Anyone who regained after ANY Bariatric surgery

Options
first let me say feel free to add me as a friend. Here's my story and I want to hear yours. All are welcome. Bypass, Lapband, Balloon, staple, sleeve, etc

Here's my story:
Had Gastric Bypass 12/Had Gastric Bypass 12/2011. So many complications I was pretty bedridden for close to a year. My list of complications:
Blood clot, internal bleeding w/multiple transfusions, gallstones, kidney stones, hyperinsulinism w/post Bariatric reactive hypoglycemia, malabsorption syndrome (even 2 1/2 yrs later), malnourishment, hair loss, depression. This was all related to surgery.

Lost only 57% of my excess body fat. Likely due to health crisis. The average person loses 70-75%. April 2014 developed an unrelated health issue and to make matters worse I had to live out of a motel room for 6 months because my landlord failed to tell us he foreclosed and he stole our security deposit. More life Makes healthy eating challenging. October 2014 I'm healthy, have a home, back on track & using MFP for calories but not watching what I'm actually eating! and then I tear my meniscus and suffer the lost of a family member. Weight starts to pile on. February 2015 one of my closest friends dies suddenly. Now I have all these excuses for gaining back 50% of the weight I lost! Then my dear friend Kathy who had her bariatric surgery the same day as me said "I'm really worried about you. You've almost died a few times from surgery complications. You lost so much weight and now it's like you went through all that for nothing." She pointed out that excuses are not reasons. So I lost 6.5 lbs and pat my self on the back and went back to excuses. A short while later Kathy (who also gained a lot of weight back) was working hard and lost 7 lbs in a week. Kathy who never worked at eating right and expected the surgery to be a magic bullet was suddenly not only my motivation but my inspiration. So on July 6, 2015 if I decided that I used MFP to lose the 10% of my excess fat required to qualify for surgery in 2011. Why not use it again now. Since 7/6 I'm down 12.5 lbs! I know I can do this! Now that Kathy is starting to struggle Intend to motivate her and return the favor!

Replies

• Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I haven't had surgery but wanted to commend you for getting back on track! I hope you and Kathy are the support each other needs and I know you'll find loads of support here on MFP. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What a journey you had! Go be her motivation!!! You can do it!!!! Don't let a day go by where you don't make a positive impact in your own life! <3<3<3<3
  • veradavis59
    veradavis59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery June 2014. I have lost 25 pounds felt bad for awhile because I had not lost more but then was reminded I had lost several inches. I have gotten back on track and My Fitness Pal and Fitbit ha <3 s helped. <3
  • randomgirlx103
    randomgirlx103 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Hoping MFP will get me back on track also!
  • wcjcjplourde
    wcjcjplourde Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to check out my profile. It tells my story. Though, it doesn't add that, since joining MFP, I managed to take off all of the weight that I gained back, plus 10lbs. However, I hit a rut, around a year ago. My workouts became seldom, as well as my food logs. I gained back 60lbs of what I'd lost, this time around. So, I'm trying to get back to it again. I don't feel that my bypass, and the debt it put us in, was for nothing. If anything, it gave me the jumpstart I needed to get myself into gear. However, once that lifestyle change is compromised, so is the weight loss.
    Good luck to you!
  • andrealboyd
    andrealboyd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whoo hoo! Good for you! I had RNY 11 years ago (June 24, 2004). I lost a total of 125 lbs. The 1st 7 years were awesome. I got married, had 3 children within 3.5 years and only gained 25 lbs back. I counted that as success. But then the last 4 years have been a huge struggle. Taking care of little ones, homeschooling, money issues, depression, yadda, yadda, yadda....you know, LIFE...and 25 more pounds. Anyway, I just went back to my surgeon's office and saw the exercise physiologist and the dietitian. They were great. The dietitian introduced me to MyFitnessPal and I'm ready to make this work. Excited for the encouragement on this site. Let's keep goin!
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    How do I join this group?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    JNHeff wrote: »
    How do I join this group?

go to http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband and look for the Green "Join this Group" button under the graphic
  • leecil
    leecil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2005. I lost 150 lbs in the 1st year. During the 1st year, I suffered from low blood pressure and spent most of the time on the couch. I, too lost most of my long, thick hair. Now I have gained back 50 pounds, most of it in the last 3 years after having neck surgery. I also have hyperinsulinemia and have become intolerant to milk.

I knew a couple of people who had bariatric surgery and had gained the weight back and when I had the surgery I swore I would not be like them. But here I am.

I have to lose weight or, as I was told before I had surgery, I will be in a wheelchair due to arthritis in my back.