Chia seeds

Options
Skrib69
Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
Chia seeds are held up as a 'cure all' food on the internet claiming to cure all sorts of things and boost the production of hormones such as testosterone. What I find on the internet is usually from a company trying to sell me a bucketfull, so I am always skeptical. Is there anyone with some experience out there?? What is your opinion???!! Thanks!!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Skrib69 wrote: »
    Chia seeds are held up as a 'cure all' food on the internet claiming to cure all sorts of things and boost the production of hormones such as testosterone. What I find on the internet is usually from a company trying to sell me a bucketfull, so I am always skeptical. Is there anyone with some experience out there?? What is your opinion???!! Thanks!!
    They are nutritionally close to flax seeds. When added to a liquid they are more gel-like than flax seeds are although flax seeds have that property as well.
    I am more likely to use them than flax seeds lately for no particular reason.
    Here is a basic recipe for chia seed "pudding" that is not really pudding in the traditional sense:

http://www.choosingraw.com/basic-chia-seed-pudding/
    Gena’s Basic Chia Pudding (yields 3-4 servings)

3/4 cup chia seeds
    2 cups almond milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3-4 pitted dates
    Tiny dash salt

Step 1:
    tzzp2wcrop07.jpg
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    High in fibre, no gluten , not a lot of taste , I like them as a pudding or with Greek youghrt and fruit for breakfast find them quite filling
  • themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    They add fiber & protein. Also i happen to like the texture when they get all gelatinous :)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    A cure-all cures nothing. :)

But chia seeds are nutritionally dense and have useful qualities for cooking and baking. I like them in my overnight oats and smoothies because of their texture. Some fibre and omega 3s don't go astray either.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    There is no "cure all" but they do have some great health benefits if you need more fiber in your diet. I can't get past the texture, no matter how I try them.
  • emjay196363
    emjay196363 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do they need to be ground, like flaxseeds, for your body to absorb the nutrients?
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do they need to be ground, like flaxseeds, for your body to absorb the nutrients?

No need to g rind
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    No. But you can grind them if you want.

• Southkillah
    Southkillah Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    great before any weightlifting/cardio session to keep you hydrated thanks to its gel-like substance when mixed in liquid.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't know about how they react to liquid so I will have to try that.