Help! I'm addicted! !

Options
I am addicted to checking my weight. I'll check it everyday! I know that's not good to do, but I can't Help it! I ultimately wanna check my weight every WEEK, not every DAY! Any advice??

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Just don't do it. Throw your scale away.

I get on the scale every day and it doesn't bother me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Set a specific day to weigh in, and don't get on the scale the other six days. Or continue to weigh every day, but track the trends so you aren't bothered by fluctuations.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Or just do it. I check my weight everyday with the expectation that it will go up and down by up to a couple of pounds in a day. As long as you know that weight loss is not a linear process, it is interesting to watch the ups and downs and correlate that to my foods.

The line graph that MFP makes is quite interesting to me.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself every day, as long as you don't let your body's normal weight fluctuations (due to hormones, water weight, etc.) freak you out.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    -Shrug- I check my scale every day. But then again, my weight fluctuates strangely.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I check every day, it's fun. Sometimes multiple times a day bc the fluctuations blow my mind. If you can't handle it-get rid of the scale
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wrap the scale in duct tape.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I log evrey ay, but I have "happy scale " app and the iPhone healthw1xpmhw68vzp.png
    la0izcib6afe.png
    App which show weight graphs. as the graph keeps going down long term you will be fine.
    001.PNG 108.5K
    002.PNG 107.9K
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to checking my weight. I'll check it everyday! I know that's not good to do, but I can't Help it! I ultimately wanna check my weight every WEEK, not every DAY! Any advice??

What's wrong with weighing in every day? I do it, so I find out sooner rather than later if I'm jacking up my progress.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day...it helps me understand my body's daily fluctuations. But I track my progress by looking at my weekly progress.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every day. I only think it's a problem if you take the number too seriously and don't understand there are going to be weird fluctuations.

For me weighing every day was part of getting over that, so I don't develop an aversion to weighing myself again, which was one way I allowed myself to let my weight get so out of control before.

But what I do is only count one day per week as an "official" weight. If it's up or down vs. most other days I'll know it, but it's still the one that counts, and that means I occasionally skip other days. Maybe something like that would help you move toward one day a week if you think that would be better for you.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day is not good or bad.

It's what you do with the information that is important.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to addiction threads. This one breaks new ground.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like weighing myself every day, I just keep in mind that it might go up and down a few pounds every day and don't get too excited about a 1 pound loss. By tracking it every day I've found I fluctuate 6 pounds per month, and usually weight less on my period! I was pretty surprised about that. I think it also helps because if you keep fluctuation in mind you're less likely to get discouraged if you happen to notice you gained a pound on the day you weigh in or be too lenient if you happen to have lost a couple pounds.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've thought about trying to go a week without weighing as an experiment. Right now I weigh every day, sometimes more than once a day. I also feel like it holds me more accountable. I never want to get back to that spot where I am afraid of the damage I've done and I don't want to step on the scale bc I'm afraid of what it's going to say. I love that now I'm never really surprised by what it says. However, I was trying to figure out how to keep myself from weighing if I do decide to experiment for a week. And all I could think of was maybe putting it in the trunk of my car. Sounds silly, I know, but if it's in this house I'm probably going to use it.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If it's bothering you, put the scales away and then get them out on a set weighing day.

I go through phases on weighing myself daily. I don't freak out at the fluctuations and it helps me keep my head in the game. Your mileage may vary. :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. But I know I'm going to have fluctuations
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You can weigh yourself every hour if you want, but your weight, if you workout, will naturally fluctuate up to 4-5% at any given time, so what are you actually seeing in one given data point is up for debate.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My weight loss clinic advises not to weigh more than once a week. Weighing every day or even more than that can become its own obsession, not always healthy. All I found out when I weighed daily is that I couldn't count on the number.

Besides, my mood is negatively correlated to the weight fluctuations. I'd rather count calories and activities, measures more directly under my control.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Throw away your scale and only use the one at your local gym. It's likely more accurate and while you're there you can hop on a bike or treadmill.