Fatty wants to run..

Options
2»

Replies

• Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you live near a running store that has a beginner group run program that is a good place to start to stay motivated. If not, use the C25K and do as much as you can. The right shoes are the key. Get fitted by a professional - it isn't about whether you like how they look but what your body needs. Spare no expense on the shoes - you won't regret the investment. Don't overdo it but don't quit just because your body aches - just monitory and adjust. Good luck.
  • colleen_mairead_xo
    colleen_mairead_xo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just started here two days ago. At 302 pounds i was also worried about hurting my knees and ankles. I'm starting slow, taking longer walks with a little jogging thrown in... gotta start somewhere!!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I started running while very fat (235# at 5'6"), now I'm just fat at 192#. I run regularly and have a half marathon coming up in November.

I have arthritis in my hips and the pain is MUCH MUCH WORSE when I don't run regularly. Being active HELPS!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    ^ That story is inspiring. Thank you.
    Thank you. But I should have added that my story is not all that unusual. There are many runners with similar stories. Not all have been thin or runners since they were young. Quite a few fell in love with running by pure accident, much like I did, finding their lives so very enriched in terms of physical, mental and even in some cases spiritual health. I have heard varying stories that are similar in some ways to mine from many others I have met at races, or even here on MFP.

@WhatMeRunning, the parallels between your beginning and mine are amazing. Several differences, but the essence is identical. I'm not near the long distance runner you are but reading that story inspires me and gives me confidence that I will be someday. I started 50 pounds overweight, started by power walking for 2 months, when then goaded into running a 5K and to my surprise, I actually did (only because my bro-in-law was there to keep me from running too fast). 2 days later, in spite of my sore muscled, I tried it again, then two days after that and so on. THat was only 2.5 months ago and since that first 5K I've run 3 more, plus two 10K's.My max distance to date is 7.3 miles and I will have my first half on Halloween. I'll admit I'm unusual in that I didn't do ANY running leading up to my first 5K. That power walking must have really gotten my heart in shape.

I had my right knee scoped out and half my meniscus removed about 8 years ago and I thought for sure that my knee would prevent me from running much, but it other than a few mild mild moments of pain early on (very mild), it's been a non issue. My knees feel better than they have in a long time. My body feels better than it has in a long time. Even my mind feels better.
    Anyone here interested in running for distance should check out the monthly Running Challenge threads here in the MFP forums, along with the Long Distance Runners group. You will find sage, helpful advice from lifelong runners, those who became runners, and also find other aspiring runners. Lots of supportive people there.

Truth.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @CaptainBibi, one more thing. When I started running and people I know found out, there was some skepticism, a joke or two at my expense, some hurtful things said, and probably a lot of doubt that I'd stick with it. If you get that, either ignore them or use it as further motivation. I used it as motivation.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for couch to 5 k program.
    I started running at 230lbs because I just had to do something. Ended up losing 90 lbs
    You got this.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I actually Ran for the first time in years today!
    I normally Powerwalk (and used to Sprint years ago), but running longish distances is totally different.
    But after seeing this thread yesterday i thought to myself "let me see if i can run a few miles today".
    I managed to do about 2 1/2 miles and admittedly did stop a few times, but so glad i tried it....i loved it!
    Thanks OP.... you can do it too!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1. The only thing holding you back is your thinking. Work on seeing the positive end result in your heart and mind, instead of looking for the possible negatives, that can be easily rationalized.
    2. Don't try to judge yourself by what others may do. We are all unique in our body and background.
    3. Be patient with yourself. None of us got where we are in life overnight. And getting impatient and trying to do too much at once, is a recipe for physical pain and frustration.
    4. Remove the word "can't" from your vocabulary.
    5. "Fatty" in your thread title denotes that you believe being fat is your identity. It isn't your identity unless you allow it to be. Don't define yourself in such narrow and shallow terms.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    So.. most of my friends jog and they enjoy it. A few of them said it's the fastest way they've been able to lose weight and get fit, however, me being heavily overweight makes me rather reluctant because I don't want to damage my knees and ankles...

Start with Couch to 5k, or a run/walk program that works for you. Your joints (knees, ankles, hips, etc) will adapt and you'll be able to run more and more. Plus, there's plenty of evidence than running can actually strengthen not only your muscles but your bones as well, as a response to the impact (I'd google an example but I'm too lazy, lol, but it's out there, I swear!). Just start slow and soon you'll enjoy it too :)

Also: If you choose to start running, and I hope you do!, here's my advice: do core and basic strengthening exercises as well! Just bodyweight lunges and/or squats, some crunches or sit-ups and planks here or there... I neglected those things for years and had chronic problems with my knees. Once I started taking care of more than just my legs, those problems almost completely disappeared. Running is a whole body sport, and requires attention to the whole body in order to stay injury free.
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have to offer the alternate viewpoint to everyone above, unfortunately. A coworker of mine started running when she was around 300 pounds (she's almost 6 ft) and wrecked her knees. Arthritis set in (something studies verify is 3 times as common in obese runners as normal weight runners) and her doctor told her to stop. 10 years later, she walks with a cane and needs to have double-knee replacement surgery. Since you didn't even give us your stats when you asked the question, I don't know whether you are at risk for the same thing or not. I have been walking because, even at 5'8 and 230 lbs, I think I'm still too heavy. Instead, I use the Map My Walk app to push myself to do faster and faster miles- I'm trying to walk 15 minute miles if I can. I burn over 1,000 calories in a 90-minute walk.

If you do listen to everyone else and start running, at least start taking glucosamine on day one. That stuff is miraculous. It rolled back my own "crunchy" knees within weeks after I had to use crutches for four months and damaged my knees by overcompensating.
  • CaptainBibi
    CaptainBibi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and encouragement! Amazing!! :# I have downloaded the C 2 5 k app and will give it a go tomorrow! Hold thumbs for me!
  • homemademama
    homemademama Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to hear about your progress - I've recently started walking/running and right now sticking with it has been my major achievement, regardless of my miles and time.