure to go heavy with compound moves (barbell row, bench press, pull-up, etc.
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    +1 that you already look great. 2 months is not a lot of time but I think you would benefit from at least doing 2 full body days instead of one upper one lower. You won't really gain muscle hitting your upper only once a week at deficit. Make sure to go heavy with compound moves (barbell row, bench press, pull-up, etc.

Completely agree! Add military press and push ups to above and you are there!

I would make sure you get enough protein though with that much running. Assuming you are doing that.

Also good for me to see your pics. We are about the same height and weight (I'm actually 141!) but I am waaayy older than you. :) I am critical of myself even though people comment on my arms and abs and how great they look. We can be our own worst enemies and this is a reminder for me to be kinder to myself.

• LaurenAOK
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies! I appreciate the compliments, and I know you're all right that we're our own worst critics. I know my arms don't look that bad, but they're just an area of insecurity for me - and the way this specific dress is cut isn't the most flattering for them. I think because I have gained some muscle, but haven't gotten my body fat percentage down that low yet, my arms just look big to me right now. I appreciate the outside perspective and kind words!

I was actually wondering whether it would be better to do two full-body workouts instead of a split, so thanks for that suggestion! I will probably give that a shot. I would love to be lifting more but again, have to focus on running right now. After the marathon in November I'm definitely going to focus a lot more on strength training. I'm sick of cardio!

Just hope I can see some progress over the next couple of months. As to the suggestion to possibly eat more, I have been pretty much maintaining my weight with my current calories, so I'd be nervous to increase calories and see a gain. If I suddenly start losing I will probably increase them, though. I would love to eat a little more :D
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to see positive changes in my body! I'm developing some real guns and for the first time in my life, I see ab definition (even when I was 20 pounds lighter than I am right now, I didn't have that)!

You just said yourself you are already seeing results

Anyway, 1630 calories net seems quite low for maintenance...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to comment much in this section, but something is definitely off with your calorie intake. I'm a lot older than you, and am losing a pound a half to two pounds a week on 1400 calories. I'm also really short. I weigh a bit more than you, and while that effects my TDEE, it's not by that much.

1630 net with your activity level seems really low. Did you reverse diet up to maintenance?

You are lovely, and I would love to have your arms!
  • Camomilejane
    Camomilejane Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think you look fantastic!
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Change your lifting regimen to three days a week. I think you'll be more satisfied with the results.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    FTFY

How quick many years to see changes in body recomp?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    In 2 months? You might see a little more definition. But if you took another picture in 2 months with the same clothing on now and the same poses, more than likely no one would be able to tell the the time gap between either because the change would be pretty minute.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Body recomposition done by eating at (or close to) maintenance is extremely slow. In my opinion, it's FAR more efficient to do cycles of fat loss and muscle gain. With a 2 month time frame, a fat loss phase will be the most noticeable as even a novice female lifter can only hope to gain about 1 lb of muscle in 2 months. That is under optimal training conditions and eating in a surplus to boot. While strength training and marathon running are somewhat competing goals, I think it would help your cause to do at least 2 full body workouts a week, rather than just 1 upper and 1 lower. 3 full body workouts a week would be better but that might be pushing it if you are also marathon training. If you don't mind things taking a very, very long time, a near maintenance recomp is okay. Again, alternating cycles is going to be far more efficient in the long run. I understand the issue of not wanting to be in too much of a deficit as it will likely effect your marathon training so again, somewhat competing goals. Ultimately I'd decide if quicker results is more important to you than being able to do multiple competing activities. It would be great if we could all lift, run, gain muscle, and lose fat efficiently at the same time, but unfortunately we cannot. Ultimately you must decide between maximizing one goal over the others for quicker results, or being able to accomplish all your goals but at a much slower speed. That we cannot help you with because only you know what is truly important and fulfilling to your own life.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Body recomposition done by eating at (or close to) maintenance is extremely slow. In my opinion, it's FAR more efficient to do cycles of fat loss and muscle gain. With a 2 month time frame, a fat loss phase will be the most noticeable as even a novice female lifter can only hope to gain about 1 lb of muscle in 2 months. That is under optimal training conditions and eating in a surplus to boot. While strength training and marathon running are somewhat competing goals, I think it would help your cause to do at least 2 full body workouts a week, rather than just 1 upper and 1 lower. 3 full body workouts a week would be better but that might be pushing it if you are also marathon training. If you don't mind things taking a very, very long time, a near maintenance recomp is okay. Again, alternating cycles is going to be far more efficient in the long run. I understand the issue of not wanting to be in too much of a deficit as it will likely effect your marathon training so again, somewhat competing goals. Ultimately I'd decide if quicker results is more important to you than being able to do multiple competing activities. It would be great if we could all lift, run, gain muscle, and lose fat efficiently at the same time, but unfortunately we cannot. Ultimately you must decide between maximizing one goal over the others for quicker results, or being able to accomplish all your goals but at a much slower speed. That we cannot help you with because only you know what is truly important and fulfilling to your own life.

