HIIT training... Where to start

Options
Hello. So I want to start incorporating HIIT into my workouts, how long should the session last and what ratio should I use?

Looking at the ratio there's a massive difference, some are saying 30secs of work to 90 secs of rest, others say 1min of work to 1min of rest... Confussed.

Thank you :)

Replies

• canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do running sprint intervals. I run steady state for 3 min (6.8) then sprint for 1 minute (7.1) repeat 3x, increasing speed each time (2nd time 6.9/7.2). For the last sprint interval in keep increasing the speed, just to see how fast I can get it. My running takes 20 minutes.

I rest for 1 minute between each interval. I used to slow the treadmill down to 3.5, but the new ones are touchcreen and take forever to get down from 7.2 to 3.5, so now I just jump off to the side and rest.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Start slow & low, increase as able.
    I've read it's better to decrease the rest period than to increase the work period,
    so if you start with 0:30 / 2:30, maybe cut 0:15 off the rest every week or two.

You can add HIIT to pretty much any cardio - increase speed for a burst, or increase incline.
    If you're out walking, speed walk a little while or do stairs (or a hill).

I like doing the hill setting on the treadmill. It does 1 minute at low(er) incline, then 1 minute at increasingly
    higher incline, for (IIRC) 4 or 5 steps, then goes back to the lowest step & repeats the pattern for the time
    you have.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. So...

...what are you trying to accomplish?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    For cardio capacity I do

3 min warm up

30 sec 92% or greater of HRM

2 1/2 min of easy and panting from the sprint

Do that cycle 4 times.

Cool down 3 minutes

It is easy to go for just 12 minutes you would think. But if you really sprint hard for 30 seconds that is not

2X a week first week then 3x a week after that

I was given that by my trainer at the gym after I was already used to doing 40 minutes of steady state cardio at 75% HRM

If you really do HIIT at full it should be an intense panting sort of affair. If you only get to 85% HRM it is interval training more

I would not over do it

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    There are NO real set increments on rest time. You can make them up yourself. Just realize for something to be high intensity, it usually can't last more than 30 seconds. A minute of it would be interval training and NOT high interval training because high interval would be 90%+ effort.
    If you can run, sprints are an eye opener to HIIT for the beginner. You get to see how tough it can really be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    usually anything under 15 minutes.

For my new clients I used to have 2-3 shorter sets of like 15 rest- 45 seconds work for only 5-6 rounds- then we would rest and do something moderate between so not a full shut down- but like a couple of easy stair sets then do another round. When you work up to it you can do them all back to back and make it a full 15 min workout.

My standard go to was 50 second work - 10 seconds rest and usually like 4-6 rounds with different exercises. Anything over 12-15 min is just counter productive.

keep in mind- you never get better at HIIT workouts - you just suck less.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There are NO real set increments on rest time. You can make them up yourself. Just realize for something to be high intensity, it usually can't last more than 30 seconds. A minute of it would be interval training and NOT high interval training because high interval would be 90%+ effort.
    If you can run, sprints are an eye opener to HIIT for the beginner. You get to see how tough it can really be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I find it interesting my trainer also says the same thing. 30 second sprint is about all you can do.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

You see people on MFP all the time talking about "sprinting for 1 minute". If you can do it for a minute, you're not sprinting...

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Even 100m runners like Usain Bolt are decelerating during the race and that only lasts 10 seconds or so. It's impossible to sprint flat out for 1 minute like some people claim. 400m runners (45 secs) are not flat out the whole way around. That's why TABATA is so demanding and only really suitable for elite athletes and is different to HIIT and interval training. All are excellent methods of exercising.
  • nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I follow the fitness blender hiit workouts on YouTube. Maybe try those and get a feel for it.
  • HaleyBrom
    HaleyBrom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :)

I went today and done the bike. 30 secs of full on 1 min of moderate for 20 mins, but that included a 2 min warm up and a 2 min cool down. I'm crap at running lol but will give it a go another time not the treadmill.

I was doing a lot of weights, then I suddenly jumped to cardio (however I have decided I have an unhealthy relationship with counting calories burned during my cardio routines) so I'm just trying to mix up some of my workouts really and thought this would be a good one to throw in, without spending hours at the gym.

Thank you all again
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like the Youtube videos (try Global Cycling Network... not sure if I am allowed to post a link.) There is one that's 20 minutes long, and it is just challenging enough for me.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT incline sprints on the treadmill since I'm already at the gym and do this as a finisher a few times a week.

Set the incline and speed properly so at the end of 30 seconds you are ready to die. Then drop the speed to a slow jog or walk for a minute (or longer if you need it). Repeat 7 times (warm-up and cool-down assumed).

As this gets easier, raise the incline and/or speed and drop your rest period.

If you don't feel like you're ready to die at the end of the session, it wasn't really HIIT.