Practical applications for barbell hip thrusts?

Options
Can someone show me some applications for this exercise in life outside the weight room?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Athletics and sports. Don't have to be a professional to do either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    In your world are there many thanks you can engage in without somehow utilizing your glutes/hips?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    In your world are there many thanks you can engage in without somehow utilizing your glutes/hips?

This.

I'm kind of scratching my head over this question.
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options

My glutes and hips seem to be working adequately without having done them. How will they make life better, aside from flag football evidently?

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

My glutes and hips seem to be working adequately without having done them. How will they make life better, aside from flag football evidently?

Have you ever actually tested them? Strong Curves had a few exercises to see how strong your glutes are. You may think they are working but other muscles end up compensating which can lead to injuries or pain, including back pain. People who sit for a long period of time for work often have weak glutes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Your constant forum.....I think I'm not allowed to use the T word is just a weak on this account as your previous one.

Do your pecs and shoulders work adequately without having done pushups? How about your quads before you did your first squat? Yes, they worked before? Then case closed, you never need lift again. Please inform the person with the gun that's forcing you to consider doing hip thrusts that his services are no longer needed.
  • Pittleydink
    Options

Have you ever actually tested them? Strong Curves had a few exercises to see how strong your glutes are. You may think they are working but other muscles end up compensating which can lead to injuries or pain, including back pain. People who sit for a long period of time for work often have weak glutes.

No I haven't tested them. I have had back pain in the past, though not much since I began exercising regularly. I do feel sometimes that my hips are out of alignment but am not sure how to verify this. What kinds of tests do you recommend?
  • Pittleydink
    Options
    I looked up 'strong curves' and it seems to be designed primarily for women to build a 'better butt.'
    Are these kinds of exercises primarily for improving physical appearance? I have no interest in my butt getting bigger, however I would do this exercise, despite the embarrassment of performing it, if it will help prevent injuries and create more balance throughout my body strength wise.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Your glutes are a part of your core. Strong Curves helps women and men get a stronger core. Brett Contreras "The Glute Guy" wrote strong curves with a focus on the butt. Other trainers are incorporating his ideas into their workout plans. Not everyone wants a flat weak-azz butt. And a nice round butt looks good on men and women.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Hip thrusts are great accessories to deadlifts and squats, which, I'm sure you know, are great compound exercises.

http://bretcontreras.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-hip-thrust/

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bigger-better-glutes
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I looked up 'strong curves' and it seems to be designed primarily for women to build a 'better butt.'
    Are these kinds of exercises primarily for improving physical appearance? I have no interest in my butt getting bigger, however I would do this exercise, despite the embarrassment of performing it, if it will help prevent injuries and create more balance throughout my body strength wise.

Not sure if you have something similar, but I suffer from sacroiliac joint instability (my sacrum/pelvis joint is too mobile and I have to realign it when it shifts out of place). It gives me lower back pain and sciatica-like symptoms when misaligned. I've found the best way to realign it is in a doorway, like (E) in the following picture. Put your foot up as high as you can on one side of the doorway and push, bracing your back and pelvis against the other side of the doorway. If my hips are out of alignment, I hear and feel a satisfying click.
    Richard-DonTigny.gif
    from http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=50535

That being said, any exercise for the muscles around the hips are supposed to help stabilize the area, so I do them (but also for the 'better butt'). I have the luxury of being able to do my hip thrusts at home where no one has to look at me. I'd still say they're worthwhile at the gym, just avoid eye contact.
  • Pittleydink
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Your glutes are a part of your core. Strong Curves helps women and men get a stronger core. Brett Contreras "The Glute Guy" wrote strong curves with a focus on the butt. Other trainers are incorporating his ideas into their workout plans. Not everyone wants a flat weak-azz butt. And a nice round butt looks good on men and women.

I feel like my butt is round, but kind of small. When I'm doing planks or pushups and I look over in the mirror and I have a little perky round butt. I will take a picture of it sometime.

• Pittleydink
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »

Not sure if you have something similar, but I suffer from sacroiliac joint instability (my sacrum/pelvis joint is too mobile and I have to realign it when it shifts out of place). It gives me lower back pain and sciatica-like symptoms when misaligned. I've found the best way to realign it is in a doorway, like (E) in the following picture. Put your foot up as high as you can on one side of the doorway and push, bracing your back and pelvis against the other side of the doorway. If my hips are out of alignment, I hear and feel a satisfying click.
    Richard-DonTigny.gif
    from http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=50535

That being said, any exercise for the muscles around the hips are supposed to help stabilize the area, so I do them (but also for the 'better butt'). I have the luxury of being able to do my hip thrusts at home where no one has to look at me. I'd still say they're worthwhile at the gym, just avoid eye contact.

Thanks for the tip I'll try those maneuvers.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I'm disappointed by every single response in this thread.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yes, that is part of what the program is. But, if you read the stuff, it is more than that. The author goes into great detail about the role of the glutes, and, as I mentioned, talks about exercises which can help identify weaknesses, which is why I brought it up.
    rileyes wrote: »

And this.
  • Pittleydink
    Options

Yes, that is part of what the program is. But, if you read the stuff, it is more than that. The author goes into great detail about the role of the glutes, and, as I mentioned, talks about exercises which can help identify weaknesses, which is why I brought it up.

I don't really want to buy the book, could someone just tell me the tests to do to identify if I have weak glutes or not?

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Gives yer man something to grab with his hands, of course.
  • jemhh
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that I'm disappointed by every single response in this thread.

Trust me, I asked my husband how he'd answer and he just grinned.