Running advice?

Options
I just started to run for the first time today. Whenever I have tried in the past, I could barely run a minute without having to quiet. But I was also overweight then. I lost 50 lbs, and still have about 10 I want to go. Anyways, I've been walking roughly 6 miles a day and decided to try running too. I ran a mile straight this morning in 13 minutes and was super proud of myself for making it that far! I'd like to eventually work my way up to possibly running a marathon someday.

Anyways, I guess I just am wondering if anyone has any tips and advice? I've heard from many to not push it too much, otherwise you will cause your legs to be in a lot of pain. So should I stick to running just a mile for now, and then slowly increase to more?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The stickied "most helpful" posts at the top of each section contain a ton of good information. Including gems like this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Doing a run walk alternate has worked great for me
  • TerraRoberts24
    TerraRoberts24 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! Can you tell I'm a newbie? lol. Geez, if I had just taken the time to look first I'd have seen that. Thanks again! Appreciate it!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The stickied "most helpful" posts at the top of each section contain a ton of good information. Including gems like this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1

I was too slow. Took me a minute to get to it. It used to be stickied, now it's in a sticky.
    This is a great read.
  • scamp07
    scamp07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've found the best way to train is by using a heart rate monitor. There are a ton of training methods out there but I've found the Maffetone Method works very well for new runners. You run at a certain heart rate and over time as your fitness improves you run faster at a low heart rate. If you follow the method you are guaranteed not to over do it. You may find that you even have to still do some walking at the set heart rate but you'll soon be able to see some good results.
    Do a Google search and you'll find a lot more to read about it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The best piece of advice I can offer is to not become a victim of your own enthusiasm. Most running injuries are the result of too much, too soon, too fast. Take your time building up distances, be consistent but don't run every day (especially when you're new to it) , cross-train (ride a bike, swim, lift weights) to address muscular imbalances which helps with injury resistance and adds variety.

Most importantly......have fun, run for yourself! If you do it right running is something you can enjoy for the rest of your life!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is good.

My other advice us to get some decent running shoes
  • GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Definitely take it slow. Take it from me, I learned the hard way. Currently I have some knee, Achilles, and hamstring issues because I pushed hard. I'm the type that pushes beyond limits, like way beyond even though I shouldn't and know all too well I shouldn't but do it anyway. Currently I run 8.7km but it's been through a lot of sacrifice and sometimes I don't know if it's worth it. I paid a price with my body but miraculously I am making gains despite my issues. I'mtelling you this so you ddon't make the mistakes I did because I wish I could go back and do it differently and better. Start with a mile injecting some interval runs in between and work your way up. I focused on distance and speed at the same time and now here I am.. :/
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Get some great music! It really will help.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Get good running shoes, and take it slow. If you try to run too far, too hard, too fast, you'll get frustrated and give up. Running is a wonderful sport, so give yourself the time to become a stronger runner :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    A run/walk combo is best way to start. C25K or a plan on Jeff Galloway's website are the most popular.

But the simplest way is to run for 1 minute walk for 5 and repeat for half hour to 45 minutes.
    Do this 3x a week.
    Slowly build up the amount of time you run while decreasing the time you walk in between each week.
    (so week 2 try and run 90 seconds while walking for 4 minutes 30 seconds then repeat)
    Repeat weekly until you can run 30 minutes non-stop.

Keep your running pace slow enough that you could have a conversation while running.