Meal Prep

Hi! I need a little help with meal prep tips for anyone who consistently does it? Thank you!!!

Replies

• WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    What kind of tips info do you need most?

For some reason the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post is -Make zucchini ribbons using a regular vegetable peeler, shaving down to where the seeds are. Take the middle part of the zucchinis, slice 'em up, marinate in balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the ribbons liberally with salt to pull out some of the moisture, and leave 'em sit while you prepare the red sauce with meat. I like a nice tomato-basil sauce for this, but whatever your favorite variety of jarred sauce is will work, I'm sure. Steam the sliced zucchini or sautee in olive oil to serve on the side, or even simmer them in with the red sauce. Then drain and rince the zucchini ribbons. Put 'em in a microwave safe dish, and heat on high for 1-2 minutes. Stir, then heat for another 1-2 minutes, if need be. Figure 2 medium zucchinis per person. Depending on your needs you may wish to add garlic bread. Finish up with a fresh fruit salad (yogurt makes a great sauce).

But I am not sure this is what you are looking for.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I like to cook one pot meals on the weekend. I make soup, chili, stew, burritos, frittatas/egg bakes, curries, nuggets, meatballs, sauces, mini-meatloaf or any muffin tin recipe, etc. I just portion and freeze in individual containers.
    I also make things like batches of chicken, rice, cauliflower rice in portions so I can pull those anytime too.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I found planning my menu for the week really helps me prep. On Sunday I sit down and plan and typically will prep what I may need to make the meals (i.e cutting vegetables, browning meat) Then there is never a question about what are we going to eat. Hope this helps!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I like to cook one pot meals on the weekend. I make soup, chili, stew, burritos, frittatas/egg bakes, curries, nuggets, meatballs, sauces, mini-meatloaf or any muffin tin recipe, etc. I just portion and freeze in individual containers.
    I also make things like batches of chicken, rice, cauliflower rice in portions so I can pull those anytime too.

This. In addition, I'll cook about 10lbs of chicken breasts in the crockpot (usually overnight), shred it and then freeze individual portions. I can then use it to make chicken salad, pulled chicken, tacos, top a salad, enchiladas, etc.
  • tottie3912
    tottie3912 Posts: 48 Member

Same here with everything she said. Yumm curry..... I also love using the grill on weekends to make batches of meat & veggie kabobs, grilled eggplant, rotisserie chicken ect. Pre making portion size servings and freezing/refrigerating is so handy! And of course things like salad or hard boiled eggs I prep/make the night before I will be needing. Then just grab and go! Takes time getting used to doing this if you never have before. But then it becomes habit. Is a must for me as I take homemade food to work. Leaves everyone at the office drooling. lol And pre making my meals keeps me level-headed and guilt-free with no temptation to binge on junk!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Taking some guess at what you are meaning, but I could be wrong.

I make a monthly meal list once I get my work schedule. This can always change based off of sales and what I feel like (sometimes I need to have a steak), but it's a good start. It allows me to make sure that I have X number of meat free meals and that I am using what I have on hand (like boneless skinless chicken breasts).

Weekly I make my grocery list based off of my meal plan and the sales at the grocery store I go to.

Grocery day I do my shopping and prep when I get home (which is what I should be doing right now instead of typing this post). This includes cutting up vegetables for snacks and meals, hard boiling eggs, making any breads/sweets, or making dips/dressings.

Twice a month I may make a large batch of something like shredded chicken, burritos, soup, or the like and freeze it. This gives me "frozen meals" without the price/ingredients of what you get at the store.
  • TerraRoberts24
    TerraRoberts24 Posts: 34 Member
    One of my favorite things is to boil and shred chicken breast for the week and I used it in so many different ways. I sometimes making chicken tacos out of it. Sometimes I'll put a little bbq sauce with it. Sometimes I make buffalo chicken wraps out of it or salads. But that's definitely one of my favorite things to prep. It usually takes me a good hour or so, but then it's handy for the week.