I want to start weight lifting/ training please help!!

Options
I am very interested in starting weight lifting. I have 30-40 pounds or so more to lose. Will weight lifting stall the weight loss or help? I don't really want to go to the gym until j know what I'm doing. What should I buy to get started? Thanks so much!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Emj30135 wrote: »
    I am very interested in starting weight lifting. I have 30-40 pounds or so more to lose. Will weight lifting stall the weight loss or help? I don't really want to go to the gym until j know what I'm doing. What should I buy to get started? Thanks so much!

Lifting is arguably the best thing you can do with your weight loss program.

Don't need to buy anything but a gym membership, just pick a program and do it.

Some recommended programs are
    Starting strength
    Strong lifts 5x5
    Strong curves
    New rules of lifting for women
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You might stall at first and gain some water weight, but it'll be temporary.

Look up Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women. Decide which program you feel comfortable enough with, and go from there.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lifting is absolutely the best thing you can do to maintain muscle mass while losing. Sooner, rather than later is a great idea.
    Does your gym have a personal trainer that isn't an idiot that can show you the ropes?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You would only stall from micro tears in yout muscles created from lifting, causing your body to build up fluid.

But you will see lot more changes in your body composition and overall look.
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A side note. The best programs focus on progressive overload (lifting heavier weights over time) and compound lifts with free weight Dumbbells and barbells.

This means you'll want to find a gym that has a power rack or squat rack with spotter arms, because that's where the majority of your workouts will be.
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I wasnt losing any weight until i started lifting . i started out on 1200 calories.now i lift and eat more 1430 on non lift days 1600-1700 on lift days..i love lifting! Give it a try you wont be disappointed...btw i started out by going to the gym doing my own thing which was a waste of time..someone suggested stronglifts .im in love with deadlifts lbvs...
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah btw ive been lifting about a month and have lost 8lbs and 4 inches off my waist
  • Emj30135
    Emj30135 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will go and talk with a trainer at the gym I've been thinking about joining and see if they can help me out! I get a free 7 day pass to see how I like it!
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will go and talk with a trainer at the gym I've been thinking about joining and see if they can help me out! I get a free 7 day pass to see how I like it!

Just be aware that it doesn't take much to be a trainer. A few bucks and an online exam is all it really takes. Here's what to look out for:

1. Is the trainer in good physical condition? If not, they have no business training you.

2. Do they suggest a women lift different than a man? Higher rep ranges and lighter weights for toning? More cardio than weights? If so, get out of there.

3. Do they tell you to remove food groups from your diet or get on some fad type diet? If so, don't take them too seriously

4. Can they help you with proper form on heavy compound lifts like squats and deadlifts? Or do they tell you those exercises are dangerous and not for beginners? If the latter, find another trainer.
  • Emj30135
    Options
    Thanks galgenstrick. I will make sure they know what they are talking about. I am just nervous to do this in front of everyone when I don't know what to do. All these buff guys are gonna be like what is she doin'? Haha!
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks galgenstrick. I will make sure they know what they are talking about. I am just nervous to do this in front of everyone when I don't know what to do. All these buff guys are gonna be like what is she doin'? Haha!

You'll be fine, you'll find that most people will have respect for you if you lift with good form and don't ego lift a bunch of weight with bad form. If they don't respect you for that, then that's their problem, and they're the ones that don't know what they're doing.

On the other hand, just make sure you go in there with a plan and a program to follow. Don't be this chick:

https://youtu.be/Wxn0BYvIthI
  • Emj30135
    Options
    Wow! Bahahaha! That is hilarious.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

You'll be fine, you'll find that most people will have respect for you if you lift with good form and don't ego lift a bunch of weight with bad form. If they don't respect you for that, then that's their problem, and they're the ones that don't know what they're doing.

On the other hand, just make sure you go in there with a plan and a program to follow. Don't be this chick:

https://youtu.be/Wxn0BYvIthI

laughssss!