Cant lose because of the weekend.

Options
I always do so well during the week and slowly lose weight but then it comes to the weekend and I have a couple bad moods putting me back to where I was the previous Monday! What can I do?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My bad moods don't cause weight gain.

You have to be more disciplined with your self. Tell yourself you can only have it if it fits in with your weekly calorie limit.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Start your logging week on Friday.

You know then what your defecit needs to be for the rest of the week.

Work on a weekly defecit instead of a daily one. Make sure you meet you goal for the week.
  • TimsBodyFitness
    TimsBodyFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would say the best thing to do is to start your diet on a Thursday and get through the weekend. If you fail prepare for the following Thursday and once you get through the weekend you should sail through the week and hopefully the next weekend. That way should make it easier but make sure you have plenty of food in find something you like that takes the edge of cravings. So for me I love strawberries and they take that sweet craving away. If you are low on protein this can cause hunger. By increasing protein it can reduce hunger but I would have to see your food diary to comment. I would always ask my Clients to write everything down and then I can ask then slowly we can change things. Hope that help.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your weekend routine, but for me, weekends are the only two days where I do not have to get up early to got to work so I use my lie in as an opportunity to skip breakfast and have my first meal at lunch time, which gives me more calories for dinner.

That way I can have much bigger more indulgent dinners without breaking my calories. I have gone over calories only 3 times in the last 4 months (one of them was this past Saturday). The issue is not going over - I don't beat myself up for that - but the strategies that you have in place for making up for it or planning for it.

Those days have not impacted my weight loss as I eat at a small extra deficit for the following week.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So don't lose

But if you want to lose weight you are going to have to take responsibility for every food you eat and stop allowing yourself to fail

Weight loss should only be judged over 6-8 weeks not day to day or even weekly because of how easy it is for water weight to fluctuate

Basically it's your choice ...commit
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    For exactly this reason, I calorie cycle. Instead of eating 1500 a day, I eat 1200 on week days and 2000 or so on weekends. I also have Friday as my official weighing day, so I have the whole week to lose the inevitable water weight gain.

but really, as Rabbit says - it's up to you. If you want this, you have to want it enough to put your foot down and stick to something resembling a plan on weekends.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem; I would do really well during the week when I had a routine, and then ruin it all at the weekend and be right back where I started.

Unfortunately, there is no miracle cure, no magic potion that will change your mind set; you have to do it yourself. Simply, you just need to be disciplined, but there are a few things which I found helped me. Pre-plan your weekend meals and snacks and tell yourself you will stick to it. Find things to do to stop you from boredom eating, such as going out for a walk, gardening, cleaning the house, anything. Calorie cycling is also a good idea as @Alatariel75 said; I used that technique, but luckily now I have learnt the discipline needed to treat the weekend like any other weekday.

It is difficult, but you just got to grit your teeth and power through it! Good luck, and feel free to get in touch if you need any support as I truly do know what a horrible and demotivating cycle it can be.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    mbanks123 wrote: »
    I always do so well during the week and slowly lose weight but then it comes to the weekend and I have a couple bad moods putting me back to where I was the previous Monday! What can I do?

Stop it.

ALL%20THE%20EXCUSES_zpsa3to3jho.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Succinct @Orphia
    I like it :bigsmile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options

Replace your bad moods with ... exercise! Get out into nature and do a hike or bicycle ride. "They" say getting out into nature and being active improves the mood. Plus being active means you can eat more.

I look forward to weekends because I can have something special to eat (but not going overboard with it) ... because I spent a couple hours, or more, on the bicycle or hiking up a mountain or something.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the weekend doesn't stop your weight loss, eating too much does.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you cant get a grasp on the moods at least keep things around that u can munch on that isnt going to completely derail your days. Carrots, popcorn, celery, pretzels. Crunchy foods are the best for me when Im feeling stressed. That way It takes a long time to chew and Im not shoveling my face full of high calorie foods.
    Just a thought.

Or you could put on some good kusic and dance or walk/run. Let all that bad feeling out theough exercise.
    Good luck. U can do this.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Activity over the weekend can really make a huge difference. Chores and lots of walking.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For exactly this reason, I calorie cycle. Instead of eating 1500 a day, I eat 1200 on week days and 2000 or so on weekends. I also have Friday as my official weighing day, so I have the whole week to lose the inevitable water weight gain.

but really, as Rabbit says - it's up to you. If you want this, you have to want it enough to put your foot down and stick to something resembling a plan on weekends.

Oooh i like this idea, i'm terrible for over indulging at the weekend and this would take the pressure off
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    What can I do?
    Take responsibility for your choices. Or not.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your weekends. Make the weekend fit into your weight loss goals.
    Work things out so that you eat the same amount of food as you do during the week.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I bank some extra calories for the weekend by creating additional deficits through the week. I also schedule plenty of activity (yoga, long walks with my DH etc) - I enjoy it and it keeps me within my calories.
  • mbanks123
    mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone :) you've been really helpful! I meant to write bad meals, not bad moods! I'm a very cheery person.. Honest :)

I know it's an excuse and I should just commit. I've normally got a lot of will power but weekends are so difficult because of nights out, hangover meals and friends wanting to meet up for dinner.

I'm determined not to give in this weekend and i definitely think I will start looking at my calories for the week rather than each day. Starting my week on a Thursday/Friday is also a brilliant idea.

Thanks again everyone. So lovely how supporting you all are! Feel free to add me as well :)
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I take a weekly average.

Usually do a couple of fast days in the week and not eat back exercise to level out the weekend. It works out over the 7 days.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone :) you've been really helpful! I meant to write bad meals, not bad moods! I'm a very cheery person.. Honest :)

I know it's an excuse and I should just commit. I've normally got a lot of will power but weekends are so difficult because of nights out, hangover meals and friends wanting to meet up for dinner.

I'm determined not to give in this weekend and i definitely think I will start looking at my calories for the week rather than each day. Starting my week on a Thursday/Friday is also a brilliant idea.

Thanks again everyone. So lovely how supporting you all are! Feel free to add me as well :)

I think of it this way ... if I want to eat something higher in calories, I've got to work for it first.

So on Saturday, my husband and I cycled 42 km up some decent hills in back of our place. When we came home, we had homemade tacos.

On Sunday, my husband and I cycled 27 km. When we came home, we had pizza.

This method has worked well for me so far. :)

And I prelog. On Friday, I enter the calories for the tacos and pizza so that I know how much work I have to do to afford them.