Easy Dinner Recipes for Busy Mom

Options
StephCW03
StephCW03 Posts: 1 Member
Anyone have any simple dinner recipes that won't overload me on calories for the day? I have 2 young boys that keep me busy and i'm honestly not a great cook...so any suggestion would be much appreciated!! I'm not used to having to worry about how many carbs are in a meal, which I guess led me to having to join this site :expressionless:

Thanks all!

Replies

• jenng2385
    jenng2385 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Here's one I just tried the other day.. I loved it..

Baked potatoes and broccoli..

• 4 russet potatoes quartered
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 14 oz Broccoli Florets (fresh or frozen)
    • 2tbsp Butter
    • 2tbsp Flour
    • ¼ tsp dry mustard powder
    • 1 Cup Milk
    • 1½ cups Sharp shredded Cheese
    • Salt and Pepper

1- Preheat oven to 400° and coat your quartered potatoes with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt, make for about 35-45 minutes or until done

2-when potatoes are almost done, stream or boil (which ever you'd prefer) you're broccoli for 4-5 minutes.. Until tender..

3-meanwhile, toss butter into saucepan, (low heat) when melted, add flour and mustard powder, whisk until lumps are gone.. (about a minute)
    Slowly mix in milk, and turn up heat a bit, until mixture thickens slightly.. Stir in your shredded cheese, then simple add everything together in a baking dish, and ready to serve..

I enjoyed this recipe, it was easy, and quick, and well I hope you'll enjoy as well...
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do you have an evening around once a week to batch make things? If you do then the obvious ones like chilli or bolognese sauce (pasta for the kids, vegetables as a side with yours or smaller portion of pasta) or you could do this low cal moussaka recipe (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10610/the-ultimate-makeover-moussaka) or these sweet and sour meatballs, I usually change the sausages to turkey mince (http://cookingwithkam.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/lorraine-pascales-sweet-and-sour-pork.html).

If you don't have time to batch make then chicken in a mushroom and low cal crème fraîche sauce with vegetables is quick and you can make two days at a time or chicken (use some kind of spice and griddle/fry/grill or buy pre cooked) and refried beans from a can with raw peppers, salsa, cheese, avocado if you have the calories spare.
  • Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Turkey tacos! Ive had them all week, makes a huge batch and hubby loves them!

1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp brown sugar
    1 med onion
    1 pkg Jennie o ground turkey lean
    1/2 jar generic salsa (I use hot to give more flavor)
    1 pkg old el paso taco mix ( I use the extra spicy)
    I can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can whole kernel corn

Heat olive oil in skillet, adding onions and brown sugar, cook until caramelized
    Add ground turkey, salsa, taco mix, mix together and cook until meat is done
    Add beans and corn, simmer until most water evaporates

Do not add water like the taco seasoning says because the salsa has lots of water in it.

Total prep and cook time 45 minutes

Total recipe is 6 servings, 200g per serving. Each serving is 348 calories.

I usually eat with a couple of corn tortillas, cheese, light sour cream or make a taco slad with spinach. You can reduce calories further by using the Jennie o extra lean ground turkery.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Easy and quick is my game. You can do tacos which average about 200 cals per taco depending on what you put on them. I make my own refried beans which are very low in cals and everything else. Chili is super easy throw it in the crockpot and call it a day. Beef strognaff between 20-30 mins and 385-465 cals. Italian sausage tortellini. 450 cals takes 30 mins from start to finish in one pan. Anniversary chicken varys on the size of the chicken breast. Done in 30 mins.
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? Poke around for slow cooker recipes - throw ingredients in in the morning, and it's done when you're home!

Other than that, meatballs are pretty easy - spaghetti for the kids, spaghetti squash for you (also very easy - look up how to prepare it)
  • Klkbankert
    Klkbankert Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Salsa Chicken (Crockpot)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

NOTES:
    You may use half the packet of taco seasoning if you prefer.

I usually cook this all day and then the chicken is literally falling apart. Sometimes I shred the chicken and serve is in tortillas - other times I serve it over rice.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 197.2
    Total Fat: 6.8 g
    Cholesterol: 73.4 mg
    Sodium: 464.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 26.3 g
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin. Brown in nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Finish in oven. Steamed veggies for side.

Pita bread pizzas. Customizable for both your boys and yourself.

Shredded chicken tacos. Kid friendly.

Baked chicken strips. Use panko bread crumbs or shake & bake.

Baked fish. Put frozen fish filets in foil. Top with cajun seasoning and lemon sliced. Pair with brown rice.

Hamburgers made with ground round. Use 100 calorie sandwich rounds or even lettuce for bun. You can do the same with ground chicken. But with the chicken, add some diced veggies for moisture.

One of our favorites is to take ground chicken, add an egg, breadcrumbs, dried italian seasoning, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Form into meatballs. Bake and toss with light marinara and pasta. Some people like the whole wheat pasta or even the zucchini noodles.

Best advice is to take your favorite recipes and lighten them up. Bake, grill or roast instead of frying.

• mkdecker3
    mkdecker3 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jenng2385 wrote: »
    Here's one I just tried the other day.. I loved it..

Baked potatoes and broccoli..

• 4 russet potatoes quartered
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 14 oz Broccoli Florets (fresh or frozen)
    • 2tbsp Butter
    • 2tbsp Flour
    • ¼ tsp dry mustard powder
    • 1 Cup Milk
    • 1½ cups Sharp shredded Cheese
    • Salt and Pepper

1- Preheat oven to 400° and coat your quartered potatoes with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt, make for about 35-45 minutes or until done

2-when potatoes are almost done, stream or boil (which ever you'd prefer) you're broccoli for 4-5 minutes.. Until tender..

