educational and inspiring documentaries on Netflix streaming.

Options
These really help to motivate me.enjoy them and hey don't even think about making buttery popcorn.

Fed up. *****
Food Inc. *****
Vegucated. ***
Bite size. ***
Fat,sick,and nearly dead. ***
Forks over knives. ***
Bigger,stronger,faster. ****
Farmaggedon. ***

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Ew no. These "documentaries" (and I'm using that term loosely here) are not worth the time it takes to read their synopses.
    Rather, check out actual science.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed The Search for General Tso.

I've seen all but the last 2 titles on your list, and didn't enjoy them.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

The term documentary is used very loosely with these films.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate that these pass as documentaries these days. When I think documentary, I think Ken Burns, not blatant pushing of an agenda because we already have a word for that - propaganda.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I found most of those to be fear-mongering, rather than educational.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Ew no. These "documentaries" (and I'm using that term loosely here) are not worth the time it takes to read their synopses.

"Mockumentaries"
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Only these films are the reasons I enjoy the "can't be viewed in your country" distribution malarkey. I went to watch Hungry For Change just to see what it was about, but The Very Hungry Caterpilar showed up in the search box so I watched that instead.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I like the title "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead," lol. That was me. :smiley:

These are all movies to try to encourage people to eat healthy, right? I'm already doing that.

When people find out that I eat healthy food, they sometimes ask if I've seen these things and tell me how great they are. I eat healthy because I want to be healthy, not because of some faux-documentary. I don't want to see the movies.
  • weinman2015
    weinman2015 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well geez.they helped me.I thought maybe they would help others.I was wrong
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

The problem with these documentaries is that they are extremely biased, and they are all pushing some agenda. And then the filmmakers sensationalize everything in them even more so that people will watch them.

The "science" in them is extremely shaky, at best.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Bigger,stronger,faster.

REALLY enjoyed that one!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There was one I watched with the kids a while ago... had a sea turtle in it. Was rather enjoyable.
  • weinman2015
    Options

The problem with these documentaries is that they are extremely biased, and they are all pushing some agenda. And then the filmmakers sensationalize everything in them even more so that people will watch them.

The "science" in them is extremely shaky, at best.

So its mostly bs? Like the way animals are treated in food Inc and the fact that they add pink die to meat?I just wanna know what is true
  • weinman2015
    Options
    There was one I watched with the kids a while ago... had a sea turtle in it. Was rather enjoyable.

Hmmm I wonder which one
  • weinman2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Bigger,stronger,faster.

REALLY enjoyed that one!

Hell yeah.that dude with the massive bicepts and the heavy Brooklyn accent was hilarious
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    How do they help you? Do you juice, eat vegan, avoid sugar and lobby your gov't?
    Or is it just the topic of diet, and the profiles done on various people is what does it for you?

If the latter I can kind of get that, I enjoy shows about gastic bypass despite not really agreeing with the method nor am I moved by much of the messages, really, but I still get something out of the profiles on patients, their documented struggles pre and post op, their transformations, etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

"Mockumentaries"

Snort!