'Gap' sizing - is it accurate?

Options
Hi all
I went shopping today and found some smart trousers in Gap Outlet (UK size 16). Bearing in mind that my usual size is a UK 16 bottom and UK 14 top. The 16 were way to big so my hubbie fetched me a 14. I was quite excited as I have been a UK size 16 for a while and I am happy with this but the thought of being able to get into a size 14 was exciting - right?!! :love:
The 14 fitted better - still a bit baggy around the crotch area! Lol! :blushing:
I decided to buy them and went to the checkout to pay. I asked the lady on the till if they were an English size 14 and she said they were in fact an American size 14 which equals a UK size 18. You can imagine my disappointment. :sad: ....but at £16 they were a bargain.
My questions for everyone out there - but in particular members in the U.S.A - is Gap sizing a little on the small size? Please tell me the truth - I can take it..........................honest!! :wink:
I know that different shops sizes vary................the proof of this was that I then went to Fat Face (not sure of you have this store in U.S.A) and tried on a UK size 16 pair of shorts and I could have pulled them down without undoing the button or zip ...........!! :laugh:

Any comments?

Thanks guys.

Alison

Replies

• schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but I buy clothes from New Look and good old Primark..! I buy size 12 in New Look is size 14 in Primark!! I think that all shops have there own sizes, they are not all standard like they are supposed to be!! They lie!!!!!!!
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Remember it also depends on the style and cut of the garment as well. Being in retail you find out fast which companies size correctly and which play with the charts. Always try on for fit and don't get upset with the numbers... they are not set in stone (forgive the pun if your British:happy: )
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I believe my daughter has had the same issue with gap clothing being smaller than they should be. We are in Canada so I would think it's the same as the US. I recall her going in there for a 12 and not wanting to buy a 14 instead. Nothing else in her clothing had changed either. She could go to other stores and still get her usual size.
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't burst your bubble.... I don't think GAP runs true to size at all.. but usually in the other direction. I'm not sure about the other sizes, but I've experienced that both Gap and Old Navy tend to make their clothes LARGER not smaller than the stated size with clothes that fit me. for example I can wear a 4 or 6 in Gap Pants but most other co. I'd have to wear an 8 or 9.

however, maybe that just shows that GAP doesn't have any strict reference, so maybe while the smaller sizes are larger, the larger sizes are smaller!? who knows. I also notice that one pair of GAP pants size 4 fits me in one cut, and another pair in a different cut, the 6 feels too small..

The BIG LESSON though, is don't let your pants size determine anything! It's all about how you feel !
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I recently went in to the GAP in the US to get new jeans since my size 12's from 3 years ago were too big. I started with a size 10 and ended up going all the way down to a size 6 (that were still baggy in the back side). Yes, I've lost almost 35 pounds, but I was shocked. Depending on where I go, I now wear anything from size 6 to 10. We definitely don't have standardized sizing, and much of it is "vanity sized." Similarly, a recent trip to H&M resulted in sizes 6, 8, 10, AND 12. Go figure.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I started here I had size 16 Fat Face jeans and size 10 Gap jeans.....but it was the fact that the Gap jeans were becoming impossible to wear that made me wind up round here! So, I'd say Gap 10s are a bit like a UK 15.

But one style to another varies too.
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I find in some gap clothing I am down sizes in most pants, and others I have to go up a size from that. It really depends on the item. I do however notice I get the baggy crotch from most of their pants now... it is weird! lol However, in comparison to American Eagle, Aeropostle, and Hollister...Gap sizes are larger.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't burst your bubble.... I don't think GAP runs true to size at all.. but usually in the other direction. I'm not sure about the other sizes, but I've experienced that both Gap and Old Navy tend to make their clothes LARGER not smaller than the stated size with clothes that fit me. for example I can wear a 4 or 6 in Gap Pants but most other co. I'd have to wear an 8 or 9.

however, maybe that just shows that GAP doesn't have any strict reference, so maybe while the smaller sizes are larger, the larger sizes are smaller!? who knows. I also notice that one pair of GAP pants size 4 fits me in one cut, and another pair in a different cut, the 6 feels too small..

The BIG LESSON though, is don't let your pants size determine anything! It's all about how you feel !

Completely agree same for me
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    They may be the same or not. Clothing companies practice "vanity sizing" which makes us feel better because all of a sudden, we fit into a smaller size, even if in reality, it's not. It might be hard to not look at the size (I too, am a victim) but what should be in consideration is the FIT and not the size. Vanity sizing is a marketing strategy.
  • cath1024
    cath1024 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find GAP sizes run larger - i usally wear a size US 10 but can wear an 8 in GAP.

On another note i bought a pair of crop jeans at American Eagle and like i said i would normally wear a size 10 in jeans there but low and behold this certain style (Boy Fit Crop) i was able to get in a size 4!!!!!!
    LOL i know the boy fit do run bigger because the are made to be baggy but i couldnt wait to get home and tell hubby i bought a size 4 jeans!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A wise philosopher named Yoda once said, "Size matters not."

I don't give a damn what the number on the tag says. If it fits and looks good, I'll buy it. Sure, I'm happy when I need to buy smaller clothes because mine are falling off, but there's so little consistency in clothing sizes that you can't use the label as any kind of guideline.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing is in full effect at the Gap. I magically go down one size in their clothes. They run very big.
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I find USA sizing very different to ours, even with the conversion to UK sizing. I work in retail, and all retailers use a different size model, so it will vary store to store. Some retailers even make their clothes larger than the standard size, as a customer will more likely shop in a store where they can buy a 14 rather than another store where they are a 16. Very sneaky, so dont worry about the sizing. Just buy what fits nice. x
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think Gap runs small. I can't wear them anymore, I am a size 8, and always have to go up to 10 or 12 to get the fit I want. It isn't worth the mental torture!
    I think very brand is different, you just have to forget the size and go with what you are comfortable in
  • Thompsonic7
    Thompsonic7 Posts: 32
    Options
    I've always found Gap came up very big.. Last year I got a summer dress from there in a size 6.. it wasn't even tight (and no the dress wasn't meant to be loose). It may have just been that particular garment but considering I went into the changing rooms with a 12 it's quite a difference..
  • jessgallison
    Options
    I dont mean to sound unhelpful either, but I find there sizing runs quiet large. Especially in things like slacks and tee shirts. I had to buy a size 2 pair of slacks when I usually get like, a 7 in jeans.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My Gap jeans have UK and US sizing in them. Check again... The checkout girl might have been wrong.

I find their size 10 a bit big, but nothing compared to Howies. They do inches. My waist is 29 inches on a good day, but their 28 inch is huge on me! Now that is truly vanity sizing!
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm too poor to buy gap, but I do have some Gap pants that I bought second hand. The only reason I said that is because I have no idea how the previous owner treated them. If they washed them in hot water or dried them with nuclear heat. They are the same "size" as the rest of my pants and they fit tight.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I don't buy Gap jeans anymore, because they always seem to be changing the fits of their jeans. I don't know why they do this to their customers, but it sucks!
  • philandrachel
    Options
    Gap and Old Navy both seem to size larger, well at least for me they do...