HELP Its like I'm possessed

Options
Omg everyone I'm having a real tough time, some helpful words of advice would be great.

I'm having problems getting back on my diet. Each night around 10pm to 12am I get hungry and start craving stuff more than I have ever on my diet. I've had McDonald's, Burger King and deep fried chips night after night. It's like I can't stop. So I'm guessing there's something more going on that me suddenly not being able to control myself. I'm thinking it may have something to do with boredom and missing my boyfriend. I haven't been out of the house much since I came back from holiday. When I was on holiday I went out everyday with my boyfriend, doing stuff and just walking about and we would stop for food when we were hungry. It wasn't healthy food but I was only having two meals a day and walking heaps. Now that I'm back home I start the day off with good intentions having porridge etc and then by lunch I'll have whatever is in the house. By dinner I'm wanting to get out of the house but everything is shut so i guess I cure my boredom by going to get food. Unhealthy food makes me feel good while I'm eating it to like I felt when I was with my boyfriend. But when I've eaten it I feel real bad because I know I've eaten it for wrong reasons. I think to get back on track I needed to realise why I'm over eating and making bad choices.

Last night I tried to remind myself why I wanted to do this and I thought I'd just snap out of it but I haven't. Atm I just don't want to go back to what I was. I already gained 3kg I don't want anymore.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight, and be patient. Eating at too aggressive a deficit for your size usually leads to bingeing.

Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly—including the fast food. Logging works.

If what you're feeling isn't hunger, then eating won't make you feel any better. Keep a mental list of non-food ways to make yourself feel better.

When I lose motivation, I reread the Sexypants post. Best advice ever: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Can you create a better daily routine? Like go out in the morning for a walk so you get some time out of the house, then eat outside for lunch (something small and delicious) and for dinner plan your meals ahead of time and don't let yourself get bored after. Keep yourself occupied with a book, games, watching youtube, learning how to draw, anything, and then go to bed at a reasonable hour. If you're really hungry that late, try having a snack like fruit or veggies or yogurt. If you don't want that, you're not hungry, you're just bored. The more you get into your routine, the easier it will be to stop eating the foods that make you feel bad.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Go to bed at 10 pm before the cravings and hunger hit.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You're in control of every food choice that you make. When you're ready to lose weight, you'll make choices that get you closer to your goal.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sounds like you're actually hungry but more like emotional eating. You will have to work really hard to break this bad habit. Eating those high calorie foods at night will cancel out any progress you made throughout the day, which is a lot of time wasted for you. Try brushing and flossing your teeth and then using mouthwash around 10pm. Your teeth will be so squeaky clean and minty that you might not want to eat anything else after that :) Might not be a bad idea to just go to sleep either...

Good luck!! I think you can do it!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Having the mindset that "I'm possessed" is a passive way to pass off your behavior as not your fault. Be honest with yourself, and admit that it is. You are the one making the choice, every day, to eat those extra calories. it's not so much that you are eating 'bad food'. It's that you are eating too many calories and gaining weight. Start weighing all of your food, and logging it, and holding yourself accountable for all of the calories you take into your body. If you stick to a calorie deficit, no matter what kind of food choices you are making, you will lose weight.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It might be true. I read an article in Medscape about how our belly bacteria can hijack our brain into eating the wrong foods. The good thing is that we can overcome this in 24 hours of healthy eating.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    It might be true. I read an article in Medscape about how our belly bacteria can hijack our brain into eating the wrong foods. The good thing is that we can overcome this in 24 hours of healthy eating.

There are no 'wrong foods'. Belly bacteria has no effect on the brain. It's part of our immune system. Please stick to legitimate medical sources.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »

Bacteria cannot override free will. You have a conscious choice to make, eat or not eat something.