Protein powder that aids weight loss?

Options
I'm looking for a good protein powder (available in the UK) that I can have after the gym? Any recommendations?
Tia x

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You can have any protein powder "after the gym", if it fits your calorie goals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    gemmacto wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good protein powder (available in the UK) that I can have after the gym? Any recommendations?
    Tia x
    Protein powders don't aid in weight loss. If used after the gym they are usually for recovery.

The only thing that causes weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Protein powder should be taken if you find it difficult to meet your protein needs with real food. It should also be thought of to support muscle growth or preservation and not as a weight loss aid.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    protein powders don't "aid in weightloss"...it's just a supplement to help you hit your calorie targets...that's it...no more "magic" than that. taking in protein right after a good workout can help aid in recovery from said workout.
  • gemmacto
    gemmacto Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sorry what I meant was a low cal powder or any others that people recommend, there are so many out there I don't really know which to choose. I usually go to the gym late at night as I don't have time to go during the day so don't really want to be eating a meal after
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Most isolates will be lower in calories. You just have to buy one without fat or many carbs.

Dymatize ISO-100 has about 106 calories per serving iirc, with only 1 gram of sugar and 25g of protein per serving. I think it's a bit more expensive too, though.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'll second that - it sounds like a quality whey isolate is what you're looking for.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Protein has 4 calories for gram. Whey protein isolate is the best bang for your buck because 25g of powder will have more than 20 grams of protein. If the powder has less than 80% protein per gram, then it's usually junk.

I like unflavored protein powder with no fillers because I can add it to a lot of foods if I need extra protein. But you can go with a flavored one if you want.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    protein powders don't "aid in weightloss"...it's just a supplement to help you hit your calorie targets...that's it...no more "magic" than that. taking in protein right after a good workout can help aid in recovery from said workout.

This!