5 weeks, keeping to the goals but not losing weight. In danger of giving up!

Options
hi all. I'm a typical yoyo dieter. I've generally put on 7lbs a year now over 7 years despite losing it in between. I'm a single mum, work long hours as a teacher and really want to boost my self esteem and health by losing this weight once and for all! I'm sticking to my net calories over the course of a week and for the first 2 weeks lost 5 pounds. Then it stopped. In fact I've just returned from centerparcs where although I've eaten well I've exercised my backside off! BUT have come home 2lbs heavier. I'm feeling fairly demotivated and wondered if anyone had a similar experience or had any ideas? Thanks xxx

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You didn't put it on in 5 weeks, it won't come off in 5 weeks...
  • JaneM1971
    JaneM1971 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    JaneM1971 wrote: »
    hi all. I'm a typical yoyo dieter. I've generally put on 7lbs a year now over 7 years despite losing it in between. I'm a single mum, work long hours as a teacher and really want to boost my self esteem and health by losing this weight once and for all! I'm sticking to my net calories over the course of a week and for the first 2 weeks lost 5 pounds. Then it stopped. In fact I've just returned from centerparcs where although I've eaten well I've exercised my backside off! BUT have come home 2lbs heavier. I'm feeling fairly demotivated and wondered if anyone had a similar experience or had any ideas? Thanks xxx

• JaneM1971
    Options
    You didn't put it on in 5 weeks, it won't come off in 5 weeks...
    Thanks Toad xx I keep saying that to myself ....
  • tottie3912
    tottie3912 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Get's harder in our 40's, but it doesn't have to get the best of us. You do need to be ready to make changes though. I was not able to do everything at once, so I started two years ago by cleaning up my diet, food wise. Now here I am with the next challenge, daily exercise along with dropping alcohol. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the little fluctuations during the process ... could be water weight or muscle gain.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    idk what centerparcs is, but often when you increase your exercise you will retain weight, even gain. not sure the exact process your body goes through but it seems to retain water or something. if you keep it up, you will level off and see results in the long run. if your not weighing your food, START. get mentally prepared that you will have bad moments, bad days and possibly bad weeks. its up to you to keep after it and keep coming back. you know what needs to happen. do or dont but please stop whining about it.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It gets harder, maybe. I will be 66 in three months, sticking to my 1200 to 1400 calories per day and losing 2 pounds per week. Of course, I had 70 to lose and I know it will most likely slow down but it can be done. Please don't give up. We can do this!!
  • JaneM1971
    Options
    Thanks to TavistockToaf and Tottie for the support x
  • JaneM1971
    Options
    You've given me a boost Judith NYC XX THANK YOU
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you measuring and weighing all your foods before entering them? If you open your diary to public we can take a look and see if anything jumps out.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you measuring and weighing all your foods before entering them? If you open your diary to public we can take a look and see if anything jumps out.

Yep, if you're weighing all of your foods and only eating back 50% or fewer of your exercise calories, you should be losing unless you have a medical condition. Can you open your diary?
  • tonysan65
    tonysan65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One other thing to think about, how often are you weighing yourself? Once a week is a good schedule, first thing in the morning. If calories going out is larger than calories going in you should be seeing a loss. Make sure you are recording every bit of food you take in, especially if you are not losing. Calibrate your scale. Find something that has some weight to it, I use a bowling ball, and record the weight. A couple of times a month reweigh the weight. Make sure you do not keep your scale in the bathroom where there is a large change in humidity. Have faith, you will lose.