Trying to get it right this time

Options
Hello everyone!

A friend of mine recommend this website to help with accountability. I've recently turned thirty and am desperate to make a change in my life. I've been overweight (well, really obese) since hitting the teens. Every year I say I'm going to lose weight and it never happens. I've wasted so much time. I have all the tools and the knowledge.... what I lack is motivation and commitment.

I got married three years ago weighing 230. My highest weight ever was this past January, clocking in at 282. I've recently had a run-in with cervical cancer. After being "spayed" (as my husband calls it), I'm trying to take this opportunity to have a do-over on my health. I currently weigh 263-264 and want the numbers to keep going down instead of creeping back up like they do.

I don't like the person that I've become. I feel so self-aware and embarrassed about myself that I think it's starting to affect my marriage! :cry:

I need to get a good support group together so I can finally kick this mindset I've been in for 15+ years. Any takers?

Replies

• Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    Welcome!
    Good Luck!!! This place is awesome for accountability and learning a lot.
    Also it is very addictive.. ( I have it on my phone) But that helps to keep track on the go.
    Add me if you would like...
    X
  • mescla
    mescla Posts: 56
    Options
    Sure go ahead and add me too..
  • mngrrl
    mngrrl Posts: 2
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first steps to a healthier you! I have been using this site for almost two years and it has definitely helped to track my progress, as well as my setbacks. I too decided to get in shape in my 30's after being quite un-athletic my entire life. It's difficult but you can do it! I lost about 27 pounds with the help of this site and a personal trainer. The trainer was a little expensive but I think it's the best money I've ever spent. It helps to have someone to hold you accountable. Knowing that, I'm definitely here to support you if you need it!
  • chivimd
    chivimd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a great site, a group resource and a great group of people.

I think I know what you mean by "self-aware" but I must say, being self-aware is the only way to know yourself. Its the only way to know what motivates you and what leads to self-destructive behaviour. I think that being self-aware is great!

I started out as one of the laziest people I know with regard to physical fitness. I work at a computer all day and I'm normally tired at the end of the day so I don't feel like working out. Anyway, I started using MFP last Summer as a bit of a lark. I didn't even bother weighing myself before I started because I wasn't sure how long I would go. I weighed myself after I started noticing a difference in how I felt and after realizing that it was actually pretty easy keeping within the nutritional goals suggested by the site. I've dropped almost 50 pounds since I started weighing myself and I estimate between 50 and 60 since I started using the site. I work out daily now (I started in January). I feel so much better, both mentally and physically. I used to take ant-acid every day. I think I've taken ant-acid twice since August and that's just because I ate spicy food.

I can't say enough about MFP and the people who use it.

Good luck to you. Know yourself and you will reach your goal.