Is spin class every day a bad idea?

Options
I love cycling, and I love it so much that I've purchased a rather expensive unlimited pass at a local cycling studio not too far from my home. They offer small, high intensity classes once a day on RealRyder bikes. I love going every day, but is this unhealthy in any way as far as overly exerting my muscles? I'm in pain, but it's definitely not awful...just the kind of ache you get when you're working your muscles. I'm averaging 6 classes or so a week and trying to get in shape for my trip to Vegas in exactly two months. Thoughts?

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    best advice anyone can give is : listen to your body. Your body will tell you if it's too much for you to handle. There's a difference between a good burn, and pain. Make sure that you're not pushing your body past it's limits if it's screaming at you to stop, but if you feel great and you're able, by all means, spin away! :)
  • justkelley
    justkelley Posts: 53
    Options
    I also take a spin class which I absolutely love. I spoke to the instructor about how many classes is too many and she thought that more than 3-4 a week was a little much for a person's body. I tend to go 3 times a week and i do strength training on the days I don't cycle. That works well for me. It gives my body enough time to recuperate. I would talk to your instructor and see what he/she thinks is best for you.
  • jljennbunny
    jljennbunny Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree.....listen to your body. Only you know when it has had enough.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I have found that my body gets used to it and so it becomes less challenging. I also tend to "burn out" on exercise if I do the same thing every day.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I do Spin Class 3-4 days out the week..I also pretty much workout everyday..May miss here and there but I guess its depends on your other options for Cardio... Of course no one should be working out in pain..Your body will shutdown if its to much and that you don't want..
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Listen to your body, I was exercising daily...circuit training, 5K and Hill Climbing. A week ago I pulled the groin muscle, it has me down and I can't do much of anything for a while.... I didn't listen to my body, blew off that ache I had in that area and kept going hard. Not worth it!!

Give your body rest in between workouts... maybe workout 3 days and take a day off.

Feel better!!
  • fosterks
    fosterks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do 3-4 a week, I have just completed five consecutive days, but due to my location that is a complete rarity. I do every other day, except Friday and Saturday in a row. It's by far my favourite class
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I love spinning but the class is only offered 1x a week for us working folks. So.... I decided to go at it myself yesterday and today my elbow is sore and NO, it's not the lack of instruction or any movement I did in particular. My teacher has also been in treatment for the past month for her elbows so she no longer goes up and down but tells us when so listen to your body.
  • HappyFeat
    HappyFeat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Spin class is great, but Cross training a few days a week is crucial. Being female, it's so important to get some weight bearing exercise to stimulate bone growth and offset osteoporosis (regardless of age!) this includes running, weight lifting, plyometrics, yoga, etc. Any exercise that includes impact will be a very useful addition to your already impressive workout regimen.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I love spin classes I used to go 4 days a week it was awesome. I don't think its bad to do it 6 days a week. It isn't too strenuous and cardio is okay to do everyday now lifting weights every day working the same muscle isn't a good idea. If your enjoying it then go for it.
  • JWALL101
    JWALL101 Posts: 60
    Options
    I would at least give your self 2 days a week off. Try to make it 2 days in a row and that should help with the soreness. But I love spin class, it is hard to get that kind of intensity going by yourself. If you are sore you need to up your post workout protein that will also help. But keep spinning! I will.
  • Katy010305
    Options
    I spin every day and have done so for months...only missing a day here or there because of other responsibilities. I have lost over 50 pounds in 7 months! :)