Cycle of fat loss? Meaning eat at a deficit for a while then gradually go back to muscle building? I ask because I'm in the same boat with her on recomp. I'm 5'8" 128-130 and following Jamie Eason's LiveFit program.

I agree you should do full body exercises rather than split them up. I've been on a recomp now for 3 weeks and I don't see a difference yet but I feel stronger. Your arms are skinny and I'm sure like me you're ready to see a definition of those muscles you're working!

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Recomp isn't always as painfully slow as people say. I think its more individualized.
    A couple points- 1 yes to doing 2 full body days. 2, all that running & lifting on less than 1700 cals a day? That seems low. 3 your situation is set because of the marathon, but once that is done if you went to 3x week strength training, you'd likely see quicker results.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You look damn good, girl - you are what many people have as their body goals, particularly those like me who are trying to gain weight and looking for people of healthy weights to aspire to who prove how beautiful healthy bodies are! If you do want to recomp that's your choice, just remember to keep loving your existing body along the way as it's gorgeous!
  • manukahoneybadger
    manukahoneybadger Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Look good for a day... or achieve something that you'll be proud of forever? :) though as everyone says- you do look amazing now.

That said I get your internal struggle. I imagine in your shoes I would be tempted to continue with the marathon in mind for a month more, then have a month of cutting (for the dress), and then you still have 2 months again to focus on the running :)

I don't know if others would agree with this, it's just what I would probably do :) But then I've never trained for a marathon... entered into london's ballot for next year though :O sweet bejesus

Hope you do find the perfect balance to be your best for both X
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Thanks again for all the feedback! Yeah, I really do have to focus on the running right now, unfortunately. Otherwise I would definitely be lifting 3-4 days a week. I was originally running 3 days and lifting 3 days, but as my training gets more intense 3 days is just not enough running. So now I run 4 and lift 2. I'm really really nervous about being ready for the race - I paid big money to participate, so I know I'll be disappointed in myself if I haven't trained properly!

I also, again, appreciate the compliments. I am fairly happy with my body and I'm not trying to say I look fat or anything. But I do feel that my arms in particular are an area that could use a bit more work. I included that last pic so you can see that they look kind of soft when I'm not flexing. But, they probably look worse to me than anyone else, I realize! It's hard not to be self-critical.

I totally agree that maintaining on 1630 is weird with my stats. In fact, I'm baffled by it. But honestly, I have been using MFP religiously for the past 3 months... like, I've used MFP in the past and never weighed my food or anything, just used measuring cups and estimation, and lost weight with it. Now I weigh everything with a food scale, if I go out to eat I try to go somewhere that lists nutritional information, and if I really do have to guess I estimate high. Yet I'm not losing weight even though by all the numbers I definitely should be.

I'm pretty much in a constant loss-gain-loss-gain-loss-gain that's evening out to maintenance within about 5 pounds or so. For example, last week I weighed in and had lost 2.5 pounds from the previous week, yet today I weighed in and gained .5 pounds of that back. That's basically what's been happening, again and again, for the past three months.

I fully believe in CICO, but I'm starting to wonder if there are any outside factors that could be having an effect on my weight? I've read that stress and lack of sleep can impede weight loss, and those are both HUGE problems for me. As a law student I'm constantly stressed, and I suffer from insomnia - these days it's rare for me to get more than a few hours a night. But, I honestly have no idea if that has anything to do with it. I feel like even with those factors, CICO should rule all.

Again, I'm honestly not too bothered by the lack of weight loss, as long as my body is physically changing. I appreciate the honesty that the changes may be very slow. I'm trying to be patient, haha! We'll see what happens over the next couple of months.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    <<But I do feel that my arms in particular are an area that could use a bit more work. I included that last pic so you can see that they look kind of soft when I'm not flexing.>>

I don't have any brilliant ideas for you, but I wanted to say that EVERYBODY'S arms look soft when they're not flexing.
  • mitchelsimps
    mitchelsimps Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think you look great I don't see a problem here
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I think you look great too, but just in case, please post more photos.