Time to keep on living

Options
OsiViper
OsiViper Posts: 65 Member
Coming back after a long hiatus. Finally got to a point in my life where I really need to drop the weight. I hit my highest weight of 350 lbs and I was starting to get some scary health problems.

I started to get PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) as well as mild chest pains while laying down at night. Talked to the doctor and he said it wasn't a full blown heart attack, just angina but having so frequent PVCs at night I could easily have a heart attack while I sleep.. And I'm only 30!

Took a look on YouTube for more motivation and success stories and found one that has been really motivational to me, ObeseToBeast.

So far I've made a complete change in my diet and I have slowly added in exercise. I'm doing basically what's been called flexible dieting. Where you eat 80-90% of your calories as good healthy items and 10-20% as treats. But so far I haven't had any treats as of yet. It's just nice to know that I can if I really want something and I won't beat myself up for it.

Feel free to add me!

Replies

• christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Sounds like you went through a very frightening and sobering wake up call. I allow myself one dessert/treat a week, usually on the weekend. Keeps me from feeling deprived but is infrequent enough that it does not contribute to sugar cravings.
  • OsiViper
    Options
    Yea, I figured out why my last diets always failed. I got bored with the routine and the food. Once I feel myself getting bored I need to mix up my workouts and change up my foods I've been eating.

I could have a lot more options if I liked fish/seafood, but I am not a big fan so that limits a good amount of different proteins. So I'm stuck with chicken, beef, pork, lamb. Perfected a Gyro recipe and made it for my mom's last birthday dinner and it is really healthy so I will have to make that more often.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making a great decision to get started again. Sounds like you are motivated for a really scary reason but you are motivated and that is fantastic. I am a newbie. I think I am on day 11 or 12.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    OsiViper wrote: »
    Coming back after a long hiatus. Finally got to a point in my life where I really need to drop the weight. I hit my highest weight of 350 lbs and I was starting to get some scary health problems.

I started to get PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) as well as mild chest pains while laying down at night. Talked to the doctor and he said it wasn't a full blown heart attack, just angina but having so frequent PVCs at night I could easily have a heart attack while I sleep.. And I'm only 30!

Took a look on YouTube for more motivation and success stories and found one that has been really motivational to me, ObeseToBeast.

So far I've made a complete change in my diet and I have slowly added in exercise. I'm doing basically what's been called flexible dieting. Where you eat 80-90% of your calories as good healthy items and 10-20% as treats. But so far I haven't had any treats as of yet. It's just nice to know that I can if I really want something and I won't beat myself up for it.

Feel free to add me!

Well done mate. Your far to young to be going through all of these health worries. Good job in recognising the signs and well done for implementing what needs to be done. Flexible Dieting or IIFYM is great and I hope you get good and sustainable results. Food is something to be enjoyed and does not have to impact on your health or lifestyle. Good luck mate.
  • OsiViper
    Options
    Thanks. And Yea I've tried South Beach, Paleo, Atkins, etc and sure I lose weight but it's hard to stick to that plan for me.

The most weight I ever lost was about 10 years ago and I was able to get to about 270-280 down from 330-335 (330-335 is my average where I usually stay). It's where I learned about counting calories, and macros to a lesser extent. Didn't follow a diet plan, I just ate healthier but allowed myself some other stuff if it fit in my daily allowance. Or if it didnt fit for that day I would eat it another day and plan my meals accordingly for that day.
  • irish_elfin
    irish_elfin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is not that you need a diet but a full lifestyle change that is going to suit your needs and work with you. there is a path for everyone, you just need to find the right one... it is not a matter of sticking with it... it is changing your entire outlook and making that lifestyle change. I have found counting calories on MFP made a huge impact as many foods have a lot more calories than we expect. You can do this!!!
  • OsiViper
    Options
    Yea, this IIFYM diet plan can work for me as a lifestyle change. Because it doesn't have "Bad" foods that you can never have.

And so far it has been working for me, going out to eat, etc. Even have a birthday dinner planned for Thursday and I am planning that days meals accordingly because the dinner is a pasta meal and there will be cake afterwards. So I just need to make sure I keep my calories fairly well and carbs low so I can have dinner and cake without much worry.