3-meanwhile, toss butter into saucepan, (low heat) when melted, add flour and mustard powder, whisk until lumps are gone.. (about a minute)
    Slowly mix in milk, and turn up heat a bit, until mixture thickens slightly.. Stir in your shredded cheese, then simple add everything together in a baking dish, and ready to serve..

I enjoyed this recipe, it was easy, and quick, and well I hope you'll enjoy as well...

• linboelle
    linboelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a turkey chili recipe that I love! It takes about 20 minutes and is a healthy option. I can't find the original recipe but I've made it so many times that I know it (at least I know the variations I've been using for it)

Turkey Chili:

1 lb. Lean ground turkey
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1 or 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
    2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 14ish Oz can of diced tomatoes (I say 14ish because I can't remember how big the normal sized cans are so bare with me) undrained
    1 14ish oz. Can of corn, drained
    1 14ish oz. Can black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Any additional seasonings of your choice

In medium sauce pan on medium high, add olive oil. Add onions and garlic and saute until tender. Add turkey and cook until brown. (You can drain the liquid after turkey is cooked but I don't because I like the flavor it adds.) Add your salt, pepper and seasonings of choice and stir until blended. Add the diced tomatoes, corn, black beans and tomato paste to the sauce pan and stir together.

Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Let simmer for about 15 minutes and you're done!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Most of our weekday dinners are simply some kind of protein (usually on the grill seasoned or marinated)...with some kind of veggie side (steamed, sauteed, or roasted) and some kind of starch or grain (baked potato, quinoa, brown rice). I keep things really simple during the week.
  • MMGC69
    MMGC69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Salsa Chicken (Crockpot)

1 cup salsa

Serve with rice.

NOTES:

I usually cook this all day and then the chicken is literally falling apart. Sometimes I shred the chicken and serve is in tortillas - other times I serve it over rice.

Nutritional Info
    Amount Per Serving

I really hope to try this at home! Gotta get me a crock pot!!!! I am new to cooking. I went from just me, to my wife and 3 kids! I would like to save this recipebfor future use, how do I do this?
  • MMGC69
    Options
    MMGC69 wrote: »
    Salsa Chicken (Crockpot)

1 cup salsa

Serve with rice.

NOTES:

Nutritional Info
    Amount Per Serving

I really hope to try this at home! Gotta get me a crock pot!!!! I am new to cooking. I went from just me, to my wife and 3 kids! I would like to save this recipe for future use, how do I do this?

• MMGC69
    Options
    linboelle wrote: »
    I have a turkey chili recipe that I love! It takes about 20 minutes and is a healthy option. I can't find the original recipe but I've made it so many times that I know it (at least I know the variations I've been using for it)

Turkey Chili:

1 lb. Lean ground turkey
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1 or 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
    2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 14ish Oz can of diced tomatoes (I say 14ish because I can't remember how big the normal sized cans are so bare with me) undrained
    1 14ish oz. Can of corn, drained
    1 14ish oz. Can black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Any additional seasonings of your choice

In medium sauce pan on medium high, add olive oil. Add onions and garlic and saute until tender. Add turkey and cook until brown. (You can drain the liquid after turkey is cooked but I don't because I like the flavor it adds.) Add your salt, pepper and seasonings of choice and stir until blended. Add the diced tomatoes, corn, black beans and tomato paste to the sauce pan and stir together.

Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Let simmer for about 15 minutes and you're done!

This is definitely going to be a winner for me...can't wait to try it! I think tomorrow would be a good day! My wife first day off and she loves tacos! Thank you for sharing!
  • MallowM
    MallowM Posts: 66 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ingredient:
    3-4 chicken breasts
    A bottle of Wing sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays Sauce/ Marinade)

Stick the breasts with a fork a couple of times and chuck them in a crock pot, pour wing sauce over the top, set on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3. Then remove breasts and shred them with a hand mixer, mix/spoon in some of the remaining sauce in the crock pot (to your desired consistency), and put the shredded buffalo chicken into sub rolls. We top ours with provolone and blue cheese dressing with a side of broccoli and baby carrots lol. It also freezes extremely well.
  • Jimsterintexas
    Jimsterintexas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good pressure cooker. You can make numerous meals in minutes. 5 minutes of prep time to cut up vegetables or cut up meat, and then toss it in the cooker and hit start. In most cases, within 20 to 30 minutes, your meal will be done. No pots, pans, or standing over a hot stove. We have a Cuisinart Pressure Cooker, and we use it all the time. It makes cooking meals fast and easy. Jim.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the crock pot too. Our favorite right now is the honey sesame chicken from the www.skinnytaste.com website. I serve it in lettuce cups with rice for the adults and over rice for my boys (who are 2 and 4). Hubby and I like to top ours with some spicy garlic chili paste. That website has a good crock pot section. We are also partial to the santa fe chicken recipe on there.

When not using the crock pot I cook on the grill alot. That way the boys can play in the yard and I can watch them. Added benefit is no clean up. I'll do corn on the cob (husked) and bbq chicken on the grill and then throw in a regular or fruit salad (since my kids won't eat regular salad yet) No indoor cooking, very little clean up. For the corn, just husk it and throw it right on the grill about 2 minutes a side. If you want to get fancy sprinkle it with some cotija cheese when it comes off. So good.
  • AndiVentry
    AndiVentry Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love the cookbook "The Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook" - all of the meals have nutritional information in them and are low calorie and fairly healthy and my kids will eat them (BONUS!).