Hypothyroidism and losing weight

Options
I am 47 and was diagnosed last fall with Hypothyroidism. Any suggestions to boost metabolism? I am taking a hormone pill everyday, not sure it is actually the correct dosage. I will be going back to the doctor soon, so he can check my levels.

Replies

• christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I struggle with too-- I had most of my thyroid removed ten years ago and gained 60 pounds over three years. The slowed metabolism sucks. Thyroid levels changes are slow to change in Lab work but going every six months to get your thyroid levels tested is essential to your self-care as your needs can change over time. I really feel it if I forget to my thryoid med. I am assuming that you already take your thyroid medication with just water (no other medications or supplements either as it will affect absorption) and don't eat for an hour after you take it and/or four hours before you take it. I religiously set a timer for this. I am super careful about my soy intake and limit cruciferous vegetables, particularly raw kale (kale and cabbage are not so much of a problem cooked.) Two things unexpected that have helped with my metabolism are drinking komucha daily (love those probiotics! Synergy is my favorite brand) and getting my sleep apnea diagnosed and treated. None of these are quick fixes, but over time they have had a positive impact on my metabolism, fatigue, dry skin, hair loss, etc. Topically, coconut oil (cooking grade bought in the grocery store) has helped a lot with the "alligator" skin and I massage it into my hair and scalp before I shampoo. Good luck and feel free to friend me.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and was diagnosed last fall with Hypothyroidism. Any suggestions to boost metabolism?

I'm 47 and have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • hollybearheuer
    hollybearheuer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm 33. I was diagnosed with Hashi's at age 11, so I've been living with this bum thyroid for a while now.

Here is what works for me:

1) Take your meds correctly. It is really important to take it at least an hour before eating or 2-3 hours after eating.
    2) Go for regular bloodwork and INSIST on having not only your TSH monitored, but your T3, free T4, and also ask for them to check for antibodies at least once.
    3) Look for signs that your medication might need adjusted. You'll get in tune with your symptoms after some time. Mine are: dry skin, losing hair, extreme fatigue, depression, and joint pain.
    4) Log every food and know that your metabolism works differently.
    5) See an endocrinologist. Family doctors are well-meaning but are woefully behind when it comes to thyroid problems.
    6) Think about how much sugar you eat. This isn't true for everyone, but even before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I found that my body ran much more efficiently when I really watched those carbs. YMMV.

Best wishes, and friend me if you would like!

I'm currently sort of between doses myself. When I was diagnosed I started with 25 mcg of Levothyroxine and I took that dose for over a decade. Over the past 5 years I've jumped up to 150 mcg. My TSH in January was 28 (YIKES!!!) so my dose was raised to 125 mcg (previously on 112). Lab work taken in June showed that my TSH was still high at 13.6, so we bumped up to to 150 mcg and I have another test next month. Crossing my fingers that the 150 mcg will do the trick!!!