Need motivation to exercise! Sunday motivation tips!!!

Options
LaDawnnie
LaDawnnie Posts: 72 Member
SUNDAY MOTIVATION!
( long... But a good read for some great motivation tips)
How do you find motivation to exercise when you just don’t feel like getting off your butt? I ask myself this question every now and then, and I have the feeling I’m not the only one.
There are a million ways to motivate yourself to exercise, actually, but these are a few that have worked for me. And trust me, I’ve had days when I’ve struggled with exercise.
How you feel after a workout. I always feel great after a good workout. It’s a high. And I let that motivate me the next time: “You know how good you’re going to feel, LaDawnnie!”
Time for you. While many people make time to take care of others (kids, spouse, other family, co-workers, boss), they don’t often make time to take care of themselves. Instead, make your “you” time a priority, and don’t miss that exercise appointment.
Calories burned. If you count calories (and it’s really one of the most effective ways to lose weight), you know that the more you exercise, the more calories you burn — and the bigger your calorie deficit.
Having fun. Exercise should be fun. If it isn’t, try a different kind of activity that you enjoy. As long as you’re moving, it’s good for you.
How you’re going to look. Imagine a slimmer, fitter you. Now let that visualization drive you.
Magazines. It motivates me to read fitness magazines. Not sure why, but it works.
Blogs. I enjoy reading blogs about people who are into running, or losing weight. It can show the ups and downs they go through, and you can learn from their experiences.
Success stories. I find the success stories of others incredibly inspirational. If a fitness website has success stories, I’ll almost always read them.
Forums. Do the monthly challenge on the Zen Habits forums, or join another forum full of like-minded or like-goaled peopled. Check in daily. It really helps.
Rewards. If you exercise for a few days, give yourself a reward! A week? Another reward. Do it often in the beginning.
Fitting into new clothes. Wanna look good in a smaller size? Work out!
Being attractive. That’s always a good motivator, as I’m sure we all know. Edited to correct language.
Adrenaline rush. I get a rush when I exercise. Ride that rush to complete the workout.
Stress relief. Wound up after a long day at the office? Get out and work off that stress. It makes a world of difference.
Time for contemplation. I love, love the quiet time of exercise for thinking about things.
A workout partner. Best thing I’ve done.
An exercise class. Sign up for a class, perhaps with a friend, and you’ll be motivated to get there and work out.
A coach or trainer. Worth the money, just for the motivation.
An exercise log/graph. For some reason, writing it down is extremely important. Really. Do it for a week and you’ll see what I mean.
Your before picture. You often don’t realize how far you’ve come. Take pictures.
A 5K race or triathlon. Just sign up for one, and you’ll be motivated to train.
The dread of feeling “yuck” from not exercising. I hate how I feel after not exercising. So I remind myself of that when I feel tired.
Living long enough to see your grandkids … and play with them.
The scale. It’s not motivating to weigh yourself every day, as your weight fluctuates. But if you weigh yourself once a week, you’ll be motivated to have it keep going down, instead of up. Combine the scale with the measuring tape, and measure your waist.
Reaching a goal. Set a goal for weight, or your waist measurement, or a number of days to work out, or a number of miles to run this week. Setting and tracking a goal helps motivate you to complete that goal. Make it easily achievable.
Posting it on your blog. Tell people you’re going to lose weight or exercise daily, and report to them. You’ll make it happen.
Motivational quotes. I like to print them out.
Others commenting on how good you look. When someone notices the changes in your body, it feels good. And it makes you want to work out more.
An upcoming day at the beach, or a reunion. Nuff said.

Please feel free to add me!

