Strength Training - Before tracking calories

Options
pomegranatemint
pomegranatemint Posts: 37 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi there,

I have had a personal trainer for about 9 months x twice a week for 45 min. We do a mixture of strength training and cardio. Lately a lot more strength training. So kettlebells, body weight exercises, slam ball, weights (but not hardcore weights, we do everything in the park). I have lost about 12-13 kg in the last 12 months.

Anyway, I am now starting to understand weight training is the way to go for the results I am after. The thing is I didn't track my calories as well as I thought and so I have been plateauing for a number of months, in fact I have gained a couple of kg. I have in the last week really started tracking everything, so hopefully I will start losing again.

I guess my question is the strength training I have done so far been a bit wasted since I haven't been eating in a deficit most of the time? Or will definition start to show, once I drop more kg. Currently I don't see much muscle or definition anywhere. I guess I just want to know do I wait to lose more weight to see some definition or should I get into lifting hardcore weights now? I actually enjoy what we do in the park, and not too keen to be lifting ultra heavy weights, due to always having neck and shoulder problems, but if I have to I will do heavy weights.

Replies

• nknjansen
    nknjansen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You need a calorie surplus to build new muscle, and you need a calorie deficit to "see" that muscle if you've got body fat covering it.

There is no reason not to lift heavy weight just because you can't see it yet. You won't see the definition until you lose body fat, but you need to build something underneath there to see!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is the strength training I have done so far been a bit wasted since I haven't been eating in a deficit most of the time? Or will definition start to show, once I drop more kg. Currently I don't see much muscle or definition anywhere. I guess I just want to know do I wait to lose more weight to see some definition or should I get into lifting hardcore weights now? I actually enjoy what we do in the park, and not too keen to be lifting ultra heavy weights, due to always having neck and shoulder problems, but if I have to I will do heavy weights.

My guess is that your current training is more circuit/cardio training than strength training. I don't think it's been wasted time because your fitness has probably improved. You probably do want to start a strength training program now. If you're concerned about heavy weights, consider a body weight program.

Though you don't see any muscle definition, do your muscles feel firmer?
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree with @nniznik Lifting weights yields far better results than just cardio alone. However, since when you started lifting you were in a deficit you probably don't have much muscle under the fat to unveil. I recommend continuing to lift heavy until you get your body fat down to w/e you desire then maybe go on a clean bulk to build some muscle. I really don't know what you consider "lifting hardcore" but I'd recommend a gym membership instead of that stuff in the park. There you will be able to better isolate muscles and cause hypertrophy to the muscles.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No it hasn't been wasted.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My circuit training involves medicine balls, Kettlebells, Dumbbells... I also BB lift. I enjoy the faster pace and variety of circuit training more than the slow pace of BB compound lifting.

I am thinking that the increased weights (every month) in my circuits and can mean spending less time in a cage.
  • pomegranatemint
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cbarn025 wrote: »
    ^^ I agree with @nniznik Lifting weights yields far better results than just cardio alone. However, since when you started lifting you were in a deficit you probably don't have much muscle under the fat to unveil. I recommend continuing to lift heavy until you get your body fat down to w/e you desire then maybe go on a clean bulk to build some muscle. I really don't know what you consider "lifting hardcore" but I'd recommend a gym membership instead of that stuff in the park. There you will be able to better isolate muscles and cause hypertrophy to the muscles.

There might be confusion here, I was not eating at a deficit. I thinking I was eating over my calorie allotment.

Sorry I am not sure of the correct terminology for lifting heavy weights (so that's why I wrote hardcore).

What does "to w/e you desire" mean? and also "maybe go on a clean bulk to build some muscle."?

So do you lift heavy to get your body fat down? If so do you eat at a deficit? My main goal at the moment is to lose weight.
  • pomegranatemint
    edited July 2015
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Though you don't see any muscle definition, do your muscles feel firmer?

Yeah my arms and legs a definitely firmer.
  • nknjansen
    nknjansen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So do you lift heavy to get your body fat down? If so do you eat at a deficit? My main goal at the moment is to lose weight.

You eat at a deficit to get your body fat down. You should include weightlifting and adequate protein intake to help preserve the muscles you do have while losing that weight.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your exact program, its hard to comment. You don't need "hardcore" lifting, if by hardcore you mean bar bells. You can get plenty strong on kettle bells and body weight exercise. If you want to lose weight and lean out, you have to start eating a little less
  • pomegranatemint
    Options
    nniznik wrote: »

You eat at a deficit to get your body fat down. You should include weightlifting and adequate protein intake to help preserve the muscles you do have while losing that weight.

Cool, that make sense.