ANYONE INTERESTED?!? Looking for answers!

Options

Replies

• themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How about vlogging instead of a book. Easy to watch, quick.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a blog would be a great starting point for you. Your reasons for wanting to write and share information are admirable.

You did mention wanting to write about a simplified weight loss approach for people who (quote) have no time & no desire. That's a problem, because if there's no desire to lose weight, there goes your audience!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Ten minute meals: An untoasted sandwich. A bowl of cereal. Any pre-packaged protein, breakfast, diet, or other bar. Any pre-packaged microwavable dish. A handful of nuts. Yogurt, jello, pudding, or fruit cups. I could go on and on, but I won't.

Cookbooks rarely sell anymore because it's too easy to get recipes from the internet. I LOVE cookbooks, and can buy much better cookbooks than 20 years ago at 1/10 the price despite inflation. So you want to write a cookbook? Do it, but a blog would probably be better read. You won't make money with either unless your blog explodes and you get advertising dollars rolling in. Which has actually happened to a couple of people I know! Not for cookbooks, but other talents.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can see a good book out of this. I have a little book called "the ten minute gardener", showing the beginner gardener the simple tips to put together a low maintenance garden.

Enough people come on here asking how to put together a simple meal, trying to figure out what is a reasonable portion.

A local cook put together an entire series of "Company's Coming" cookbooks deliberately laid out with easy to find ingredients. Lots of people don't have a basic set of skills or core recipes.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with this is healthy food that tastes good, that's not laden with salt takes more than 10 mins to prepare. Hell, my egg white sandwich on whole grain this am took me 15 from start to finish. At the end of the day you can have healthy food that tastes good, or you can have convenience. You really can't have both without a little prep.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Include simple prep like roasting your own chicken, and creative use of leftovers. Not every meal has to be made from scratch on the day.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    CICO! end of book.

That books been out for 50 yrs now, and we keep having more and more obese people....

The body isn't a simple gasoline engine; the type of fuel matters as does CICO.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about writing a book on how to lose weight even if you have no money and no time.

A lot of it would be based on 10 minute meals, and doing things to achieve results in the easiest possible way. The people I had in mind were people who are overweight, work long hours at their jobs, and don't earn a lot of money. They barely have time to shower and their not interesting in having a pile of dishes in their sink or a ton of prep work to do.

They simply don't have the ENERGY to even DEAL with all the learning and everything it takes to lose weight. They need something that can accommodate for their utter lack of money, time, and energy.

My question is, is anyone even interested in this sort of book?

The books I see topping the charts over at amazon are things like Whole30 and Paleo. And while I definitely think they're great health-wise, that's just too much work for a lot of people, right? I feel like healthy eating and lifestyle is a spectrum, and I want to fill the gap between Fast Food - Whole Foods. Is this something people want? I'm DYING to know what anyone's thoughts are!

Thanks so much,

Rachael

People who barely have time to shower really don't have time to read a book and probably wouldn't. Someone else suggested a blog and I think that would be a better way to reach your target audience.
    I think quick, easy, inexpensive recipes are fine but you should emphasize that people should choose appropriate portion sizes for their calorie needs no matter what they eat. No excuses for not doing that.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I also think blog would be a better idea. And I'm also wondering why everyone I'd so hung up on the 10 minute part. I very rarely spend over 10 minutes preparing my meals. Cooking chicken, shrimp, salmon, or steak all take less that 10 min on a BBQ. You can steam any vegetable I can think of in less than ten min. Pasta = 10 min. Microwave baby potatoes= 5 min. Eggs < 5 min. There are a million dishes you can cook in a crock pot while you're at work with less then 10 min prep. What are you guys cooking that is taking so long? I think you should get rid of the time factor and instead focus on the quantity of calories in a particular meal. <400 calorie cookbook. That might sell.
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think this would have been a good idea 10 years ago before the Internet and social media boom.

I typed in 10 minute meals into google and there was (without exaggerating) 1 000 000 links.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Google
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I can find a recipe for anything I want with a quick google search.

A meal that is able to be cooked in 10 minutes is probably simple enough that I wouldn't need a recipe anyway.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    CICO! end of book.

That books been out for 50 yrs now, and we keep having more and more obese people....

Nope. Weight loss boils down to CICO. There are nutritional requirements for protein and fat for a healthy diet, but there is no need to focus on the type of fuel to lose weight.

And there are more and more obese people not because CICO doesn't work, but because people are unable to manage it. Human beings suck at it.

If anything, the knowledge of CICO has been there for years BUT it's people who keep trying to focus on "types" of fuels, when to eat, how to eat, and so on...that complicate things so much that the basic knowledge gets buried.

People then get frustrated because the focus is on these fads, myths, misconceptions and such and because they can't be so rigid as these "methods" require..they quit.

Although the basics of all diets is CICO, the acknowledgment is avoided because then businesses would lose out on future plans, products, etc.

And to Zaxx - you are totally leaving out the CO part of the equation. It's not just that food (whether more nutritious than other types) is more readily available, but people are a hell of a lot more sedentary now then they were 50 years ago. In my opinion, that is a far more contributing factor to obesity.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha and I DEFINITELY agree with never shopping hungry!

i ALWAYS shop hungry; otherwise i come home and say "What did i buy???"

• zaxx1953
    Options
    CICO! end of book.

Nope. Weight loss boils down to CICO. There are nutritional requirements for protein and fat for a healthy diet, but there is no need to focus on the type of fuel to lose weight.

And there are more and more obese people not because CICO doesn't work, but because people are unable to manage it. Human beings suck at it.

Except 40 yrs ago there was virtually no childhood obesity.

So what happened to make people suddenly suck?

I have a simple question for everyone:

Does insulin affect appetite.

Y or N?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    CICO! end of book.

Y or N?

Wait, I thought I saw this exact post a second ago...
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    CICO! end of book.

Y or N?

Is that a Y or a N?

Or alternatively do you not know.

All 3 answers are fine....just answer.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

@zaxx1953 is on a mission to combat the evil carb empire.

He also doesn't seem willing to answer two very simple questions people have asked him again and again:

1) do people move less today than they did 50 years ago?

2) are high calorie foods more readily available for consumption than they were 50 years ago?

(#2: includes BOTH high FAT and high CARB foods and refers to ubiquitous access to fast food, as well as ready to heat/ready to eat meals, and, not the least, all you can eat restaurants. I can DRIVE out of my drive-way and within a few minutes SIT down to a 4000-5000 Cal meal for less than $10 at lunchtime and less than $15 at dinner-time.)

I don't see carbs having much to do with this. In fact the deep fryer oils add way more calories than the carbs do in many of these situations.