Replies

• spagal60
    spagal60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    LaDawnnie wrote: »
    SUNDAY MOTIVATION!
    ( long... But a good read for some great motivation tips)
    How do you find motivation to exercise when you just don’t feel like getting off your butt? I ask myself this question every now and then, and I have the feeling I’m not the only one.
    There are a million ways to motivate yourself to exercise, actually, but these are a few that have worked for me. And trust me, I’ve had days when I’ve struggled with exercise.
    How you feel after a workout. I always feel great after a good workout. It’s a high. And I let that motivate me the next time: “You know how good you’re going to feel, LaDawnnie!”
    Time for you. While many people make time to take care of others (kids, spouse, other family, co-workers, boss), they don’t often make time to take care of themselves. Instead, make your “you” time a priority, and don’t miss that exercise appointment.
    Calories burned. If you count calories (and it’s really one of the most effective ways to lose weight), you know that the more you exercise, the more calories you burn — and the bigger your calorie deficit.
    Having fun. Exercise should be fun. If it isn’t, try a different kind of activity that you enjoy. As long as you’re moving, it’s good for you.
    How you’re going to look. Imagine a slimmer, fitter you. Now let that visualization drive you.
    Magazines. It motivates me to read fitness magazines. Not sure why, but it works.
    Blogs. I enjoy reading blogs about people who are into running, or losing weight. It can show the ups and downs they go through, and you can learn from their experiences.
    Success stories. I find the success stories of others incredibly inspirational. If a fitness website has success stories, I’ll almost always read them.
    Forums. Do the monthly challenge on the Zen Habits forums, or join another forum full of like-minded or like-goaled peopled. Check in daily. It really helps.
    Rewards. If you exercise for a few days, give yourself a reward! A week? Another reward. Do it often in the beginning.
    Fitting into new clothes. Wanna look good in a smaller size? Work out!
    Being attractive. That’s always a good motivator, as I’m sure we all know. Edited to correct language.
    Adrenaline rush. I get a rush when I exercise. Ride that rush to complete the workout.
    Stress relief. Wound up after a long day at the office? Get out and work off that stress. It makes a world of difference.
    Time for contemplation. I love, love the quiet time of exercise for thinking about things.
    A workout partner. Best thing I’ve done.
    An exercise class. Sign up for a class, perhaps with a friend, and you’ll be motivated to get there and work out.
    A coach or trainer. Worth the money, just for the motivation.
    An exercise log/graph. For some reason, writing it down is extremely important. Really. Do it for a week and you’ll see what I mean.
    Your before picture. You often don’t realize how far you’ve come. Take pictures.
    A 5K race or triathlon. Just sign up for one, and you’ll be motivated to train.
    The dread of feeling “yuck” from not exercising. I hate how I feel after not exercising. So I remind myself of that when I feel tired.
    Living long enough to see your grandkids … and play with them.
    The scale. It’s not motivating to weigh yourself every day, as your weight fluctuates. But if you weigh yourself once a week, you’ll be motivated to have it keep going down, instead of up. Combine the scale with the measuring tape, and measure your waist.
    Reaching a goal. Set a goal for weight, or your waist measurement, or a number of days to work out, or a number of miles to run this week. Setting and tracking a goal helps motivate you to complete that goal. Make it easily achievable.
    Posting it on your blog. Tell people you’re going to lose weight or exercise daily, and report to them. You’ll make it happen.
    Motivational quotes. I like to print them out.
    Others commenting on how good you look. When someone notices the changes in your body, it feels good. And it makes you want to work out more.
    An upcoming day at the beach, or a reunion. Nuff said.

Please feel free to add me!

