Eating healthy when not at home

Options
i cannot seem to eat healthy when I'm not home. Any advice?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan, use the app on your phone to make better choices, and commit to getting it done.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Do you make stuff to take with you? What sort of places are you picking to eat?

If I know I'm going to be out all day I make my own lunch and snacks and put them in my bag. If I go for lunch with friends, I go to somewhere like EAT where it has labels on everything so you know exactly what you're eating.

You just need to be aware of your choices.
  • themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If i know im gonna be away, i pack stuff. If I suddenly find myself out and hungry and dont intend on going home, i hit up a grocery store & get (usually) a persian cucumber, a protein bar or something similat, and a vitamin water zero. When i was eating dairy, a greek yogurt also was good in place of the protein bar.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    There is always a better choice when making decisions for food leaving the house.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Do you find yourself not eating healthy when you're eating out, on vacation, or at work? There can be a bit of a difference between these, so knowing exactly what you're struggling with might be helpful.

For me, no matter where I am, it's all about planning.

If I'm going on vacation, I make sure to grocery shop when I get to my destination so I've got food that fits in with my plan and that I like. I also tend to give myself a bit of a break or increase my activity so I'm not feeling guilty for enjoying myself.

At work, I keep healthy snacks and make sure plan lunches so I won't be left hungry and not bringing anything. My Sundays are meal-prep days for the upcoming week.

If I'm eating out, I try to look at menus ahead of time if I can. I also budget my macros with the understanding that I'm going out and while I'll TRY to pick something healthy on the menu that I'm also going to enjoy, I'm still eating out and I can't control what goes into my food.

And if you overindulge, log it and move on. :)

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As someone else said package and bring food with you if you can. Use the supermarket as your drive thru. Most supermarkets have great convenience items that can be put together for a healthy meal on the go. Rotisserie chicken, or steamed and spiced shrimp with a prepared salad or some cut up fresh fruit makes a better meal than dive thru.
  • muffin1848
    muffin1848 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It's usually when we go to a restaurants
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are a tricky issue. Check out the menu the day before and get a rough idea of what you'll be eating and how many calories it is. Plan the rest of the day's menu around that meal. If necessary, go for a long walk to burn off some extra calories. With planning, you can make the calories work on restaurant days.
  • muffin1848
    Options
    Thx
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I'm going to shamefully plug my own thread. Here are some ideas for going out to eat.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213155/a-guide-to-going-out-to-eat#latest
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Once you've tracked your food at home for a while, it becomes easier to judge what will fit within your goals when eating out. That may leave you no option but the salad - but hey, at least almost every restaurant has salads! Ordering sandwiches in lettuce instead of a bun also helps sometimes and almost every place (even fast food places) will do it. And one of the most important mindsets to get out of is that of needing to "get your money's worth" - buffets, oversized sides, bottomless drinks, etc.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    muffin1848 wrote: »
    Thanks. It's usually when we go to a restaurants
    Don't be afraid to ask questions about how food is prepared and to ask for sauces on the side. I try to stick with baked, roasted or grilled and away from fried.
  • nora_gettingfitnow
    nora_gettingfitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I make things at home and take with me as I find that easier than arriving somewhere where the options are not always healthy and you end up kicking yourself for eating the wrong things.
    Don't get me wrong it took awhile for me to get into this habit and meant I had to get up slightly earlier or prepare the night before, but its definitely worth it in the long run.

(I still have my odd lazy day where I don't make the effort)

Best of luck with it :smile:
  • muffin1848
    Options
    Thanks. That really helps!
  • swiftyoung
    swiftyoung Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am on the road for work right now. As mentioned earlier, I plan out my meals for the days I will be away. For instance, I brought protein bars and 88% chocolate for snacks. I have the Subway double chicken salad w/ 1/2 subway vinaigrette and 1/2 red vinegar. I've ordered the same salad for dinner at the hotel.
  • NicoleCooney92
    NicoleCooney92 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eating out is doable if you plan. I usually pick the restaurant, so I pick somewhere that I know will have food I can eat. Also, certain cuisines (like Vietnamese) have options I know I enjoy and can fit into my macros. If I'm in a strange city and we're trying something new, I try to find the menu online. Finally, since eating out is usually a planned event like a date night or is a spontaneous treat after a major workout (endurance walk or cycle). I have time to either plan or I have the extra room in my macros to splurge (within reason).