New Mom with baby weight to lose :)

Options
So I just wanted to introduce myself. I had a baby two weeks ago and am ready to get back to myself. Nothing too crazy yet since I am breast feeding. I don't know if there are any groups or anything on here for support but it would be great to hear from some ladies going through the same things. I gained 35 pounds and have lost 20 of it, but I want to get back down to a healthy weight for my height, which means about 70 pounds total.

Jen

Replies

• WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm a not so new mom....it took me 8 months to get a routine settled enough to include workouts and actually cooking good food lol. My advice is make sure you eat the extra 500 calories to support breastfeeding (you can add it to your food log - search breastfeeding) and make sure you're drinking tons of water! Everyone responds to weight loss and exercise (I'm guessing it will be a few weeks before you start) differently while breastfeeding, I've had a few supply scares, so make sure your changes are gradual. Congrats on your new baby!!
  • akichan
    akichan Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi Jennifer. I'm not a new mom, my daughter was born last June, but I can still relate to wanting to get the weight off. I just recently decided to buckle down and get the rest of the weight off I put on with my first baby and he's almost 4 now! Anyway, feel free to add me if you'd like. I'd love to offer you some support. Good luck! :)
  • angiec20
    angiec20 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Jen! I'm in a similar boat- had a baby about 8 weeks ago, and have been tracking here for about 4 weeks. I'm so glad I jumped right back in and got started on losing! It's going slowly but surely, but I feel so much better already. I haven't had any issues with supply yet (fingers crossed) and have been losing at a steady pace. Good luck to you!
  • jenniferarynn
    Options
    Thanks ladies!! We are no where close to a routine yet but today we went for a 6 mile walk and it was just so nice to get out of the house. I haven't put together anything for serious exercise, I was going to wait until my dr cleared me in a few weeks. I'm hoping between cooking healthy meals, breast feeding and walking, the baby weight won't be too bad. One can hope right :)
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My Aubrey was born a month ago. I've already lost more than I gained from pregnancy thanks to walking, eating right and breastfeeding. :smile: Once I get the clear to exercise again, I will have a lot of toning to do.
  • amazingmae
    amazingmae Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mae. I just had my 3rd child 3 months ago. Before my first child I was 135 lb and I went up to 150 after he was born. After my second child was born I was stuck at 170lb and now after my third I was stuck at 212. I just started MFP on Friday and I'm doing yoga and breastfeeding to loose weight. I just wanted to say hi and invite you (and any other new breastfeeding moms!) to add me as a friend.

And in response to WildcatMom82's comment about breast milk scares, I'm in the middle of that right now. I lost 4 lb in 3 days just by doing yoga and eating fewer calories but my milk supply is drying up. I guess I'm going to have to get on the fenugreek and increase my water intake!