How much does it help quitting caffeine

Options
freak4iron
freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
I'm an extremely heavy coffee drinker 1-2 pots a day all day, up until with in an hour of going to bed. I was curious about how much benefit I'll get out of switching to decaf or just cutting it out all together.

Specifically, will I see any improvement In things like muscle recovery and endurance?

Replies

• initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just started a little coffee habit (a cup gets me totally revved. Haha). Trying not to become dependent, but I've found it definitely helps my jogging and general energy (so far). Not sure if you're talking about weight training or what, but I've only felt improvement in my cardio routine with coffee.
  • freak4iron
    Options
    I'm actually asking what kind of benefits you would see from quitting coffee. I know it has some short term benefits, like energy, but I feel like drinking as much as I do has gotta be hindering my potential.

I also feel like it's directly attributed to those "side stiches" I get while running.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I gave up caffeine almost a year ago and I workout for an hour six days a week without it. I feel like you can feel the good you're doing for your body without it. Like, when I feel the workout high, I know 100% that's my body, not coffee. I don't get 'side stitches' either.

However, I wasn't working out when I dropped caffeine so I don't know exactly if it helps or hinders. Maybe try reducing it and see what happens.
  • asmithling
    asmithling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am also a coffee drinker and there are tons of benefits to quitting! But as far as weight loss goes you are drinking "empty calories" unless you drink your coffee black....which can be pretty brutal when your trying to shed pounds....I mean if your drinking it occasionally it would be OK but for us everyday drinkers it does add up, unfortunately: / it doesn't stop me though...I decided I would have one cup a day and no more pop...so I guess you just have to pick and choose, maybe swap that cup out for something else: ) as far as side stitches go I have to clue.....I hate running lol

Hope this was more of what you we're looking for, have a good one!
  • freak4iron
    Options
    asmithling wrote: »
    I am also a coffee drinker and there are tons of benefits to quitting! But as far as weight loss goes you are drinking "empty calories" unless you drink your coffee black....which can be pretty brutal when your trying to shed pounds....I mean if your drinking it occasionally it would be OK but for us everyday drinkers it does add up, unfortunately: / it doesn't stop me though...I decided I would have one cup a day and no more pop...so I guess you just have to pick and choose, maybe swap that cup out for something else: ) as far as side stitches go I have to clue.....I hate running lol

Hope this was more of what you we're looking for, have a good one!

Thanks, I bought a bag of decaf yesterday and I'm having my first cup as we speak..: not bad at all either.

I've got an idea for you if your having a tough time due to the empty cals in the creamer and sugar. Most of the coffee I drank was in the form of coffee and whey protein shakes. It's freaking delicious (hands down the best way to whey)!

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    *looks at half full coffee pot* I wish I could quit you! *sips from coffee mug*

Jokes aside, I DID cut out coffee for a good long while not too far back and the MAJOR benefit I got from it was I slept better at night.

Now, I work nights so coffee is essential for my well being and that of others(RAWR!). But I do cut all caffeine consumption off at about 4 AM so that I can get to bed at a decent hour (between 9-10 AM).

I drink it black or with two tablespoons of Swiss Miss cocoa powder and 1/4 cup almond milk to keep calories down. I also only have 2 cups now as opposed to a whole pot and a half by myself.

Initially the 'energy' decrease didn't seem worth it, but I started taking a multivitamin and drinking more water and that has helped immensely. Cutting back has been a benefit to me, as I get the benefits of sleeping better from less caffeine and I also still can have the 'pick me up' when I require it.

I was raised in Seattle, so I can't give up coffee completely for very long.

Hope this helps.
  • freak4iron
    Options
    I gave up caffeine almost a year ago and I workout for an hour six days a week without it. I feel like you can feel the good you're doing for your body without it. Like, when I feel the workout high, I know 100% that's my body, not coffee. I don't get 'side stitches' either.

However, I wasn't working out when I dropped caffeine so I don't know exactly if it helps or hinders. Maybe try reducing it and see what happens.

I like what you said about feeling the workout high and knowing It was your 100% you not anything you took in! Bet that feels awesome!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I am not a coffee drinker, however i do use caffeine when I need soemthing to perk me up. The daily recommended limit is 400mg per day. the more you use it the more you adjust to it. I might have 100mg which is 1 cup of coffees worth. the workout is 100% mine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do not cut it out all at once. Most people need to taper in order to avoid headaches or other side effect type things.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    is the coffee affecting your sleep? that is one way that it could be negatively affecting you, by impacting your recovery and your overall energy. if you're tired, you're drinking coffee, and you're tired because you're drinking coffee... a self-fulfilling prophecy.

i'm not sure, but all that caffeine can't be good in the long term. it can affect your blood pressure, and kidneys, and skin.
  • freak4iron
    Options
    is the coffee affecting your sleep? that is one way that it could be negatively affecting you, by impacting your recovery and your overall energy. if you're tired, you're drinking coffee, and you're tired because you're drinking coffee... a self-fulfilling prophecy.

i'm not sure, but all that caffeine can't be good in the long term. it can affect your blood pressure, and kidneys, and skin.

It may be affecting my quality of sleep, I'm not sure. All I know is it doesn't prevent me from falling asleep. Once my head hits the pillow I'm out within 10 minutes, like clock work, every time. I wake up about twice a night though.

I'm mainly concerned about the time it takes my body to bounce back from exercise... I've been running more then I ever have before, and my leg muscles just kick my asss some times.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    freak4iron wrote: »

It may be affecting my quality of sleep, I'm not sure. All I know is it doesn't prevent me from falling asleep. Once my head hits the pillow I'm out within 10 minutes, like clock work, every time. I wake up about twice a night though.

I'm mainly concerned about the time it takes my body to bounce back from exercise... I've been running more then I ever have before, and my leg muscles just kick my asss some times.

if you are waking up multiple times a night, are restless, wake up sweating, and a number of other things, can indicate that you are not sleeping well.

i can tell you that if your body is taking time to bounce back from exercise, coffee isn't going to help it. i mean, some coffee can help, but not as much as you are consuming.

rest is important... just as important as the exercise you do, and the nutrition you put in your body. maybe even more important.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The coffee is a diuretic and you might be a bit dehydrated due to that... !st symptom of dehydration? Muscle cramping! Switching to decaf should help, but make yourself drink water before you allow a coffee...just saying, it might help you to discipline yourself to get enough fluids replenished. Good luck with this!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Too much caffeine can run some of the minerals and electrolytes out of your body, contributing to the leg cramps and what not. You don't necessarily need to quit using it, but if you reduce your intake to 2 or 3 cups a day of caffeinated drinks, you'll probably do better in this regard.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of coffee! Maybe if you even cut down to 2-3 cups per day I'm sure that would help (as @gothchiq said). From personal experience, going from lots of caffeine to zero sucks pretty bad!!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    lol yes, go to zero all of a sudden and your head is going to feel like it's exploding!