Research Project Questions

Options
I am working on a research project and I need your input if you are willing to give it.
Other than MFP, what fitness apps/websites/devices do you use? Do you link your apps and devices together so that they share information automatically? Do you use one app as your primary method of tracking information, or do you regularly use more than one app to track various goals?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am working on a research project and I need your input if you are willing to give it.
    Other than MFP, what fitness apps/websites/devices do you use? Do you link your apps and devices together so that they share information automatically? Do you use one app as your primary method of tracking information, or do you regularly use more than one app to track various goals?

- Simple Workout Log on Android (for logging resistance workouts, can also capture basic information for cardiovascular stuff). I have a few quibbles, but it's pretty good, lives up to its name. I hate really rigid apps, this one lets you write your own stuff, like a notepad, and it lives up to its name re usability. (Would like, however, to include my own notes for cues and links to YouTube vids (bc I like choosing them) **within the exercise description itself** and not in my daily workout logs. In case anyone related to Simple is listening.) For now, I flip between that and bookmarks for vids when I need them. Recently started using Pinterest , but I'm not seeing the value added beyond regular bookmarks other than the fact it's usable across devices.
    - no, I don't link stuff. My privacy levels are at the max, I keep most things local and log out when I'm done, no pics. I especially do NOT want to link to my actual social networks. I held off joining MFP for ages in the first place, bc their requirements for permissions for Android are outrageous. Their database is the most comprehensive among logging apps, though. They have stuff from my country, for instance.
    - just this and Simple. I have a spreadsheet on my laptop for certain metrics, but never update it.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options

I use Run The Map app on my windows phone. (Hate the phone), love the app. I can toggle between multiple forms...running, hiking, biking etc. It tracks and stores the info that's important to me. It is my primary tracking tool.

I do not link anything. I prefer to have the control. I detest the idea that an app can insert/input information when and where I may not want it.

To be sure the information feedback I'm receiving is accurate from Run The Map app, I regularly double-check the data from another source. i.e., I'll check the data using Runner's world calculators, or bicycle.com etc.

I also use an Excel spreadsheet to track certain things. It allows me to see when I'm over-training or neglecting my exercises in other areas. Ex. I LOVE riding my bike. I could get on it and not come back for days. I don't love running. But it's part of my overall training regimen. I'm about to add in swimming. And I simply forget to make sure I have rest days. Those are the days I walk, because NOT exercising somehow is no longer a viable option. That's where the Excel spreadsheet is necessary.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    I use:

MFP to enter food and exercise time.
    Excel spreadsheet to enter some information about my cycling mainly, but more recently my walking.
    Bikejournal to enter information about my cycling.
    Google maps to create route options, check elevation, etc.

My main one is my Excel spreadsheet. It has everything I want, and if I want to change something, I can do that.

They do not link, nor do I want them to.
    I also do not want them linking into anything else.

And ... shock, horror ... I don't own a mobile phone, so phone apps are useless to me. :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    (Sorry - I also use Simple for PT stuff)

I think you might have some outliers in this thread :) Tons of people link everything without a thought, probably most. I bet doing some kind of content analysis of existing threads would give you a better picture than those of us with spreadsheets might
  • jillebeenz
    jillebeenz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit to track steps and map my run to track runs/walks outdoors. Both link to my fitness pal so I can use this one diary for all food and fitness. Any gym workouts I just post in the diary here and Fitbit adjusts steps based on the time of the workout. I know a lot of other people who do the same... Off hand I can think of 5 friends that use them that way.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Other than MFP, what fitness apps/websites/devices do you use? Fitbit, Fitness Buddy (for tracking lifting) and Withings - I read various lifting websites too

Do you link your apps and devices together so that they share information automatically? Fitbit and MFP are linked, Withings and MFP are linked.

Do you use one app as your primary method of tracking information, or do you regularly use more than one app to track various goals? MFP is my primary as it's the food and exercise calories that are most important for me. I regularly use Fitness Buddy to track my lifts as it logs the amount I'm lifting and gives me a timeline as well as having workouts to follow or you can make your own.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Other than MFP, what fitness apps/websites/devices do you use?

Garmin Connect - Garmin Forerunner 320XT and VivoSmart
    Strava
    Endomondo
    Runkeeper
    Do you link your apps and devices together so that they share information automatically? Do you use one app as your primary method of tracking information, or do you regularly use more than one app to track various goals?

Primary data is collected through GC and then propagated out to MFP, Strava and Endomondo, I then manually upload the GPX to Runkeeper.

Garmin - Primary collection method
    Strava - Analytics, shoe tracking and competitive performance
    Endomondo - I use the training plans in Endomondo to improve performance
    Runkeeper - Legacy app with some social connections and legacy shoe tracking. I may cease use when the shoes that aren't fully accounted for elsewhere are retired.

• therealpatrick
    therealpatrick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great feedback everyone. I appreciate your sharing this Information with me.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 110 watch to gather all GPS-type data for runs/walks/rides/swims/other (canoeing, for example), and then upload that data into Strava. Since my watch is run-specific, I have to manually change the activity in Strava (easily done). I also manually enter non-GPS activities (weight training) into Strava and use the program to track mileage on my shoes and bike.

I do not track actual calories burned, so I enter each activity into MFP manually with a burn of "1 calorie." I do this so I can monitor weight/diet trends as they relate to my physical training. I do not link Strava with MFP.

I use an iPhone app called "Lifter" to track weights/sets/reps.

I used to use RunKeeper when I was strictly running. Strava fits my needs better now that I am a triathlete.