Anyone else have acanthosis nigricans?

Options
I have this terrible, awful thing called acanthosis nigricans (AN). I am insulin resistant with PCOS. I have just started my journey to get healthy and loose weight. Start weight 228lbs, hoping to get down to 175lbs. It's only been a few weeks of low(er) carbing and workouts and I think I have seen a rather impressive difference in my AN. Any one else have AN, and better yet have a success story on treating it??? I feel really dumb for not doing this sooner... really, really dumb! While I have learned to live with my size, my AN has been a constant worry and source of embarrassment.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my daughter has that due to insulin resistance and hypothyroid. hers has improved greatly with lower carb as well. just give it time. hers is almost unnoticeable and she started lower carb in april. hope yours improves even more,just give it some time
  • Supersallysunshine
    Supersallysunshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Charlie!

I wish your daughter the best! I am encouraged to hear of her improvement. I am going to take a photo of my AN tonight to have something to relate it too. I really, really miss carbs. Maybe when I am dreaming of a bagel in the future I can look back at this photo to stay motivated.
  • crys_todd
    crys_todd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had AN too when I was first diagnosed with PCOS. Metformin, lower carb diet, and weight loss made it disappear.
    I had my hair up at work recently and a coworker commented on how lovely she thought my skin was. It made me laugh inside thinking about how embarrassed I used to feel about my dark neck.
  • Supersallysunshine
    Options
    OH YAY! I am so happy to hear this Crys, you have no idea.

I live in Ohio, it's so hot right now, but I won't put my hair up in public. The AN has bothered me more the extra pounds. I am not currently on metformin, I am trying to avoid it (my stomach didn't agree with it). With the results I have already seen I think maybe, just maybe, I can get rid of my AN.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my daughter has it on the back of her neck and her armpits. but it doesnt seem to bother her. but I have noticed the difference. she is losing some weight but its slow moving.
  • ups14
    ups14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is encouraging to hear. I've tried low carbing, but nothing seems to be working. Some days it seems like the AN will never go away.
  • Supersallysunshine
    Options
    Ups, maybe Urea cream will help? It's doctor prescribed. It exfoliates the skin build up, and should help with the 'rope' like appearance of AN. Have faith, and good luck!
  • vivrevotrevie
    vivrevotrevie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing, mostly located on my underarms and thighs. So encouraging to hear.

• Supersallysunshine
    Options
    SingRun, you look awesome!!! I hope I can have post a before and after soon!!! I have lost over ten pounds, but alas, I look the exact same!!! UGH, another ten and I hope to see a difference in my pants. I did take a before of my neck AN, I hope to post that too once my AN clears more.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've had it on my armpits for a long time now. I've been trying to eat better for the last three weeks, and I've lost 6 pounds so far and I feel like my armpits possibly could be getting lighter. I didn't take any before pictures of it so I honestly can't say for sure. I hope I'm right though, and that it's not just wishful thinking. haha.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I had such a classic case that I was used as a (live) medical model in my teens.

It seems to have pretty much gone away.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    ups14 wrote: »
    This is encouraging to hear. I've tried low carbing, but nothing seems to be working. Some days it seems like the AN will never go away.

These things can take time. Be consistent with the low-carbing. Also, try to exercise 6-7 days a week, because it increases insulin sensitivity, which improves A.N.. not to mention it gives other benefits..
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I used to have it. I was also a type II diabetic and followed a low carb diet as instructed by my doctor. It was mainly around my neck and armpits area with a tiny bit around the inner legs/groin area. After 1 ½ years and losing over 100 lbs, it's pretty much gone now.
  • alexaries1221
    alexaries1221 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have had AN for as long as I can remember. I am currently at 275 lbs and want to change my lifestyle and get rid of my AN. It's great encouragement to hear all of this good feedback and progress from everyone. I think I will include some progress pictures next time I record my weight.
  • iyalobe
    iyalobe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have AN in my groin area and it has changed my life for the worse. I have lost confidence especially with sex. My partner and I love *kitten* eating and I feel so depressed about this illness.I will start a low carb diet before booking an appointment. Please is there anything I can use to make my groin less dark? I am an african woman. I am so desperate
  • Nippykharbanda36
    Nippykharbanda36 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options