New to MFP- Eating too few calories???

Options
Hi this is my 1st week on here and so far im finding it really helpful!
Most days though ive not eaten all of my calories allocated though... Ive had between 50-200 cals left over at the end of each day. Will this help or hinder my weight loss? Im allocated 1,200 per day.
Also when I do exercise it gives me calories that ive just burned off ?!? Do you eat the extra calories?? Will it hinder my loss if I dont? It doesnt seem to make any sense to eat when ive just spent 45 minutes working the calories off?
Please can somebody advice...
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    MFP already factors in a deficit so eat back your exercise calories! If you don't net 1200 calories you won't lose because your body will hang onto everything thinking it's in starvation.
    I'm kind of in a rush but I saw this and thought I'd help. Long story short. Eat all 1200 calories and try to eat back all your exercise calories. Drink all your water. And welcome to MFP :)
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    MFP has set you up at 1200 a day which is already a deficit...depending on your BMR it can vary how much of a deficit that is. For instance; generally just by doing my normal daily thing I burn 1600 so if i exercise and burn more than usual by exercising I should eat a little more to fuel my body...or I may start feeling tired and not have enough to keep me feeling good. There are tons of theories and opinions on the subject but you'll notice that A LOT of people who hit the plateau around their goal weight but couldn't quite get there started eating their exercise calories and got to their goal. Personally I think it would be really hard for anyone to eat properly for vitamins and nutrients anywhere under 1200 cals and if you up your exercise it only makes sense that you need more fuel
  • dendeeners
    dendeeners Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think people focus too much on counting calories. While it does help, what's more important is what you do eat. There's nothing wrong with gaining back the calories so long as it's good calories. For example, gaining 100 calories from baked salmon versus 100 calories fried chicken. Continue eating healthy while exercising and you should be fine. Good luck!
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Firstly I was in the same situation with under eating - I didnt realise until I came on here but the same as you, between 50 and 200. But I have found little things make a big difference. For example I now have two poached eggs with my toast at lunch which adds an extra 75 calories, fruit in my cereal in the morning adds 50-100, a milk shake up to 200 calories etc. Little things really can make a big difference.

As far as eating back your extra calories fom exercising, that seems to be down to personal choice. I don't eat them back, have the same view as you "whats the point in eating them if i have just worked out? thats just exercising to eat more" but for other people eating them back is a good thing. Having been for a long walk and done a 45 min jog today, I have worked off 735 calories leaving my net at 470 which sounds crazy but it seems to be working for me!!

That's not to say that I don't sometimes pinch a few of those extra calories back - really enjoyed 3 little choc chip cookies today as a treat for working hard hehe :-)