• spagal60
    spagal60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I really love and do follow a lot of these tips/ I have a friend, my neighbor who is my gym buddy we actually work out at home together and we try to aim for 3 to 5 days a week. We make it happen by jotting it down on our calendars. We share fitness magazines and love to read up on all the inspiring stories. For me, I just got back from a 2 week vacation, it was not a good one in terms of exercising and I did not stay On program with healthy eating. However, I'm going to start back tomorrow and Yes, it is DAY one, all over again. Why? Because life gets in the way sometimes, I'm going to meet up with my gym buddy, we have scheduled in our first workout for the week ahead. This motivates me to journal all my food right here on this fitness site. Anyhow, I will aim to get FIT and FAB at my age. Mostly because I love myself enough to realize that taking care of me, will help me to take better care of my family and do my job a whole lot better. Tomorrow I face the scale only because I need a wake up call. I Know it fluctuates, I also know this will help me to have a visual as to how much I have gained and need to lose. Hmm next vacation, I need to prepare more and plan ahead. Lessons in life are learned ~
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    hi
    Just what I needed to hear....I've been in a slump the past 3 weeks...2 lb weight gain...I need to get my butt in gear and get some workouts going....You are so right, you do feel better after doing something physical. I noticed lately that I feel sleepy and blah....I know it's from sitting around, watching too much tv(again)...so, instead of falling into this again, i'm ready to get going again.....I still have a way to go and I definitely don't want to end up back on insulin again. I keep remembering how proud of myself, I was when my doctor took me off of it. I don'twant all the health issues that go along with diabetes etc....So, your post was at the right time for me....thank you for sharing....
  • Tintin13
    Tintin13 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • LaDawnnie
    Options
    It's ok, I worked out hard and lost weight before I went on vacation in March but when I went I fell off and I'm just now getting back on! We got this! Life will always find a way to intervene but we must overcome!
    spagal60 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, I really love and do follow a lot of these tips/ I have a friend, my neighbor who is my gym buddy we actually work out at home together and we try to aim for 3 to 5 days a week. We make it happen by jotting it down on our calendars. We share fitness magazines and love to read up on all the inspiring stories. For me, I just got back from a 2 week vacation, it was not a good one in terms of exercising and I did not stay On program with healthy eating. However, I'm going to start back tomorrow and Yes, it is DAY one, all over again. Why? Because life gets in the way sometimes, I'm going to meet up with my gym buddy, we have scheduled in our first workout for the week ahead. This motivates me to journal all my food right here on this fitness site. Anyhow, I will aim to get FIT and FAB at my age. Mostly because I love myself enough to realize that taking care of me, will help me to take better care of my family and do my job a whole lot better. Tomorrow I face the scale only because I need a wake up call. I Know it fluctuates, I also know this will help me to have a visual as to how much I have gained and need to lose. Hmm next vacation, I need to prepare more and plan ahead. Lessons in life are learned ~

• LaDawnnie
    Options
    Aww your welcome! And ur right just think of how great u felt after that first accomplishment and how great you will feel overal in the end! U got this! Stay focused and when u need motivation I'm here!!!
    hi
    Just what I needed to hear....I've been in a slump the past 3 weeks...2 lb weight gain...I need to get my butt in gear and get some workouts going....You are so right, you do feel better after doing something physical. I noticed lately that I feel sleepy and blah....I know it's from sitting around, watching too much tv(again)...so, instead of falling into this again, i'm ready to get going again.....I still have a way to go and I definitely don't want to end up back on insulin again. I keep remembering how proud of myself, I was when my doctor took me off of it. I don'twant all the health issues that go along with diabetes etc....So, your post was at the right time for me....thank you for sharing....

• Miss_TeaPot
    Miss_TeaPot Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I've been at this for a long time, I lack a lot of motivation lol. Exercise was always my downfall. I would always tell myself "Oh you'll feel great afterward" or "Imagine how great you will look in a few months" and it would somewhat work. I have FINALLY found something I actually look forward to doing and its swimming lol. I went 6 times last week and I feel very good about it. I am hoping it sticks!
  • LaDawnnie
    Options
    I love swimming as well! When I worked at the ymca I would do the gym 4 days and then swim laps every Friday! Glad you found your clutch!!! Keep up the great work!
    Great tips! I've been at this for a long time, I lack a lot of motivation lol. Exercise was always my downfall. I would always tell myself "Oh you'll feel great afterward" or "Imagine how great you will look in a few months" and it would somewhat work. I have FINALLY found something I actually look forward to doing and its swimming lol. I went 6 times last week and I feel very good about it. I am hoping it sticks!