Broken 200 today (my Silver goal)!

Options
48 years old, was 286 lbs at 5'10". Made the decision 12 months ago to get in shape before I die. Set 3 goals:
  • Bronze: Run a 10K without stopping
  • Silver: Crack 200 pounds
  • Gold: Hit my university weight of 186 pounds
Hit my bronze in March, and have run 3 10K's this year so far (57'27" best time so far).

Hit 199.4 pounds today on my Aria scale! Weee! Thank you FitBit and MFP!

Gold is certainly do-able, and then I can start to lessen my cardio workout focus (100%) and start doing more free weights (say, 50/50 with the cardio). But... I'm starting to think a Platinum goal of 171 pounds (my high school weight) is possible.

Thoughts, especially considering my age? Try for more muscle-y, or more tone-y?

Replies

• mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, I cant imagine myself running 10 K, it's great that you've done 3.
  • JunoBeachVan
    JunoBeachVan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    mochomito wrote: »
    That's awesome, I cant imagine myself running 10 K, it's great that you've done 3.

Best tip I got from someone else... Sign up for a 10K a couple months from now that you have to pay money to enter.

Now you essentially HAVE to do it. And then you're motivated. And then you can do it! :)
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you!!! You should be very proud.

Me, I'm going for healthy. It's more about the health than the looks...which is good, because I'll never a great body, lol. :)

I'd love to run a 10K and am wicked impressed that you did it. :)
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love your goal labels! Congrats of completing the first two so far.
    I still have to register for the 5K for my son's school in October...triple guilt if I don't do it because it costs money, is a fundraiser for the school nd I already took the day off from work and don't want to waste a vacation day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,879 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    But that would hurt my paws :smile: Though I would be happy to walk it :wink:

Considering what you've already accomplished you know that your HS goal may be reachable.

However you may also want to set goals based on body fat % as opposed to just weight.

And because of where you live you won't have to use @rabbitjb 's method of jumping nakid in front of the mirror to figure out that whatever jiggles and is not boobs or genitals is fat ;-)

You have access to body pods tests in Langley (I think he quoted me $75 for the first and under $60 for subsequent ones), and you can also do a DXA scan downtown @ Bodycomp imaging.

Peter charges $100 for the first one and subsequent ones are $90. He also does a mini consult if you want and can give you exercise pointers.

And then you will know more about where you may want to go :smiley:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great work and focus!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Way to get it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    48 years old, was 286 lbs at 5'10". Made the decision 12 months ago to get in shape before I die. Set 3 goals:
    • Bronze: Run a 10K without stopping
    • Silver: Crack 200 pounds
    • Gold: Hit my university weight of 186 pounds
    Hit my bronze in March, and have run 3 10K's this year so far (57'27" best time so far).

Hit 199.4 pounds today on my Aria scale! Weee! Thank you FitBit and MFP!

Gold is certainly do-able, and then I can start to lessen my cardio workout focus (100%) and start doing more free weights (say, 50/50 with the cardio). But... I'm starting to think a Platinum goal of 171 pounds (my high school weight) is possible.

Thoughts, especially considering my age? Try for more muscle-y, or more tone-y?

Congratulations that's brilliant

Start lifting now ...3 times a week ...do something like stronglifts5x5

Don't wait
  • kharver
    kharver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Keep up the progress! You will be at PLATINUM status in no time!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Great job. Where there is a will, there is a way. You, along with many here, prove it every day.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! Now don't do like I did after reaching your first goal and get too smug and say hmmph, that was easy, I can do that any time . . . . KEEP GOING!!!! But somehow I think you would even if I didn't offer my unsolicited advice aiming at shaming myself :)
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats on the weight loss and the 10k's!

As for muscle-y vs tone-y, I think you should do whatever looks better to you in the mirror. Once you really start with the weights, improving strength becomes an addictive motivator. :smile:
  • Supersallysunshine
    Supersallysunshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    SO AWESOME! Congratulations on a job well done.