Gained 10 pounds in 3 days

how is that possible? Even in water weight? Yes, I've drunk alcohol and yes I haven't eaten well. But TEN POUNDS?????

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It probably isn't possible. You probably have water weight from drinking and not eating "well" (sodium can make you retain water).

Make sure to hydrate yourself, get back on your regular plan, and you should see the extra water weight come off over the next few days.
  • hasturm
    hasturm Posts: 10 Member
    Ugh, that sounds so frustrating! It could be that you weighed yourself at different times of the day; my weight fluctuates about 5 lbs throughout the day. For whatever reason this occurred, try not to let it get you down. You can do this; it's a "slow and steady wins the race" thing.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Oh trust me its possible.

alcohol+ foods more likely high in sodium+ 3 days of it= I could gain close to 15 pounds
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited July 2015
    1 gallon of water weighs nearly 8 pounds and your body is more than 50% water. Generally, women have more water fluctuations too. Don't sweat it, remember the big picture, long game, have patience.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    how is that possible? Even in water weight? Yes, I've drunk alcohol and yes I haven't eaten well. But TEN POUNDS?????

Hang in there it is mostly water weight and the scale will come back down in due time.
  • tbbhealthanista
    tbbhealthanista Posts: 25 Member
    Water weight is a scale killer! I've stepped on it to assess the "damage" after vacation or a weekend that I didn't eat according to plan, and it usually doesn't end well ;) Is it possible for 1 or 2lbs? Yes, but drink plenty of water (sound counterintuitive, but water pushes water), and nourish your body with fruits, veggies and lean meats and you'll be good to go!

*it's part of the reason I'm trying to train myself to hit the scale only 1 day a week* You got this girl!
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    It's important to remember: One gallon of water weighs 8 pounds! No wonder the scale fluctuates so much; just a little water retention can make the needle wobbly, but it doesn't mean you aren't losing weight.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Unless you ate 35,000 calories over your maintenance, then you didn't really gain this. I easily fluctuate 5-7 lbs with a bad weekend but it usually is back down to normal by Wednesday. Drink a lot of water and forgive yourself.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    I've gained 10 pounds in 1 day after splurging. Realize that you would have had to consume 35,000 calories over your maintenance over the last 3 days in order to actually gain 10 pounds of body weight. Highly unlikely. Most likely water weight. Go back to your normal routine and after about 1 week, you should be back to around where you were.

Exactly - I don't know if even The Rock eats 35,000 calories in 3x days, let alone above and beyond maintenance.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    yep. I've gained 5 lbs. in one day if I had a higher-sodium day, or was at a hormonal time of the month. get a little crazy with the weights and do some muscle damage on top of that, there's a couple more.
    Just wait patiently, it will go away.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    It's important to remember: One gallon of water weighs 8 pounds! No wonder the scale fluctuates so much; just a little water retention can make the needle wobbly, but it doesn't mean you aren't losing weight.

And the majority of your weight IS water weight! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_water
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    100mg sodium causes 1 cup of water retention, which = ~ 0.5 lb.

Just to illustrate, a McDonald's Cheeseburger ( 680mg ) has enough sodium in it to cause an increase of 3.5lbs of water weight, if it is in excess of your RDA. The calories ( 290 ) in it are only enough to cause < 0.1 lb increase in weight, if in excess.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I've gained 18 pounds in 3 days, so it's definitely possible. Drink lots of water, keep your sodium under goal and it should drop off again.