290 to 160 in 16 months

Options
mark6281991
mark6281991 Posts: 15 Member
edited July 2015 in Success Stories
Not really much to add. I was incredibly unhealthy, I was really obese, I am only 5'6" so 290 is a lot. I started by making nutritious substitutions for soda and other sweets while adding an hour a day on a bike. (My knees were too bad to walk much) then 2 years after my initial start I completed an iron man triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike AND a 26.2 mile run) I'm a male and college student, studying health and physical fitness with a minor in nutrition. I'm a senior this year.

Replies

• silverwolfe2003
    silverwolfe2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mark, congrats on your weight loss! You truly are an inspiration to others...and to me!! You look amazing!
  • mark6281991
    Options
    Thanks, if you want to know anything more specific I'll be happy to answer. Like what I ate, why I started, etc. I just didn't want a 2 page initial post. Lol.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Excellent work. How much did your rate of loss slow over time? For example, how many lbs for each of the 16 months? Did your goal weight change over time? Are you at what you now consider to be an ideal weight for you? If so, how did you determine this weight? Are these too many questions? If not, why do triathlons always minimize the swimming component? 6.2 miles swimming is generally considered equivalent to a 26.2-mile marathon.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Fantastic transformation, and congrats to you on your major in school... you can now help others do exactly what YOU did!
  • mark6281991
    Options
    How much did your rate of loss slow over time? For example, how many lbs for each of the 16 months? My rate basically came to a screeching halt after about 55 pounds lost. my first month
    I lost about 30 pounds. Much of that was water weight from a clean diet but not all. The next month was around 15. The next was around 12.
    After that 8 was able to manage 2 pounds a week for a while, eventually getting to the point of about .75 pounds a week.

Did your goal weight change over time?
    Absolutely, my initial goal was 180,which would allow me into the military. By the time I got there though, I was not satisfied. I had so many people noticing my transformation I wanted to continue. So I made a new goal of 8% body fat.

Are you at what you now consider to be an ideal weight for you? Nope, I want to get down to about 150 or so then climb back up to around 170ish with muscle. It is a long term goal but I'm a visionary.

If so, how did you determine this weight?
    150 is around 7% body fat which is a little lower than my goal but I will likely gain a little fat when I start adding the muscle again.

why do triathlons always minimize the swimming component?
    I'm not really sure on this. I was exhausted in my upper body after this part though. I was looking forward to the bike ride so I could "rest" hahaha. I got first place though. 14 hours 32 minutes. With that though, I couldn't do a 6 mile swim!
  • dacarming
    dacarming Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did I read this right? You went from 290lb obese to getting first place in a triathlon?! Wow!! What an inspiration you are... Thanks for sharing.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    holy crap! awesome work
  • mark6281991
    Options
    dacarming wrote: »
    Did I read this right? You went from 290lb obese to getting first place in a triathlon?! Wow!! What an inspiration you are... Thanks for sharing.

That is correct. I will admit though, I was a little over my head when I went in. I loved the first one so 4 days later I did a second one. which I also won. However, doing so I got a few stress fractures and damaged tendons which are still recovering. This was back in October. Also It was held by my college and no student athletes were permitted to enter so I had limited competition as well. Still yet, 2 wins are a great accomplishment.
  • EdDowning2
    EdDowning2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratz!! Great job
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Good for you - amazing work!
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Very impressive competing in and winning two triathlons.
  • mark6281991
    Options
    Thank you very much.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ... I'm a male and college student, studying health and physical fitness with a minor in nutrition. I'm a senior this year.
    Also It was held by my college and no student athletes were permitted to enter so I had limited competition as well. Still yet, 2 wins are a great accomplishment.
    I was exhausted in my upper body after this part though. I was looking forward to the bike ride so I could "rest" hahaha. I got first place though. 14 hours 32 minutes. With that though, I couldn't do a 6 mile swim!
    I loved the first one so 4 days later I did a second one. which I also won. However, doing so I got a few stress fractures and damaged tendons which are still recovering. This was back in October.
    This is all so cool, but go easy on the running. I can't run any more because of major foot surgery to correct a chronic injury that never healed. Were all of the injuries due to the running part of the triathlon? Do you know your times for each portion?

I'm doing an Olympic distance triathlon on August 9th. Much shorter than an Ironman and I will walk the running part so I'm not focusing on time; just want to have fun.
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Now this is incredible! Congratulations! You've accomplished so much in such a short time! Amazing!
  • mark6281991
    Options
    This is all so cool, but go easy on the running. I can't run any more because of major foot surgery to correct a chronic injury that never healed. Were all of the injuries due to the running part of the triathlon? Do you know your times for each portion?

I'm doing an Olympic distance triathlon on August 9th. Much shorter than an Ironman and I will walk the running part so I'm not focusing on time; just want to have fun.

Not exact times. But I know that the bike took the most time, and the run was actually the shortest. I averaged about an 8:50 mile running which is pretty good considering everything. The injury though, is something I've struggled with because I took 2 weeks of of exercise instead of the recommended 2 months. I didn't want that set back and it is now causing longer lingering issues. I didn't realize the importance of running shoes instead of basketball shoes until this event. Which is a major reason for the injury.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!